29 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi everyone. I'm new to programming and administrating as a whole. I've actually been a builder for about 10 years or so now on the Rom code bases. Well, I decided to dive into trying to make my own mud, so, I started one up with a friend of mine, but…now I'm stuck. We've got the codebase, and we've got everything up and running, but…where are some good tut's to check out on basic shell commands and what they do, some "what if" scenarios like "what if the mud crashes, how do I bring it back up?" etc, etc…If anyone knows, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
29 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
First thing to read is this: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpos...

Some shell commands: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

How to make changes/compiling etc: http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocomp...

If it crashes, debug it with gdb: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpos...
29 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hi and welcome to Mudbytes darkestjustice.
30 Nov, 2008, Midboss wrote in the 4th comment:
What you should do is run and never look back. GOGOGO, before Kayle makes fun of your spelling!!!
30 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 5th comment:
Midboss said:
What you should do is run and never look back. GOGOGO, before Kayle makes fun of your spelling!!!

lol
30 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 6th comment:
Zeno said:
First thing to read is this: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpos...

Some shell commands: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

How to make changes/compiling etc: http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocomp...

If it crashes, debug it with gdb: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpos...

Zeno, thank you very much. I took the time to read all of the pages that you offered to me. And they were very helpful. I understand that owning and operating a mud takes a lot of time, and I'm willing to give that time, so I have no worries there. The project I'm working on now is a project that'll take a good 2 or 3 years before it's fully operational, and I don't mind. But, anyway, I thank you so much for sharing those links with me. Now, all I need to do is find a good Dawn of Time OLC Building guide and I should be ok. I found one from Nick G.'s website, and it does well. Unfortunately though, it's missing the one command that I really want, and the one I really want is the command to dump all of the area files but 1 (maybe 2 so new immortals can log in and go somewhere [the newbie school] when they first log on), and I can't figure it out.

I wonder if I could go into the shell and just remove the area files that way. But, when I removed just 1 area file, I couldn't get the code to recompile and startup, but…maybe I was thinking something and it just didn't want to do it. I'm still working with it though. Anyway, any more suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. But, please, make sure it's constructive, thanks again everyone!
30 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 7th comment:
Midboss said:

I'm pretty sure he spelled things correctly. That or I'm too tired to care. ;)

[Edit:] And I forgot the whole point of posting after reading MidBoss's post. Welcome to MudBytes darkestjustice.
30 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 8th comment:
Ok. I'm having a bit of trouble and I've been working on it for hours. I'm trying to remove .are files from the shell. Now, here's the situation.

(1) The mud is still running
(2) I'm logged into the shell
(3) I'm in my /dot/area file
(4) I type in 'rm <areafilename>.are' and hit enter, then confirm that the file is gone. File is gone.
(5) I go into my arealist.txt file, and then delete the area name from the arealist.txt file. I save the changes, go back into my arealist.txt file to ensure that the changes were saved (and they always are).
(6) I move from my /dot/area to my /dot/src file, do a regular make (not a clean make), then back up to my /dot directory.
….finally….
(7) I do a quick 'nohup ./dawn 2666 &' in the /dot directory. after that, this is the output….

[1] 4184
nohup: appending output to 'nohup.out'

…..well, here's the problem. That should start up my mud, but it doesn't. To get it started again, I have to reload the area files that I've dumped. Now…I'm at a complete loss for what to do…I'm connecting to the shell through puTTY, and everything else I do seems to be ok. Any suggestions?

[edit]….Also, I did find another 'area.txt' file in my /dot/help directories, but when I went through it (not changing anything), all it was was what appeared to be the area helpfile descriptions. Could I be missing something from that file?
30 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
the thing about area files is that sometimes theres some code linked to the areas. look through merc.h and find the parts that say ROOM_VNUM_SCHOOL and OBJ_VNUM_SWORD and other well known vnums you'll need to either remove these or change the vnum to a vnum in an area that you're not removing. i'm not sure if there are other places in the code that you'll have to look in but having this knowledge should help you out a little. just make sure you remove the area from area.lst as well or the mud will try to load an area that isn't there. oh and you don't need to do a make when you're messing with area files. just when you do anything in the src directory.

