27 Jul, 2014, Impacatus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was talking to some people at virtualpetlist.com, and it seems like players trying to steal other players' accounts are a major headache for the people who run those games. I don't see people talking about it as often here.

I suppose a large part of it is the difference in age of the target demographic.
27 Jul, 2014, quixadhal wrote in the 2nd comment:
Never seen such a thing in MUD's, but I guess it makes sense.

Most MUD's are not commericial, so there's no direct gain from stealing someone's account… however, most people use the same password for half the places they visit. If you get somebody's MUD account, you might also get their email, and then who knows how many other places?
27 Jul, 2014, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yeah but why losing time attacking such a low user base ?
27 Jul, 2014, Impacatus wrote in the 4th comment:
Most pet sites aren't commercial either. People do it just to steal in-game money and items.

Like I said, the reason you don't see it as much with MUDs probably has to do with the demographics. I would imagine that both attackers and victims tend to be young and immature, so MUDs have fewer of both.

I guess another factor is that the major time investment in MUDs usually goes to levelling rather than money and items. You wouldn't get away with playing someone else's character for very long, and you can't transfer any of it to another account.

Yeah but why losing time attacking such a low user base ?
That's another factor too, although the audience for indie pet sites probably isn't that much bigger.
28 Jul, 2014, Dean wrote in the 5th comment:
I cannot recall a single instance of it happening in my years of MUDding.
28 Jul, 2014, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
I vaguely recall some controversy on a MUD 10+ years back where one person got a hold of the password of another person and robbed their characters. But that's a single instance over a decade ago.
0.0/6