15 Nov, 2012, arendjr wrote in the 181st comment:
Votes: 0
Yamamushi here, C/C++ Programmer, Senior Systems Engineer, Scotch Drinker, Smoker. :-)

Sounds like a great combo! ;)

I would like to contribute to other projects as well, if anyone needs a C/C++ programmer, or just a fresh set of eyes on their code, I'm more than happy to help where I can :-)

I would surely like a pair of fresh eyes on my code! You can find all about it here: https://github.com/arendjr/PlainText

As of this week we got a few forums as well… you may want to read the few messages here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro... and here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro...

Heck, if you like what you see, you may even want to become a contributor. You sure would be welcome!

Cheers!
Arend jr.

Oops, correction* www.navidsonsrecord.com

PS.: Why does this link tell me it's not for me? :)
10 Jan, 2013, yue wrote in the 182nd comment:
Hello! I'm Jo', though online I go by Yue. I'm a game designer/writer hoping to learn how to program and make a really cool MUD! A lot of you have given me inspiration with your various projects, articles, or discussions on topics of interest. I look forward to learning more from you and maybe contributing something back. Also, I'm good at getting into pissing contests and managed to get snubbed by another member within three posts. Just a heads up, though I'll try my best to keep future posts strictly constructive. :biggrin:

Edit: +1 for scotch drinking smokers
11 Jan, 2013, Runter wrote in the 183rd comment:
Welcome to mudbytes.

20 Jan, 2013, salindor wrote in the 184th comment:
Hello I am Tim but I try and go by Salindor in just about every game I have ever played.

Professionally I am an embedded C++ programmer. A roommate of mine got my playing a mud back in college. Eventually I ended up working on developing one, but I bit off more than I could chew and eventually gave up on the development.

Fast forward 10 years, and I have been asked to ressurect my old project. Kind of both fun and scarry at the same time. I look back at some of my old code and groan… what was I thinking!

Anyways a copatrait pointed me to your forums so I thought I would create an account and say hello.
20 Jan, 2013, Davion wrote in the 185th comment:
…A Real EC++ Programmer?! I though all of you died off in the last decade!!! Welcome to MudBytes!!
20 Jan, 2013, salindor wrote in the 186th comment:
Yup, not very common these days. Thank you for the welcome
23 Jan, 2013, Zusuk wrote in the 187th comment:
Hey all:

I actually did introduce myself in the Circle section already, but I thought I would post again here to let people know what I'm working on.

I am the lead developer/coder for Luminari MUD. Way back (I think shortly after Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 came out), a friend of mine and I started Luminari MUD in hopes of creating a MUD based on DnD3.5 rules. Due to a combination of military/family/school committments, the project kind of fell apart. So a few months back I got permission from my wife to finish what we had started. I graduated many years ago with a degree in CS from San Diego State University, but until I got back into this project, have not been working with programming since college.

We had originally started the project on the CircleMUD codebase. So I started research there and found tbaMUD/CWG and also ran into Gicker's d20MUD. I saw they were all great, but noticed that tbaMUD was a very basic game system, CWG was incomplete and seemed untouched for 2-3 years+, and Gicker's codebase had some bug/memory issues. The closest MUD I could find that was similar to what I wanted was Forgotten Kingdoms. (Let me know if I missed anything else) I liked Forgotten Kingdoms, but it was not available for the community as a codebase and it still did not have the feel I was looking for in a MUD.

Thus started Luminari MUD. It is basically a merging project. I've started with the latest revision of tbaMud, updated the protocol to Kavir's most recent release. I also ported all the old Luminari MUD changes over. I have ported over a few things from CWG, but most of the mechanics we already had made on the old Luminari, so I haven't needed to go to CWG for much.

By March is my goal for Luminari MUD 1.0 for public usage if anyone wants a DnD type codebase, with the goal of being a legitimate replacement for CWG/DOOM. Not too much later my goal is to also port select features from d20MUD as well, that would finally encapsulate the d20/DnD3.5 attempts for Circle-derivitives. I'm working very hard to make the MUD very stable and try to keep the code readable and easy to modify. I'm also working hard to make sure there are helpfiles for anything I can think of. I try to keep thorough records of all changes and to give credit to anyone involved in the process. In a short time we are already on our 250+ revision from a stock TBA codebase.