[edit to add] and always do a clean make (either type make clean, or if your makefile doesn't have that in it, just rm -rf *.o and make) when you change any of the header ( files that end in .h) files.
30 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 10th comment:
darkestjustice said:
Ok. I'm having a bit of trouble and I've been working on it for hours. I'm trying to remove .are files from the shell. Now, here's the situation.

(1) The mud is still running
(2) I'm logged into the shell
(3) I'm in my /dot/area file
(4) I type in 'rm <areafilename>.are' and hit enter, then confirm that the file is gone. File is gone.
(5) I go into my arealist.txt file, and then delete the area name from the arealist.txt file. I save the changes, go back into my arealist.txt file to ensure that the changes were saved (and they always are).
(6) I move from my /dot/area to my /dot/src file, do a regular make (not a clean make), then back up to my /dot directory.
….finally….
(7) I do a quick 'nohup ./dawn 2666 &' in the /dot directory. after that, this is the output….

[1] 4184
nohup: appending output to 'nohup.out'

…..well, here's the problem. That should start up my mud, but it doesn't. To get it started again, I have to reload the area files that I've dumped. Now…I'm at a complete loss for what to do…I'm connecting to the shell through puTTY, and everything else I do seems to be ok. Any suggestions?

[edit]….Also, I did find another 'area.txt' file in my /dot/help directories, but when I went through it (not changing anything), all it was was what appeared to be the area helpfile descriptions. Could I be missing something from that file?

Check the log files or start it up normally (run the exec) to see the problem.
30 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 11th comment:
Igabod said:
the thing about area files is that sometimes theres some code linked to the areas. look through merc.h and find the parts that say ROOM_VNUM_SCHOOL and OBJ_VNUM_SWORD and other well known vnums you'll need to either remove these or change the vnum to a vnum in an area that you're not removing. i'm not sure if there are other places in the code that you'll have to look in but having this knowledge should help you out a little. just make sure you remove the area from area.lst as well or the mud will try to load an area that isn't there. oh and you don't need to do a make when you're messing with area files. just when you do anything in the src directory.

[edit to add] and always do a clean make (either type make clean, or if your makefile doesn't have that in it, just rm -rf *.o and make) when you change any of the header ( files that end in .h) files.

Forgive me if I'm not understanding this correctly. Basically…what I'm understanding here is that I will have to go through each line of the code, and delete any line that may pertain to that specific area. Is that true? If that's true, surely there's a simpler way…? If I'm not understanding correctly, perhaps you could be a little more in depth with the steps please? Thank you though, for posting your idea. I hope to get another post from you soon.
30 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 12th comment:
Not really. You would need to go into the header files and find any definitions of OBJ_VNUM_SWORD and the like. If they represent a vnum you deleted, you need to change that definition.
30 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 13th comment:
easy way would be to go into the src directory, type grep VNUM_ *.* and then remove/edit the results there's really not that many of them if i remember correctly. unless whatever codebase you're using is REALLY modified.

[edit] oh yeah and you'll cut your work in half if you just leave in the limbo.are vnums cause most of the defined vnums are in that area.
30 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 14th comment:
I'm using the Dawn of Time codebase, and when I did the grep VNUM_ *.cpp, this was the result….

