06 Jun, 2013, Camus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I am having trouble starting this low4 mud I found. I have been trying to learn the code, but I am having some trouble due to me being blind. So it is takeing me an extremely long time. I was just wondering if anyone could help me. Because when I make it compiles but when I type ./startup &(port) it gives me this

;~/Low4/src$ ./startup &(port)
{5} 25419
:~/Low4/src$

When I try toe start it up though the numbers constantly change they are never the same. If anyone could please help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
06 Jun, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 2nd comment:
The numbers are the id's of the startup processes you spawned, but they won't be running on the port you specified because it's not in the right place. It needs to be before the &. An ampersand means that everything before it will be run and kept running in the background. Anything that comes after it is most likely interpreted as a new command.

So, the correct syntax would be './startup port &'

My guess is you have a bunch of startup scripts running in the memory now. One of them has kicked off the server on its default port, and the rest of them are just continuously failing to do that. You can kill them by typing 'killall startup'.
06 Jun, 2013, Camus wrote in the 3rd comment:
I tried your idead but still no go. It wierd though because when i load another codebase up and run it with ./startup & it starts up fine and the mud run with out problems with the same exact things i posed before. WHen i load up the LoW4 code and compile then go to start it up the same way as the before i.e. ./startup & show the same mesage but the mud won't start. So the method works one way but not the other it is confusing. Any other help you can offer would be awesome, and Thanks for all the help you have already provided.
06 Jun, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 4th comment:
Read what is inside the startup script ?
One common mistake is also to miss the nohup command that makes everything stop the very second you disconnect from the server if it is not there.
06 Jun, 2013, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
Can you boot it up without the startup script? Do that to make sure it actually runs outside the script.
07 Jun, 2013, Lograk wrote in the 6th comment:
Also, not trying to offend anyone, but are you using './startup port &' or using './startup 1234 &'? Where 1234 would be the port number your wanting to boot up on.
07 Jun, 2013, Tijer wrote in the 7th comment:
port is specified in the start up script.. as long as you have compiled the code.. all you need to do is do ./startup& from the src directory, and it will boot on the port specified in startup…
07 Jun, 2013, Lograk wrote in the 8th comment:
Tijer said:
port is specified in the start up script.. as long as you have compiled the code.. all you need to do is do ./startup& from the src directory, and it will boot on the port specified in startup…

Or that. Also not a bad idea to do a grep for port and PORT inside the src directory and area directory just to be sure everything matches.
0.0/8