I have been blessed to be joined by a staff of some builders who are very talented who are working on also developing a world for the MUD. If anyone is interested in joining the staff, play testing or just checking us out, please come by and say hi!
29 Apr, 2013, Voridiani wrote in the 188th comment:
Hey im V,
Im big into the ackmuds and I ran one for a few years. Never did any of the coding but im wanting to learn.
23 Jun, 2013, Dovkan wrote in the 189th comment:
Well, I really don't know why I enjoy muds, I never grew up with them, and I have been playing mmo's such as Guild wars and Runescape for quite some time. I accidentally stumbled upon one while browsing a mmo community, which I cannot recall. I found Aardwolf, which I found very intriguing. I honestly cannot explain why Muds are fun, maybe its the customization, or the sense of imagination which i use, alot. I have been messing around with Muds for awhile on and off, and am ready to take my first steps into Mud development. I have some experience in Java and python, but I adapt easily. Im hoping to create a Sci fi mud based off some stories I have been writing, and I stumbled upon MUDBYTES. I guess i should put forward a proper introduction now. My online Alias is Dovkan, a deviant of my first Alias, Dokan, which I somehow came up with. I was born in 1998, and grew up with Age of empires 1 on a very bad windows 98. I then proceeded to move on to consoles and handhelds, until 3 years ago when I got into online and pc gaming. I started heavy, with black ops, and generic games. I found them unamusing, which is when I switched over to MMO'S, only to find MUDS 1 year ago. I frequently play Mount & blade, and am hoping to mess around with a MUD codebase at some point. :robot:
23 Jun, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 190th comment:
Welcome Dovkan, it'd be cool to see more sci-fi muds out there, so good luck.
08 Aug, 2013, Ateraan wrote in the 191st comment:
Hey there. Never heard about MudBytes until I saw something on TMS about it and thought I'd make an account and log in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears this forum is mostly for Developers/Admin/etc of MUDs centered around coding and administration and the functionality of MUDs. Am I wrong with that assumption?

I ask because I'm more interested in the interaction with players and topics brought up by players.

Another question. How do you reverse the order of posts in a thread. For me it lists oldest to newest. Is there a way to preference newest to oldest?

Thanks in advance!
08 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 192nd comment:
Hi, NewWorlds.

You're correct that this forum is mostly frequented by devs and people who aspire to become MUD admins. But the site admins are actively working on content to engage MUD players as well. As someone who has previewed some of those efforts, I can say that things look promising. So keep checking back.

If there is a way to reverse-sort posts, I don't know it.
08 Aug, 2013, Aelius wrote in the 193rd comment:
Hey, why don't I introduce myself? I'm mostly a lurker. The last mud I was really involved in was Legends of Karinth (now offline, sadly), where I started as a fresh newbie and worked my way up to the highest staff position as the head coder and an implementor alongside Fern. I did a lot of things that I was proud of on that mud, but I eventually burned out and left. I'm tinkering around with a new project on my own now in the sci-fi realm.
08 Aug, 2013, Hades_Kane wrote in the 194th comment:
I hate to hear Legends of Karinth folded. I never played it, but an Admin or two from the games had been fairly active on the one of the forums. You get used to hearing/seeing stuff about certain games, I guess.
08 Aug, 2013, Dean wrote in the 195th comment:
Ateraan said:
Hey there. Never heard about MudBytes until I saw something on TMS about it and thought I'd make an account and log in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears this forum is mostly for Developers/Admin/etc of MUDs centered around coding and administration and the functionality of MUDs. Am I wrong with that assumption?

I ask because I'm more interested in the interaction with players and topics brought up by players.

Another question. How do you reverse the order of posts in a thread. For me it lists oldest to newest. Is there a way to preference newest to oldest?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Ateraan,

You aren't wrong in your assumption presently. As Plamzi said though, the admins are working on expanding the scope to include players as well. Regarding reversing the post order preference; that doesn't appear to be possible, but I could be missing an option somewhere for it.

Aelius said:
Hey, why don't I introduce myself? I'm mostly a lurker. The last mud I was really involved in was Legends of Karinth (now offline, sadly), where I started as a fresh newbie and worked my way up to the highest staff position as the head coder and an implementor alongside Fern. I did a lot of things that I was proud of on that mud, but I eventually burned out and left. I'm tinkering around with a new project on my own now in the sci-fi realm.

Welcome Aelius,

Tell us a bit about your sci-fi project. Is it an original idea or based off an existing IP (like Star Wars)?
08 Aug, 2013, Aelius wrote in the 196th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I hate to hear Legends of Karinth folded. I never played it, but an Admin or two from the games had been fairly active on the one of the forums. You get used to hearing/seeing stuff about certain games, I guess.

Yeah, it shut down 2 or 3 years after I left. I think it was just staff burnout all around, and people moving on to other interests. I still keep in contact with the owner, but she has no plans or desire to bring Karinth back.
08 Aug, 2013, Aelius wrote in the 197th comment:
Dean said:
Aelius said:

Welcome Aelius,

Tell us a bit about your sci-fi project. Is it an original idea or based off an existing IP (like Star Wars)?

OK, I'll tell you what: if it ever gets to the point that I think I'll put it out there for public (or semi-public) use, I'll let you know what the idea is. ;)
09 Aug, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 198th comment:
Welcome to MB Aelius, I had a lot of fun at LoK.
09 Aug, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 199th comment:
Aelius said:

Welcome Aelius.

I was banned from LoK before I ever logged in to the mud. ;-)
10 Aug, 2013, Aelius wrote in the 200th comment:
Tyche said:
Aelius said:

Welcome Aelius.

I was banned from LoK before I ever logged in to the mud. ;-)

Haha - if you say so! I can't say I've ever managed to get banned from a mud that I've never played, but that's a nice target to shoot for.
180.0/221