=============================
fight.cpp: vnum = OBJ_VNUM_BRAINS;
global.cpp: ch->in_room= get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
global.cpp: limbo_mob_index_data->area = get_vnum_area( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
handler.cpp: if((room = get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_OOC)) != NULL){
handler.cpp: if(obj_to->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_PIT)
handler.cpp: if( ( location = get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_OOC ) ) == NULL)
handler.cpp: "Please report this to an admin.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_OOC);
handler.cpp: "This room SHOULD be an OOC room - please report this bug to an admin.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_OOC);
handler.cpp: obj = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_SILVER_ONE ));
handler.cpp: obj = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_GOLD_ONE));
handler.cpp: obj = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_GOLD_SOME ));
handler.cpp: obj = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_SILVER_SOME ));
handler.cpp: obj = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_COINS ));
handler.cpp: if( obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_FIRE )
jail.cpp: ch->printlnf("The jail command transfers players to room %d.", ROOM_VNUM_JAIL);
jail.cpp: if(victim->in_room_vnum()==ROOM_VNUM_JAIL){
jail.cpp: if(!get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_JAIL )){
jail.cpp: char_to_room( victim, get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_JAIL ));
jail.cpp: ch->printlnf("The jail room is %d… the room should have the norecall and ooc flags set.", ROOM_VNUM_JAIL);
jail.cpp: if(victim->in_room_vnum()!=ROOM_VNUM_JAIL)
lockers.cpp: o=create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_DUMMY));
magic.cpp: light = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_LIGHT_BALL ));
magic.cpp: mushroom = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM ));
magic.cpp: foodvnum = OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM;
magic.cpp: foodvnum = OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM;
magic.cpp: if (get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_ROSE)) {
magic.cpp: rose = create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_ROSE));
magic.cpp: spring = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_SPRING ));
magic.cpp: disc = create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_DISC));
magic.cpp: portal = create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_PORTAL));
magic_ce.cpp: if (( scrap = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM )) == NULL )
magic_ja.cpp: if (get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_ROSE)){
magic_ja.cpp: rose = create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_ROSE));
magic_ke.cpp: if ( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_DIVINE_LIGHT ) == NULL )
magic_ke.cpp: bugf("Vnum %d not found for Divine Light!", OBJ_VNUM_DIVINE_LIGHT );
magic_ke.cpp: ch->printlnf( "Vnum %d not found for Divine Light, please report to the admin.", OBJ_VNUM_DIVINE_LIGHT );
magic_ke.cpp: dlight = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_DIVINE_LIGHT ));
magic_ke.cpp: if (( pObj = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_SPIRIT_HAMMER )) == NULL )
magic_ke.cpp: ch->printf( "Vnum %d not found for Spirit Hammer, please report to the admin.", OBJ_VNUM_SPIRIT_HAMMER );
magic_ke.cpp: if (( pObj = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_DRUIDSTAFF )) == NULL )
magic_ke.cpp: ch->printlnf( "Vnum %d not found for Druidstaff, please report to the admin.", OBJ_VNUM_DRUIDSTAFF );
magic_ke.cpp: if ( cObj->pIndexData->vnum != OBJ_VNUM_STAFF )
magic_ke.cpp: if (( pObj = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_TOTEMSTAFF )) == NULL )
magic_ke.cpp: ch->printlnf( "Vnum %d not found for Druidstaff, please report to the admin.", OBJ_VNUM_TOTEMSTAFF );
magic_ke.cpp: if ( cObj->pIndexData->vnum != OBJ_VNUM_DRUIDSTAFF )
magic_ob.cpp: mushroom = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM ));
magic_ra.cpp: if ((pMobIndex = get_mob_index(MOB_VNUM_SUMMON_GUARDIAN))) /* make sure mob exists */
magic_ra.cpp: sprintf(buf,"BUG: in spell_summon_guardian - missing mob vnum %d!\r\n", MOB_VNUM_SUMMON_GUARDIAN);
magic_ra.cpp: pMobIndex = get_mob_index(MOB_VNUM_VYR_GOOD);
