28 Feb, 2013, Oni wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So I have a scratch-coded 'playground' MUD that I've been developing for years now. Figured its nice and robust to put it online and get some friends to come in and break it.

I run it right from Windows XP using Cygwin, since its easier on my hdd than dualbooting. I dont have problems when I log in, but that's because I'm local.

So I tried messing with port forwarding on my router settings, and I just couldnt get any of my friends to log in. Anyone care to help? Sorry if there's not much detail, but this has been wrestling with me since 10am :(.
28 Feb, 2013, Oni wrote in the 2nd comment:
Oh, and I've been up and down this site since 10. I know there's another thread on this, but I figured since I'm complete newbie at this I'd just make a thread and hopefully someone can step-by-step me. Would be good reference for future use.
28 Feb, 2013, Nathan wrote in the 3rd comment:
I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that your friends don't live at your house? If they don't, they need the external IP address. You might look into a free dynamic dns – so they can use a name instead of the current IP address, since most people (maybe you, too?) have dynamic IP addresses.

I also take it that you can connect to your server. Are you using "localhost" as the address or your computer's local ip address? Is your router blocking incoming connections from outside? Maybe you need to check your computer's firewall?
28 Feb, 2013, Oni wrote in the 4th comment:
Ok, so with 15 minutes more research I was able to solve this problem. Anyone who is having trouble with PF on Windows:

1) Go to www.portforwarding.com
2) Download there FREE Static IP Changer (if you're on Dynamic like I was) and FREE Port Checker.
3) Run the Static IP Program and change your IP to Static. It worked on go for me, if it doesn't work for you get tech help.
4) Make sure your still online ;)
5) Write down the working static IP address and log into your router (usually x.x.x.1 on your browser)
6) Look for port forwarding section, usually under Advanced.
7) Set Open Port parameters (3000, 3000 worked for me) and in IP address input current Static IP
8) Run Port Checker and make sure its open, and enjoy the connections!
28 Feb, 2013, Oni wrote in the 5th comment:
I was trying no-ip.com, but apparently couldn't open ports without first going static ip. So far so good here.

I will eventually DNS, but my friends are trusted so for now IP works.
28 Feb, 2013, Nathan wrote in the 6th comment:
Not sure what it is you're describing. I use dyndns.org for my home web server, which runs on 8080 because my ISP doesn't allow incoming connections on port 80… DynDns' free service is okay. You can't get a static IP without paying extra to an ISP, as far as I know. All I have going is a site name, and the port forwarding on the router. Don't know what your setup is like. Glad to hear you got it working. :)
0.0/6