04 Oct, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Zugg admits that development on CMUD is "probably" dead. Blames open source clients, lack of free time, and too few paying customers. Denies that there are stability issues. Whines about not making enough money.

Discussion here: CMUD Development Dead

To be honest I doubt it'll vanish any time soon - there are plenty of other stagnant mud clients that are still in use.

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Bit of both, I suppose.
04 Oct, 2012, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
I use it and have never had any kind of stability issues, nor any of the data corruption that anyone in the thread mentioned.
04 Oct, 2012, Tijer wrote in the 3rd comment:
Switched to mushclient myself over a year ago.. appears to be a far superior client, just wish i had used this before shelling out for 2 cMUD licenses.. the original and the one that was forced upon us wit the cMud 3 update….

Mushclient is still being developed as far as i know… just recently dloaded version 4.82 which had some minor fixes in it…..

From the look of that site it looks like Zugg thought everyone would pay for cMUD, and looks like he thought wrongly… Zugg has always struck me as a money grabber, he shouldve gone the way of mushclient and gone opensource and free years ago
04 Oct, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 4th comment:
Tijer said:
Mushclient is still being developed as far as i know… just recently dloaded version 4.82 which had some minor fixes in it…..

4.82? That was released nearly two weeks ago, it's up to version 4.84 now :P
04 Oct, 2012, Tijer wrote in the 5th comment:
oh well im behind the times… as usual :)
04 Oct, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 6th comment:
Cmud sucked ass anyway, Zmuds with all its flaws was far more usable settings wise. You had global, inherited and local setting. I never managed to replicate what I was doing in ZMud in CMud, even though it was supposed to be more 'object oriented'
04 Oct, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 7th comment:
I strongly preferred and still do zMUD.

I'm using MUSH Client all around now, though.

Honestly, two issues with MUSH Client that if I could fix, I'd be completely happy. zMUD spoiled me with being able to hit the up or down arrow to clear the input box, but then be able to scroll back to it and pick back up where I left off. In MUSH Client, you have to hit 'esc' in order to have that same affect, and I constantly lose several lines of text daily based on the habit zMUD got me in. The other is the scroll back/split screen functionality of zMUD. I have something kinda similar in MUSH Client, but it pauses the main thing and has a clunk "current output" window type of thing that pops up. I don't really like it, but it's really the best solution I've found yet. If I could make MUSH Client mirror just those two things in zMUD, I'd be perfectly happy with it.
04 Oct, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
The other is the scroll back/split screen functionality of zMUD.

Mudlet offers that feature (although personally I can't stand it!), and is another excellent free client with a decent feature set, including customisable GUI, sound, etc.
04 Oct, 2012, Lyanic wrote in the 9th comment:
KaVir said:
Hades_Kane said:
The other is the scroll back/split screen functionality of zMUD.

Mudlet offers that feature (although personally I can't stand it!), and is another excellent free client with a decent feature set, including customisable GUI, sound, etc.

There's also a plugin you can download for MUSHClient that does essentially that. I have it installed on mine, but I keep it disabled the majority of the time.
05 Oct, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 10th comment:
HK, you might want to look at just spawning another window for the same session (tiling it with your main window). Then you can scroll back in that one (keep it as a scroll back window) while playing in the other.
05 Oct, 2012, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
I seriously lol'd at him groaning about open source software. I personally think the reason cmud doesn't make the money it used to, is it hasn't gotten any better than zmud was all those years ago. There's way more lucrative markets to get involved in than mud clients. And those customers would rightfully demand a lot more than what he's providing in cmud. He wouldn't make much money there either.

Also, there's some real zombies in that thread.
10 Oct, 2012, Kelvin wrote in the 12th comment:
Glad to see MUSHClient continue to chug along all of these years. Nick knew he was probably at the end of the road for profitability and motivation, and did a good thing.

Hopefully that'll happen to CMUD eventually…
10 Oct, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 13th comment:
Kelvin said:
Glad to see MUSHClient continue to chug along all of these years. Nick knew he was probably at the end of the road for profitability and motivation, and did a good thing.

Hopefully that'll happen to CMUD eventually…

I find that very unlikely, considering Zugg's view towards open source.
10 Oct, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 14th comment:
Yeah, I stopped checking out any of Zugg soft probably almost 10 years ago. MUSHclient has been my baby until very recently. Now I'm split between it and Mudlet. I like each for different things.
01 Dec, 2012, triskaledia wrote in the 15th comment:
I've been using Portal for several years. Portal MUD Client
It offers all the basic features that I enjoyed from zMUD while offering me to create my own
alias', macro's, events(triggers), and other various things. Only downside of Portal that I've
found so far is that it is fairly difficult to figure out how to properly install it on Windows 7+
if you have no idea how your security/computer settings/file operators work. zMUD 7.21 is
my favorite zMUD client. Recently found ggMUD. Very simliar to gMUD but allows basic
movement on the numeric keypad.
01 Dec, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 16th comment:
I was always partial to zmud 4.62 which was the only free one for years. But once I started doing advanced triggers with variables and the like I switched to zmud 7.something. I am in the process of learning my way around mushclient now but it's a slow process considering I don't really mud anymore. I haven't tried cMud but that's just cause I refuse to pay for it considering all the reviews said its not any better than zmud.
24 Apr, 2013, Markov_AU wrote in the 17th comment:
I used the old 16-bit free version of zmud for a few years, then RoA Client (also dead) and have decided portability wise to just install tt++ on my linux box, and ssh home to MUD
06 Sep, 2013, Nathan wrote in the 18th comment:
Honestly, any one can "steal" your features and open source is far less to blame than the fact that demand and interest has always been targeted at a better/prettier/more fun game and most people moved on to graphical games when they came into being. The reality is that most people don't play muds (or text games in general) and the few that do have little interesting in paying for a mud client or any need to.

Further there is the issue that you must innovate to sell software and there isn't any benefit to client innovation if there is no server innovation that requires it.

I don't understand the opposition to open source really. Although I personally take some issue with whole 'free software' thing. It's hard for open source software to compete with good commercial software. It can however, motivate people to move away from acceptable, but buggy commercial software or companies that don't care about the customer. Sometimes it becomes better software and at that point, it doesn't matter that it's open source really even if it does help the latter that it is frequently free. At that point, better software wins. Never mind that software has to be priced where people will pay for it, and not just be a money grab.
06 Sep, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 19th comment:
CMUD/ZMud advertising pretty much killed TMC's advertising scheme, because a $1000 advertisement with Zugg would get you the equivalent of spending $10000 at TMC.

So the business model would be to give away the software for free and make a couple of bucks with advertising or sponsorships.
07 Sep, 2013, Famine wrote in the 20th comment:
That's a shame. I really enjoyed zMUD and CMUD. So much so, I've purchased both clients over the years.

I really enjoyed the mapping and scripting components myself. I use to script my PvP stuff to the MAP so when I typed "WHERE", it would display not only myself, but my opponent on the map as well. I would hate to see that disappear along with the other good features.

I know I have tried MUDLET awhile back, but couldn't bring myself to convert all that I had with Zugg to a new client.
0.0/46