magic_ra.cpp: MOB_VNUM_VYR_GOOD);
magic_ra.cpp: pMobIndex = get_mob_index(MOB_VNUM_VYR_BAD);
magic_ra.cpp: MOB_VNUM_VYR_BAD);
magic_ra.cpp: pObjIndex = get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_SUMMON_JUSTICE);
magic_ra.cpp: sprintf(buf,"BUG: in spell_summon_justice - missing object vnum %d!\r\n", OBJ_VNUM_SUMMON_JUSTICE);
magic_re.cpp: ouritem = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM ));
magic_re.cpp: ouritem = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_LIGHT_BALL ));
magic_re.cpp: if ( get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_FIRE) == NULL )
magic_re.cpp: bugf("Vnum %d not found for do_build!", OBJ_VNUM_FIRE);
magic_re.cpp: ch->printlnf( "Vnum %d not found for do_build!, please report to the admin.", OBJ_VNUM_FIRE );
magic_re.cpp: fire = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_FIRE ));
magic_re.cpp: if ( get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_RAFT) == NULL )
magic_re.cpp: bugf("Vnum %d not found for do_build!", OBJ_VNUM_RAFT);
magic_re.cpp: ch->printlnf( "Vnum %d not found for do_build!, please report to the admin.", OBJ_VNUM_RAFT );
magic_re.cpp: raft = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_RAFT ));
magic_re.cpp: if ( get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_STAFF) == NULL )
magic_re.cpp: bugf("Vnum %d not found for do_build!", OBJ_VNUM_STAFF);
magic_re.cpp: ch->printlnf( "Vnum %d not found for do_build!, please report to the admin.", OBJ_VNUM_STAFF );
magic_re.cpp: staff = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_STAFF ));
magic_sb.cpp: gatec = create_object( get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_PORTAL)); //Needs a new OBJ_VNUM_GATE
magic_sb.cpp: gatec = create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_PORTAL));
magic_sb.cpp: gatev = create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_PORTAL));
magic_sb.cpp: portal = create_object( get_obj_index ( OBJ_VNUM_PORTAL ));
magic_sb.cpp: portal = create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_PORTAL));
mixedit.cpp: if (( oid = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM )) == NULL )
mixedit.cpp: if (( oid = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_DUMMY )) == NULL )
mixedit.cpp: // OBJ_VNUM_DUMMY shouldn't be left anything other than VNUM_DUMMY
nanny.cpp: if(IS_IRC(ch) && get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_STARTIRC)){
nanny.cpp: return ROOM_VNUM_STARTIRC;
nanny.cpp: if(get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_STARTTELNET)){
nanny.cpp: return ROOM_VNUM_STARTTELNET;
nanny.cpp: return ROOM_VNUM_OOC;
nanny.cpp: if(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_WORLD_MAP)) // load world map if it exists
nanny.cpp: obj_to_char(create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_WORLD_MAP)),ch);
nanny.cpp: if(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_NEWBIE_GUIDE )) // load newbie guide if it exists
nanny.cpp: obj_to_char(create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_NEWBIE_GUIDE)),ch);
nanny.cpp: if(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_EVIL_CITY_MAP)){ // load main evil city map if it exists
nanny.cpp: obj_to_char(create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_EVIL_CITY_MAP)),ch);
nanny.cpp: if(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_GOOD_CITY_MAP)){ // load main good city map if it exists
nanny.cpp: obj_to_char(create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_GOOD_CITY_MAP)),ch);
nanny.cpp: if(race_table[ch->race]->recall_room==ROOM_VNUM_EVIL_RECALL)
nanny.cpp: if(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_EVIL_CITY_MAP)){ // load main evil city map if it exists
nanny.cpp: obj_to_char(create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_EVIL_CITY_MAP)),ch);
nanny.cpp: if(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_GOOD_CITY_MAP)){ // load main good city map if it exists
nanny.cpp: obj_to_char(create_object(get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_GOOD_CITY_MAP)),ch);
nanny.cpp: if(get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO)==NULL){
nanny.cpp: bugf("BUG: get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO)==NULL"
nanny.cpp: "ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO = %d! Saving game settings, change it in there.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
