08 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Hades, if you choose to do that, be careful about the whole COPPA type stuff.
09 Jul, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 22nd comment:
Conner said:
Hades, if you choose to do that, be careful about the whole COPPA type stuff.

I appreciate it… but after looking into it, I found this:

"The Act applies to websites and online services operated for commercial purposes that are either directed to children under 13 or have actual knowledge that children under 13 are providing information online. Most recognized non-profit organizations, are exempt from most of the requirements of COPPA. However, the Supreme Court ruled that non-profits operated for the benefit of their members' commercial activities are subject to FTC regulation and consequently also COPPA."

Since we aren't in anyway attempting to benefit commercially, I would think it wouldn't be an issue. But still something that I will investigate further.
09 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 23rd comment:
While I very sincerely hope that yuo're entirely correct, I'd still advise caution and maybe some sort of disclaimer to CYA..
13 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 24th comment:
I've always thought that the whole COPPA thing just smacks of government interference in our lives. If parents aren't responsible enough to monitor what their kids do on the net, they have only themselves to blame. They should stop running to the government every time junior puts his email address into a contact form or on to a web forum for all to see.
13 Jul, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 25th comment:
TBH, i always just clicked yes, i am 13 or over.. =P. of course now i am 13 or over so thats irrelevant, but its not actually going to stop anything. :TBH, i always just clicked yes, i am 13 or over.. =P. of course now i am 13 or over so thats irrelevant, but its not actually going to stop anything. :[
13 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 26th comment:
Samson said:
I've always thought that the whole COPPA thing just smacks of government interference in our lives. If parents aren't responsible enough to monitor what their kids do on the net, they have only themselves to blame. They should stop running to the government every time junior puts his email address into a contact form or on to a web forum for all to see.

But Big Brother has to protect you from everything… :rolleyes:

kiasyn said:
TBH, i always just clicked yes, i am 13 or over.. =P. of course now i am 13 or over so thats irrelevant, but its not actually going to stop anything. :TBH, i always just clicked yes, i am 13 or over.. =P. of course now i am 13 or over so thats irrelevant, but its not actually going to stop anything. :[[/quote]

Just the liability of the site. :tongue:
13 Jul, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 27th comment:
i was talking more about coppa being useless :i was talking more about coppa being useless :[
13 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 28th comment:
kiasyn said:
i was talking more about coppa being useless :i was talking more about coppa being useless :[[/quote]

Arn't most government measures of this sort?
15 Jul, 2007, Kelvin wrote in the 29th comment:
Getting back on topic, the Frontier has utilized a lot of paid advertising in spurts over its four years in existence. As pointed out by others, the trick is where you advertise. We ran ads on TMS, Mudmagic, Mudconnector, MPOGD, SomethingAwful, and a few other gaming sites with great results. Particularly cost-effective was SomethingAwful's forum ads ($15 for linking to a topic), it drove in all kinds of traffic. If you run ads at the same time you post to sites that are in the same theme/genre as yours, you can really see a huge blast of traffic.

It just takes some tinkering to find a combination that works well for your game. I'd advise trying to pace yourself and keep a lower number of ads up and running every month rather than blow a huge chunk of money on a bunch of different sites for one month.
18 Jul, 2007, Zenn wrote in the 30th comment:
Sometimes I glance at the Iron Realms banner and say, "Wish I had a banner like that…. or a banner at all…."

Zenn the Admin is losing his mind.
18 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 31st comment:
Zenn said:
Sometimes I glance at the Iron Realms banner and say, "Wish I had a banner like that…. or a banner at all…."

That's why we have free banners with the mud listings. All you need to do is create one and submit a listing for your mud :)
18 Jul, 2007, Omega wrote in the 32nd comment:
I suck at artwork, even in the slightest, I'd enjoy taking advantage of the free banner posts, but that would require me to make a banner, and it would be really lame. and anyone who saw it would be like 'OMFG, that is SOOO LAME, the mud must be just as bad'

so i'd rather not have a banner and leave it a mystery till they log in, then they can find out that its lame…. :P
18 Jul, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 33rd comment:
Lol, that's pretty amusing :p

Why don't you try to get someone to make one for you?

I just happened to have had a neat idea for mine and ran with it… I'm sure if you had some ideas, someone would be willing to help you out.
19 Jul, 2007, Zenn wrote in the 34th comment:
Oh, I already have a banner. Just not posted anywhere. And I have more pressing matters at the moment. Like buggy code :cry:
19 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 35th comment:
Well I can't do graphics for squat, so my banner looks like ass too. People have told me the mud is ass, so I guess it fits…. :)

All I did was copy chunks of another logo we already had and ran with it. It doesn't quite conform to the image specs though.
20 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 36th comment:
Neither Dragona nor I is a graphics person so we just went with what we could produce at www.cooltext.com. :shrug:
23 Aug, 2007, Orignaux wrote in the 37th comment:
Cooltext.com…. lol For the Graphically Challenged. I've used the site a few thousand times myself so can't really say much ;)
23 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 38th comment:
Then, what are you saying?
24 Aug, 2007, Darwin wrote in the 39th comment:
I used Xara Webstyles to make most, if not all, of my banners. It's a nice program, but it's not free. You might be able to use a demo version of it long enough to create the banners you need/want.
20.0/39