04 Sep, 2015, donky wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
quixadhal said:
The main thing for customization is to be consistent.

My suggestion is to make everything a CSS class based on the use of the thing, rather than where it lives. For example, the default theme (which I like) uses white text on a medium-grey background, but the editor text area defaults to black on white.

Those should both use the same CSS classes so they both inherit the same colors, fonts, etc, based on user preferences or defaults.

This editor I an writing this in defaults to a faint grey text on a white background. But I agree on what you are suggesting.
09 Sep, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 62nd comment:
Looks like the time stamps arent updating correctly… says the last post on the "Looking for a ROM base" was at 2:34pm today… whereas it was a couple of days ago that Jindrak posted his reply to the message….
09 Sep, 2015, SlySven wrote in the 63rd comment:
Ummm, isn't there supposed to be some way to search the forums for postings on a particular key word? I may be a bit old school but "tags" only work if they include the subject you want - and if it is something that obscure then a tag size based location system is not going to be much help. I guess I could try and construct a site specific search query and throw that at a search engine of my choice - but is that the most user friendly/welcoming way of doing things? confuse
10 Sep, 2015, Skol wrote in the 64th comment:
What I'm seeing that's hard for me, the body text everywhere is bold. Makes reading/scanning really difficult.
Did we have any idea on a user style? (I saw it mentioned above).

Thanks for the work Davion!
10 Sep, 2015, Skol wrote in the 65th comment:
Ok found it heh.
Working on time-zone now. With the pref's showing 'default' info, it's hard to see what you've picked.
11 Sep, 2015, donky wrote in the 66th comment:
New comments still get a black background, so if you've set your text to black, they're unreadable.
11 Sep, 2015, Pymeus wrote in the 67th comment:
For anyone into this kind of thing, we can (currently) do minor CSS injections where we want further customization (for example, my "Comment Size" is "10px;line-height:1.1")

Davion, any chance we could be allowed to store more text than just 20 characters in those fields? Or, given that many of us are programmers, what about a larger textarea where we can write our own CSS?
12 Sep, 2015, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 68th comment:
Well, I hope the design can be tweaked to somehow help me read thing here, I find it awful on the eyes.
Everything is so 'vertical' it looks like it has been designed to only be read on a vertical smartphone.
Really painful (imho)
Where is the possibility to see new messages on the left ? (disregard this found it…)
Can the awfully large banner for the 'post info' (poster date yadada' be put on the left of the message, so you can gain vertical size AND do not feel like your screen has been reduced to a tiny vertical smartphone ?
I guess a simple css should be able to do that in some options maybe, maybe someone even already asked but really I find it really painful to read anything here right now.
12 Sep, 2015, quixadhal wrote in the 69th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
it looks like it has been designed to only be read on a vertical smartphone.

You mean, a normal form factor for a web browser, as they have been used since 1991? :)

I realize some people like to make the browser fill the entire screen (mandatory on most phones or tablets), and that screens are now even more wide than tall, but I suspect the layout is the way it is because the author is old like I am, and still treats web pages like they were actually sheets of paper, IE: taller than they are wide.

I personally can't stand using a web browser in "landscape" mode, as it reduces the average paragraph to a single line, or perhaps two lines on the screen, utterly destroying the sense of flow for the page.
13 Sep, 2015, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 70th comment:
It is not the width of the message the problem, the width of the text area is enough I would not expand it either.

It si the awful waste of vertical space for very little useful info the problem.

It is 5 lines of text area written by the author….the equivalent of at least 15 lines of text I dont really care nor even read as they are meaningless info (avatar picture, date, when you joined etc…why is not this on the left of the message…

Oh and all the button that Are not even usable (like if I could edit YOUR text) they are only meant for admins…hy show them…
15 Sep, 2015, dentin wrote in the 71st comment:
Is there any possibility of condensing the thread updates on the main page, so we only see the most recent addition to each thread instead of an entry for every single comment? Having every comment on there makes it hard to find low-priority threads which would otherwise be visible.
15 Sep, 2015, Davion wrote in the 72nd comment:
The activity feed in www.mudbytes.net/forum only shows updated topics, and all of them for that matter.
15 Sep, 2015, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 73rd comment:
Votes: 1
Here is a perfect example of what I am saying:

http://www.img42.com/OvEij

So many relevant text from poster, so many waste…
25 Sep, 2015, khyldes wrote in the 74th comment:
So is this ever going to get fixed or is it just going to remain in this unusable state forever because you don't know what you're doing? From the forums, to the files, to the homepage, this is insane. Tag based searches? Seriously? On what planet is that efficient, or even good UX? fml
26 Sep, 2015, Davion wrote in the 75th comment:
khyldes said:
So is this ever going to get fixed or is it just going to remain in this unusable state forever because you don't know what you're doing? From the forums, to the files, to the homepage, this is insane. Tag based searches? Seriously? On what planet is that efficient, or even good UX? fml

The tags were never intended to be the sole search mechanism, but again site was released waaay earlier than anticipated. Search bars are coming, they just need some testing and tweaking right now. I understand the lacking in certain aspects of the UX, but what about the site is unstable? As far as I know, the only errors I'm seeing are ones from some non-utf8 file archives. And as for server stability, MudBytes is no longer effecting the other sites on the server, so I consider that a win ;).
26 Sep, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 76th comment:
the problems the old version of mudbytes experience mustve been something the mudbytes admin/coders did.. because when i ran QSF we had hardly any issues.. apart from random crashes when looking at OLD converted posts! :)

This version of MB while needs work… is coming along nicely… looking forward to seeing the completed product :)
29 Sep, 2015, Davion wrote in the 77th comment:
I'm not sure what the problem was with the old site. I'm just happy that particular one is gone.

I've updated some of the javascript in preparation for some stuff, so hopefully that bug with the posts not colouring right, is fixed for you Donky.

Side note, if you lost your avatar, I apologize. I updated backups for the database on the new site but not the files themselves. They should now be done nightly again.
03 Oct, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 78th comment:
Davion said:
I'm not sure what the problem was with the old site. I'm just happy that particular one is gone.

I don't mean to sound dour, but it seems to me that if you're not sure, then it can happen again with this site. Just today, for example, there was a period where attempting to post resulted in a 500 error.
04 Oct, 2015, Ssolvarain wrote in the 79th comment:
I LIVE! D:
04 Oct, 2015, Davion wrote in the 80th comment:
plamzi said:
Davion said:

I don't mean to sound dour, but it seems to me that if you're not sure, then it can happen again with this site. Just today, for example, there was a period where attempting to post resulted in a 500 error.

The problem was with a php library, so I doubt the issue can happen again.

There was an extensive update to the core done a day or two ago, there were some bumps.
60.0/102