nanny.cpp: char_to_room( ch, get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO));
nanny.cpp: target_room= get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO );
pload.cpp: ROOM_INDEX_DATA *limbo=get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO );
pload.cpp: ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
pload.cpp: interpret(ch, FORMATF("goto %d",ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO));
races.cpp: r->recall_room=ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO;
races.cpp: r->death_room=ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO;
redit.cpp: ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
redit.cpp: char_to_room(ch, get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO));
rp.cpp: if (( pObjIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_RP_ITEM )) == NULL ) {
save.cpp: (ch->in_room == get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO )
save.cpp: : ch->in_room == NULL ? ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO: ch->in_room->vnum );
save.cpp: ( pet->in_room == get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO )
save.cpp: : pet->in_room == NULL ? ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO : pet->in_room->vnum );
save.cpp: ch->name, room_vnum, ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
save.cpp: ch->in_room = get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO );
save.cpp: pet->in_room = get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO );
save.cpp: if(obj->pIndexData->vnum==OBJ_VNUM_LIGHT_BALL){
save.cpp: obj = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_DUMMY ));
skill_ke.cpp: if (( pObjIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM )) == NULL ) {
skill_ke.cpp: if ( fire->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_FIRE ) {
skill_ke.cpp: if ( obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_SLICE ) {
skill_ke.cpp: coinIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_SILVER_ONE );
skill_ke.cpp: coinIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_GOLD_ONE );
skill_ke.cpp: if(obj->pIndexData->vnum==OBJ_VNUM_DRUIDSTAFF){
skill_ke.cpp: }else if (obj->pIndexData->vnum==OBJ_VNUM_TOTEMSTAFF){
skill_ke.cpp: vnum = MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_BEAR + month; // Bear = 60 and is used as an offset
skill_ti.cpp: int objvnum=OBJ_VNUM_CRYSTAL_FLASK;
skill_ti.cpp: objvnum=OBJ_VNUM_BADCRYSTAL_FLASK; // classes that can't do it usually stuff up
special.cpp:#define MOB_VNUM_PATROLMAN 2106
special.cpp:#define GROUP_VNUM_TROLLS 2100
special.cpp:#define GROUP_VNUM_OGRES 2101
special.cpp: if (vch->pIndexData->vnum == MOB_VNUM_PATROLMAN)
special.cpp: if (vch->pIndexData->group == GROUP_VNUM_OGRES
special.cpp: if (vch->pIndexData->group == GROUP_VNUM_TROLLS
special.cpp: if ( ( location = get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_OOC ) ) == NULL)
special.cpp: "Please report this to an admin.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_OOC);
special.cpp: "This room SHOULD be an OOC room - please report this bug to an admin.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_OOC);
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_LIGHT;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_VEST;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SLEEVES;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_CAP;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_GLOVES;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_LEGGINGS;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_BOOTS;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_BELT;
support.cpp: vnum = OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SWORD; // just in case!
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SHIELD;
update.cpp: char_to_room( ch, get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO ) );
update.cpp: if ( obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_FIRE ) {
update.cpp: if ( get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_ASHES) == NULL )
update.cpp: bugf("Vnum %d not found for ashes!", OBJ_VNUM_ASHES);
update.cpp: ashes = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_ASHES ));
update.cpp: if ( obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_DIVINE_LIGHT ) {
update.cpp: if ( !(obj->in_obj && obj->in_obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_PIT
pathofdarkness@zeno:~/dot/src$
================================

