18 May, 2012, Lancsta wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I am looking for a coder for a specific project. It's fairly small and simple for anyone that knows how to do it.
Basically I need two things accomplished. First thing, would be to get the memory usage under control. I have
two versions of the mud, each 3 years a part. The earlier version, is before we needed to boost memory a little,
the later version, is after we gave it a little kick, and I believe kicked it a little too hard and over did the values.
Secondly, there is this huge memory leak (assuming) somewhere. Randomly you will either jarbled random data,
splattered into places, such as a weather tick, or save files, or the accounts data file. I believe it has something
to do with the account system that is in place. If it is not the account system, then maybe I have 3 tasks.

Either way, if this sounds like something that you can easily take care of, please message or email me. I am
running the Sunder codebase, which derives from ROM/ROT. It has been heavily modified, being as how we have
been running it for the past 13 years.

Thank you,
Lance
18 May, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 2nd comment:
Either way, if this sounds like something that you can easily take care of, please message or email me. I am
running the Sunder codebase, which derives from ROM/ROT.

Good luck, fixing memory leaks in ROM/ROT is not an easy task. Even with Valgrind help.
18 May, 2012, Lancsta wrote in the 3rd comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
Good luck, fixing memory leaks in ROM/ROT is not an easy task. Even with Valgrind help.

Thanks :p I honestly don't think it will be too nasty. I've been in bed with this source for some time now, I believe I've narrowed it down. But there is something I'm overlooking. But the buffer and memory need to be balanced, and I'm not that coordinated at the moment to accomplish this. And there is just too much code to reference to start a topic on the matter.
19 May, 2012, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
doubt it's a memory leak based on what you said. The symptom of a memory leak is that the memory usage keeps going up and up beause they're not recycling old unused memory that you allocated before. It wouldn't produce garbage strings randomly.
19 May, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 5th comment:
It is probably buffer overflow, indeed, if you launch Valgrind and examine every read or write that are not in allocated memory you should find the problem. And as a hint, only examine the first errors, most of the following one are usually only consequences of the first one.
0.0/5