13 Oct, 2010, Ludwig wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I love GMud, even though it's old and unsupported. Anyone else use Gmud?
13 Oct, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 2nd comment:
GMUD is what I will always use. It's so simple… and I like that. Though, I wish it had timed triggers.
13 Oct, 2010, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
I started on GMud. I quickly grew to zMUD and now cMUD, though.
13 Oct, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 4th comment:
I used GMud for quite a long time, only really started using MUSHclient when I added MSP to my mud, as I needed a client that supported sound. Used TinTin++ when I was testing MSDP, then back to MUSHclient for my plugin work, and also used Mudlet when adding ATCP and fixing an MCCP bug.

GMud doesn't support any protocols at all though. And when I say "doesn't support" I don't mean it correctly refuses handshakes, or even ignores them - it tries to display the sequences. I didn't really see this as a problem until I started adding protocols, but now I find GMud almost unusable - I do still offer a prepacked version on my website, but I'm seriously considering removing it, as I don't think it does my mud any favours if newbies download GMud for their first experience.

These days I mostly use MUSHclient, but I do occasionally use Mudlet and TinTin++ as well, and I've tried out a few others. If you're doing protocol work on your mud I think it's well worth testing the mud out with several clients. Quite a few muds have ended up with broken MXP implementations because they only ever tested with zMUD, and I've run into similar issues with MCCP (freezing Mudlet) and ATCP (displaying junk in CMUD).

Even as a player I think it's well worth trying out a few different clients, but it does seem that the old "familiarity" issue rears its ugly head once again - a lot of players prefer to stick with their favourite client.
13 Oct, 2010, Bobo the bee wrote in the 5th comment:
I used GMud for a brief time when shopping around for a good client, but found it to be, well, ugly and horrid. :wink: I started with RoA, used that for awhile, and got told to switch to MUSHClient by a friend and was instantly swayed (mostly because of MUSH's resizeable input buffer – an almost must-have for RPing, I think), bringing about my e-mail signature for a while of "Friends don't let Friends use RoA Client" before I grew up enough to realize that made RoA sound bad, and I have a major respect for people who put out Clients to use. I have a copy of zMUD and CMUD, but neither are installed on my system right now.
13 Oct, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
I started on GMud, eventually moved to ZMUD and now I use MUSHclient.

I never recommend GMUD, it's bugged and does not handle ANSI colors correctly (namely the dark grey typically shows up as pure black).
13 Oct, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 7th comment:
telnet
13 Oct, 2010, Quarlash wrote in the 8th comment:
I grew up on GMud and I used it for a reason that I doubt many other people used it for (Aside from the free aspect of course).. It was actually faster than the alternatives that I found (Alternatives having equal or better functionality). I know how silly that sounds, and trust me, I'm with you on laughing at that statement, but our local group here used it religiously for that reason (All 6 of us… oh the days wasted…).
13 Oct, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 9th comment:
That was the reason I went to tinyfugue, actually. I originally started on zMud but as soon as you got into complicated scripting it got really slow really fast, whereas TF was pretty quick. I also got a much better handle on TF's scripting than I did other MUD clients'

Maya/Rudha
14 Oct, 2010, Ludwig wrote in the 10th comment:
Does anyone know what percentage of mudders use GMud? I'm guessing like 20 or 30 percent…
14 Oct, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 11th comment:
Ludwig said:
Does anyone know what percentage of mudders use GMud? I'm guessing like 20 or 30 percent…

There's no way to know, as GMud is a black hole when it comes to telnet negotiation. I can tell you that the clients of 16.2% of my active players fail to identify themselves, and that I suspect the majority of them are GMud users, but that I know for a fact that not all of them are. There are at least a dozen clients that don't support TTYPE.

And that's just one mud - a mud which recommended GMud to its users for many years. When it comes to other muds, who knows? The popularity of each client varies from mud to mud, and seems to be strongly influenced by the recommendations of each mud.
14 Oct, 2010, Dean wrote in the 12th comment:
I used GMud for years and years, rather stubbornly resisting the urge to use more feature rich clients. It did everything I needed to do (aliases, never really used triggers except to keep my characters from idling out), though after trying Mushclient, I jumped ship and never looked back. :biggrin:
0.0/12