And because of that reason, I'm not really sure where to begin. I want to dump everything except limbo….but when I hit up my alist….this is what I get…

================================
[Num] [Area Name ]<maplevel>(lvnum-uvnum) [Filename ] Sec [Builders ]
[ 0] Aarislan, Land of Lost Chi< 1>(16050-16099) aarislan.are [9] [None ]
[ 1] Briarlea Faerie Ring < 1>(39100-39399) briaring.are [9] [None ]
[ 2] Brigand Camp < 1>(21500-21549) brigand.are [9] [None ]
[ 3] The Outland Burrows < 1>(42400-42449) burrows.are [9] [None ]
[ 4] Dzagari Courier Service < 1>(3500 - 3520) courier.are [9] [None ]
[ 5] Dandenong Town < 1>(29300-29349) dandtown.are [9] [None ]
[ 6] Darkhate Castle < 1>(17700-17799) darkhate.are [9] [None ]
[ 7] Dire Swamp < 1>(23500-23599) direswmp.are [9] [None ]
[ 8] Dzagari City < 1>(27000-27199) dzagari.are [9] [None ]
[ 9] Dzagari Sewers < 1>(33450-33499) dzagswr.are [9] [none ]
[ 10] The Eastern Star Inn < 1>(28000-28099) eastinn.are [9] [None ]
[ 11] Fire Giant Castle <65>(1800 - 1899) fgcastle.are [9] [None ]
[ 12] The Fishing Village < 1>(11100-11150) fishvill.are [9] [None ]
[ 13] Gnome Hill < 1>(23600-23740) gnomehil.are [9] [None ]
[ 14] Goblin Warrens < 1>(41700-41749) goblin.are [9] [None ]
[ 15] Gypsie Carnival < 1>(18100-18299) gypsie.are [9] [None ]
[ 16] Army of Hafran <35>(1900 - 1950) hafran.are [9] [None ]
[ 17] Halflings of PleasantField< 1>(23100-23149) halfling.are [9] [None ]
[ 18] Haunted Lighthouse <20>(43200-43249) haunted.are [9] [None ]
[ 19] The Insect Hive < 1>(22700-22799) hive.are [9] [None ]
[ 20] IRC Mud School < 1>(4200 - 4249) irc.are [9] [None ]
[ 21] The Kennels <70>(4300 - 4349) kennels.are [9] [None ]
[ 22] Links and Roads < 1>(30100-30499) links.are [9] [None ]
[ 23] Dawn Resources < 1>(1 - 499) dawn.are [9] [None ]
[ 24] Markrist Island < 1>(10000-10100) markrist.are [9] [None ]
[ 25] Mekali City < 1>(3000 - 3299) mekali.are [9] [None ]
[ 26] Mekali Park < 1>(4400 - 4420) mekapark.are [9] [None ]
[ 27] Monastery <10>(940 - 985) monastery.are [9] [None ]
[ 28] Mrem Village < 1>(16200-16299) mremvill.are [9] [None ]
[ 29] Mud school < 1>(7300 - 7499) mudschoo.are [9] [none ]
[ 30] OOC Rooms < 1>(30000-30010) ooc.are [9] [None ]
[ 31] Orc Fortress < 1>(3300 - 3399) orcfort.are [9] [None ]
[ 32] The Orphanage < 1>(4900 - 4999) orphan.are [9] [None ]
[ 33] The Outlands < 1>(33000-33099) outlands.are [9] [None ]
[ 34] Pirate Ship <10>(23741-23799) pirship.are [9] [None ]
[ 35] Dzagari Road < 1>(19950-19999) road.are [9] [None ]
[ 36] Ronar's Tomb <50>(926 - 939) ronar.are [9] [None ]
[ 37] In the Trees < 1>(12368-12389) sarsi.are [9] [None ]
[ 38] Slime Kingdom < 1>(12315-12367) slime.are [9] [None ]
[ 39] Taker's Place < 1>(19500-19649) taker.are [9] [None ]
[ 40] Training Fields < 1>(12300-12314) training.are [9] [None ]
[ 41] Troll Bridge <35>(986 - 999) trollbr.are [9] [None ]
[ 42] The Warlock's Keep < 1>(15700-15749) warkeep.are [9] [None ]
[ 43] Wilderness I < 1>(30500-30999) wild_1.are [9] [None ]
[ 44] Wilderness II < 1>(31000-31499) wild_2.are [9] [None ]
=========================================

