28 Jun, 2010, Vladaar wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I like it, but I suppose an option though for those who are seeing impaired would be nice.
29 Jun, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 22nd comment:
Ssolvarain said:
The imc box obviously makes you feel insecure about the size of your junk, so this should be top priority, admins.
DO YOU HEAR ME?!

Your ruining his internet and life experience with that little box. He can't even scroll his page down, poor guy.

I think this is unnecessary and is on the verge of being a moderator actionable offense. Perhaps you could add some intelligent arguments to this rather than being a jerk. I mean seriously. Questioning his security in the size of his "junk" is immature and completely unhelpful to your side of the argument.
29 Jun, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 23rd comment:
I've spoken to Ssolvarain so let's get back on topic please.
06 Jul, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 24th comment:
So, Davion/Kiasyn, are you guys still not going to add a disable option for the imc box or what?
06 Jul, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 25th comment:
Igabod said:
I think this is unnecessary.

I feel the same about the original post. Sure, my response lacked finess, but I felt it portayed my opinion in an accurate and humorous way. Not even worth hitting a poll button over. If you're gonna put yourself behind a change to the website, you might as well make it something important. The network is a part of the MUDding community, which we all belong to. It's on a website that's about MUDs, specifically their code and design which would include (I'm assuming here) most of the IMC peoples. I don't necessarily need to partake in the conversation to skim over the log and enjoy it. It's also a fairly small box (hence the part about his hypothetical feeling of inadequacy…) that's easily overlooked or ignored. Do you walk up to a homeless man and tell him to get off the sidewalks because you're a taxpayer and you don't like homelessness? Of course not, you just leave him alone and go on about your own business and leave him to his. I feel the same way about the box. It's not detracting from my experience with the website. If it were to have a negative affect, I'd deal. Accepting things you don't necessarily like is just a part of growing up, isn't it?
06 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 26th comment:
I dunno. I personally wasn't offended by what you said. I think certain phrases to some people might just seem as unnecessarily tactless. Those usually trigger these types of warnings. Cracking jokes about anatomy size is probably one of those things. But just for the record, I think learning when and where to use penis jokes effectively is part of growing up. ;)
06 Jul, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 27th comment:
Well it is less annoying now that it's dead. :-)
06 Jul, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 28th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
If you're gonna put yourself behind a change to the website, you might as well make it something important.

It is important, to me.

Ssolvarain said:
It's on a website that's about MUDs, specifically their code and design which would include (I'm assuming here) most of the IMC peoples.

Recently on ichat said:
[Mon Jul 5 11:10:09 2010] Parhelion@Talon: dies.
[Tue Jul 6 05:28:24 2010] Hishia@ShinobClash: Meow!
[Tue Jul 6 05:42:26 2010] Sys@BlackHole: kerchack! BLAM!

You know what that has to do with MUD coding and design? NOT A GODDAMNED THING.

Ssolvarain said:
Do you walk up to a homeless man and tell him to get off the sidewalks because you're a taxpayer and you don't like homelessness?

Your analogy is pointless and nonsensical.

Ssolvarain said:
It's not detracting from my experience with the website.

Your preferences are different from mine.

Ssolvarain said:
Accepting things you don't necessarily like is just a part of growing up, isn't it?

Capitulation may be one part of life, but to try and change things for the better (whatever one's idea of better happens to be) is also a part of life - if not the very purpose of life itself. For you to be condescending to me as though I'm somehow a naive child for trying to effect a change on Mudbytes that is beneficial to everyone is absurd.

So, to summarize what I've said time and again now, I'm not interested in IMC2. I'll probably never be interested in it, or at the very least I'll remain completely uninterested in it for as long as Davion/Kiasyn continue to try and force it on me. The only reason I ever visit Mudbytes is for the forums; specifically the ones about MUD code and design. In that regard, it's particularly ironic (and irritating) to me that Davion/Kiasyn will actually do something like implement user options to filter out specific sub-forums as desired (which is rather useful) but still won't add an option to filter out the ichat box.
06 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 29th comment:
I demand that the recent code comments box be removed from the home page.
06 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 30th comment:
Lobotomy said:
The only reason I ever visit Mudbytes is for the forums; specifically the ones about MUD code and design.

This might be a shocker, but you could bookmark the forum rather than the front page, and avoid everything that you don't want to see.

In that regard, it's particularly ironic (and irritating) to me that Davion/Kiasyn will actually do something like implement user options to filter out specific sub-forums as desired (which is rather useful) but still won't add an option to filter out the ichat box.

Davion made it clear why he doesn't want to filter the ichat box. You can disagree with that (and obviously you do) but it is relatively unlikely that you are going to change his mind, especially if your tactic is to yell more shrilly at him. In the meantime, the rest of us are "forced" to listen to it. :wink:
06 Jul, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 31st comment:
David Haley said:
This might be a shocker, but you could bookmark the forum rather than the front page, and avoid everything that you don't want to see.

This might be a shocker, but no you can't. The forum filtering options don't work on that page; and, even if they did, you still don't see a summary of the most recent posts as with the recent posts list box on the front page.

As I've said before, I am not going to resort to these unintuitive little workarounds. They only serve to further encourage Davion/Kiasyn's willful incompetence.

David Haley said:
but it is relatively unlikely that you are going to change his mind

Yes, I know, and I've said as much from the start. I'll be giving up on the matter soon enough as it is, anyways, so you won't have to fret much longer, David Haley.
06 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 32nd comment:
Lobotomy said:
This might be a shocker, but no you can't. The forum filtering options don't work on that page; and, even if they did, you still don't see a summary of the most recent posts as with the recent posts list box on the front page.

Uh…… You are aware that there is a recent posts list, no? Just bookmark that, and you'll get everything your heart apparently desires. You'll even get more than a handful of recent posts. And hey – no ichat box! Yay! Problem solved.