I don't even see Limbo, but I do see an OOC area…..would the be the substitute?

And if so, would dumping all the area files not just be easier? I mean, maybe if (when the codebase was built) they built the vnums like you're talking about Igabod, into the area's themselves, not the code? I mean, I see the grep results…but I'm not 100% sure I'm reading them correctly. If I am reading them correctly, then I shouldn't have to worry about dumping the area files, right? So…maybe it's not starting up after I dump 2-3 area files because vnums in those files were linked to/with vnums in another area file?
30 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 15th comment:
You need to do grep VNUM_ *.h (or *.hpp if your headers have that suffix) to find the defines, what you did found every instance where they're used. What you need is the defines to see what the actual vnum is, so that you know what areas not to remove.

[Edit:] I'm going to venture a guess that dawn.are is formerly called limbo.are, and between dawn.are, mudschool.are and the ooc resources area, you're not going to want to remove those.
30 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 16th comment:
j_index(OBJ_VNUM_EVIL_CITY_MAP)),ch);
nanny.cpp: if(get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO)==NULL){
nanny.cpp: bugf("BUG: get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO)==NULL"
nanny.cpp: "ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO = %d! Saving game settings, change it in there.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
nanny.cpp: char_to_room( ch, get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO));
nanny.cpp: target_room= get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO );
pload.cpp: interpret(ch, FORMATF("goto %d",ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO));
races.cpp: r->recall_room=ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO;
races.cpp: r->death_room=ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO;
redit.cpp: ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
redit.cpp: char_to_room(ch, get_room_index(ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO));
rp.cpp: if (( pObjIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_RP_ITEM )) == NULL ) {
save.cpp: (ch->in_room == get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO )
save.cpp: : ch->in_room == NULL ? ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO: ch->in_room->vnum );
save.cpp: ( pet->in_room == get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO )
save.cpp: : pet->in_room == NULL ? ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO : pet->in_room->vnum );
save.cpp: ch->name, room_vnum, ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO);
save.cpp: ch->in_room = get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO );
save.cpp: pet->in_room = get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO );
save.cpp: if(obj->pIndexData->vnum==OBJ_VNUM_LIGHT_BALL){
save.cpp: obj = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_DUMMY ));
skill_ke.cpp: if (( pObjIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM )) == NULL ) {
skill_ke.cpp: if ( fire->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_FIRE ) {
skill_ke.cpp: if ( obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_SLICE ) {
skill_ke.cpp: coinIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_SILVER_ONE );
skill_ke.cpp: coinIndex = get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_GOLD_ONE );
skill_ke.cpp: if(obj->pIndexData->vnum==OBJ_VNUM_DRUIDSTAFF){
skill_ke.cpp: }else if (obj->pIndexData->vnum==OBJ_VNUM_TOTEMSTAFF){
skill_ke.cpp: vnum = MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_BEAR + month; // Bear = 60 and is used as an offset
skill_ti.cpp: int objvnum=OBJ_VNUM_CRYSTAL_FLASK;
skill_ti.cpp: objvnum=OBJ_VNUM_BADCRYSTAL_FLASK; // classes that can't do it usually stuff up
special.cpp:#define MOB_VNUM_PATROLMAN 2106
special.cpp:#define GROUP_VNUM_TROLLS 2100
special.cpp:#define GROUP_VNUM_OGRES 2101
special.cpp: if (vch->pIndexData->group == GROUP_VNUM_OGRES
special.cpp: if (vch->pIndexData->group == GROUP_VNUM_TROLLS
special.cpp: if ( ( location = get_room_index( ROOM_VNUM_OOC ) ) == NULL)
special.cpp: "Please report this to an admin.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_OOC);
special.cpp: "This room SHOULD be an OOC room - please report this bug to an admin.\r\n", ROOM_VNUM_OOC);
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_LIGHT;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_VEST;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SLEEVES;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_CAP;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_GLOVES;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_LEGGINGS;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_BOOTS;
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_BELT;
support.cpp: vnum = OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SWORD; // just in case!
support.cpp: vnum=OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SHIELD;
update.cpp: if ( obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_FIRE ) {
update.cpp: if ( get_obj_index(OBJ_VNUM_ASHES) == NULL )
update.cpp: bugf("Vnum %d not found for ashes!", OBJ_VNUM_ASHES);
update.cpp: ashes = create_object( get_obj_index( OBJ_VNUM_ASHES ));