Lobotomy said:
so you won't have to fret much longer

Considering your attitude thus far, I find this statement somewhat amusing.
06 Jul, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 33rd comment:
Runter said:
I demand that the recent code comments box be removed from the home page.

A user option would be nice.
06 Jul, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 34th comment:
David Haley said:
Uh…… You are aware that there is a recent posts list, no? Just bookmark that, and you'll get everything your heart apparently desires. You'll even get more than a handful of recent posts. And hey – no ichat box! Yay! Problem solved.

…and you still don't get it. What a surprise.
06 Jul, 2010, Kline wrote in the 35th comment:
Lobotomy said:
stuff

You know what that has to do with MUD coding and design? NOT A GODDAMNED THING.
07 Jul, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 36th comment:
Kline said:
stuff

Infinite loop. Also, the context in which you're trying to mock me is incorrect. Not only is this is the general chatter forum, but the way in which Ssolvarain compared ichat to Mudbytes was in regards to the MUD code and design forums of Mudbytes as though the two are of the same purpose; they are not.

Now then, unless you're done being senselessly obstructive to the thread, please do piss off.

Edit: Typo.
07 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
The recent posts list meets every criterion you gave. Unless you have some reason to reject it besides insulting my intelligence, it's pretty easy to conclude that you are more interested in being vindicated than in having your problem solved.
07 Jul, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 38th comment:
David Haley said:
The recent posts list meets every criterion you gave. Unless you have some reason to reject it besides insulting my intelligence, it's pretty easy to conclude that you are more interested in being vindicated than in having your problem solved.

No. It. Doesn't. You're insulting your own intelligence by continuing to miss what I've very clearly stated over and over again. The recent posts list page is not the front page. The entire core of this issue is about the front page itself. If I cared to use other methods of viewing the recent post list, I would already be doing that by now. My preference is to view Mudbytes from the front page. How much more clear about that do I have to be for you to actually understand it?
07 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 39th comment:
So… at the risk of insulting my own intelligence again (!!) "the only reason [you] ever visit Mudbytes is for the forums; specifically the ones about MUD code and design". When it was suggested that you go straight to the forums page, because by your own statement that's all you care about anyhow, you said it didn't work for you because "the forum filtering options don't work on that page"; furthermore, you said that "even if they did, you still don't see a summary of the most recent posts".

Why can't you give a single practical criterion that isn't met by the recent posts list? How is the front page recent posts list actually better than the, err, recent posts list? You said yourself that the only thing you care about is the forum section, so, ah, what exactly is it about the front page that you want to see because you don't care about anything else on it?

Yes, I get it already, you've been going on and on about the front page. Hey, I'm just trying to solve your problem here, assuming you're actually interested in problems being solved.

What I'm understanding from your post is not that you have some good reason for disliking the front page, but rather either (a) you have some irrational preference that isn't worth anybody's effort to satisfy, or (b) you just want to be told you were right all along rather than have practical problems be solved. Take your pick. :wink:

Davion is apparently not going to change the ichat box. Perhaps the cheat-sheet version of what I'm trying to tell you is the following: identify your practical problems and try to get those solved, or just deal with it. You're complaining in full knowledge, so you say, of the fact that this is useless. Whatever you're trying to achieve is a mystery to me. On that note, I will stop "fretting" (teehee) and leave you to your (a) and (b).
07 Jul, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 40th comment:
David Haley said:
Hey, I'm just trying to solve your problem here, assuming you're actually interested in problems being solved.

There isn't anyone here other than Davion or Kiasyn who can solve this problem; I thought I had already made that crystal clear. My one and only intention here has been for the ichat box to be given a user preference option to allow a member to disable it and enable it at will. That's all. It is that simple.

If there were an actual good and logical reason why the option hasn't been, or won't be, implemented, I could accept it. There isn't one, however. None. All I've heard so far tantamounts to mere laziness, arrogance, and/or ego on their part. It's not a difficult change. It's not a time-consuming change (and for anyone to even try and imply that they haven't had the fractional amount of spare time to implement that change between now and last year would be beyond absurd). It's not even a change that alters the purpose and effect of the box itself! I may as well be asking for a curtain to be put on a window. It's a no-brainer idea. There is no logical way to defend being opposed to such a change, and that's a core aspect of why I've been so up in arms about this whole thing from the start.

If my request is so unreasonable, why even add any other user options at all then? Why let people enable a censor? Why give filtering options for the recent posts list? What's the point in doing all of that but not this? What's the difference I'm not seeing? How is this supposed to make sense to me?

I sincerely don't want to cause problems, or create needless arguments, or feed these goddamned trolls, or rile people up, or do any of the other stupid shit you seem to think I'm after here. I would like to be able to know that when I'm using, posting, and contributing to this site that it isn't run by a couple of half-wits who would so readily and constantly snub such an innocuous change and all for no good reason. Using the alternative methods of viewing the forums that were suggested - all of that, aside from being methods I dislike anyways (as a matter of preference), just won't fix that kind of problem. As I've said, it just encourages them to keep doing nothing.

David Haley said:
Davion is apparently not going to change the ichat box. … You're complaining in full knowledge, so you say, of the fact that this is useless.

Well, I had thought that when the filtering options went in for the recent post list that there was finally some small glimmer of hope that I could appeal for the aforementioned change and have it dealt with. However, as said, I've been sorely mistaken, and all I'm doing lately is just repeating the same things over and over again to no avail; which, frankly, I've had more than enough of. I would have liked to have been able to see the option added, say a simple "Thanks" or "Thank you" or "I appreciate it", enable it on my account, and then go back to using the site as before, but…oh well. C'est la vie.
20.0/63