update.cpp: if ( obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_DIVINE_LIGHT ) {
update.cpp: if ( !(obj->in_obj && obj->in_obj->pIndexData->vnum == OBJ_VNUM_PIT
pathofdarkness@zeno:~/dot/src$ grep VNUM_ *.h
cust_col.h: CC_HOLYVNUM_PLAYER_LEVEL,
cust_col.h: CC_HOLYVNUM_MOB,
cust_col.h: CC_HOLYVNUM_MOB_WITH_PROG,
macros.h: && (ch)->in_room_vnum()==ROOM_VNUM_JAIL)
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_NEWBIE_RECALL (game_settings->roomvnum_newbie_recall) // 7359
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_STARTTELNET (game_settings->roomvnum_starttelnet) // 3000
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_STARTIRC (game_settings->roomvnum_startirc) // 4200
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_LIMBO (game_settings->roomvnum_limbo )// 2
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_COURT_RECALL (game_settings->roomvnum_court_recall) // 6000
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_OOC (game_settings->roomvnum_ooc )// 30000
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_GOOD_RECALL (game_settings->roomvnum_good_recall) // 3000
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_GOOD_BANK (game_settings->roomvnum_good_bank ) // 3029
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_EVIL_RECALL (game_settings->roomvnum_evil_recall) // 27003
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_EVIL_BANK (game_settings->roomvnum_evil_bank ) // 27024
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_JAIL (game_settings->roomvnum_jail) //299
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_WEAPON_DONATE (game_settings->roomvnum_weapon_donate) //GPM
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_ARMOR_DONATE (game_settings->roomvnum_armor_donate) //GPM
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_MISC_DONATE (game_settings->roomvnum_misc_donate) //GPM
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_NEWBIEWEAPON_DONATE (game_settings->roomvnum_newbieweapon_donate) //GPM
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_NEWBIEARMOR_DONATE (game_settings->roomvnum_newbiearmor_donate) //GPM
params.h:#define ROOM_VNUM_NEWBIEMISC_DONATE (game_settings->roomvnum_newbiemisc_donate) //GPM
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SILVER_ONE 1
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_GOLD_ONE 2
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_GOLD_SOME 3
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SILVER_SOME 4
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_COINS 5
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_CRYSTAL_FLASK 7
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_BADCRYSTAL_FLASK 8
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_DUMMY 9 // Used in save.cpp to load objects that don't exist.
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_CORPSE_NPC 10
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_CORPSE_PC 11
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SEVERED_HEAD 12
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_TORN_HEART 13
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SLICED_ARM 14
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SLICED_LEG 15
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_GUTS 16
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_BRAINS 17
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_ASHES 18 // Used for fire decay remnant
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_FIRE 19 // Used for build <fire>
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_MUSHROOM 20
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_LIGHT_BALL 21
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SPRING 22
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_DISC 23
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SLICE 24
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_PORTAL 25
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_ORE 44 // The template for ores
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_WORLD_MAP (game_settings->obj_vnum_world_map)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_GOOD_CITY_MAP (game_settings->obj_vnum_good_city_map)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_EVIL_CITY_MAP (game_settings->obj_vnum_evil_city_map)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_DIVINE_LIGHT (game_settings->obj_vnum_divine_light)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_ROSE (game_settings->obj_vnum_rose)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_RAFT (game_settings->obj_vnum_raft)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_NEWBIE_GUIDE (game_settings->obj_vnum_newbie_guide)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_RP_ITEM (game_settings->obj_vnum_rp_item)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SPIRIT_HAMMER (game_settings->obj_vnum_spirit_hammer)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_STAFF (game_settings->obj_vnum_staff)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_DRUIDSTAFF (game_settings->obj_vnum_druidstaff)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_TOTEMSTAFF (game_settings->obj_vnum_totemstaff)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_PIT (game_settings->obj_vnum_pit)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_SUMMON_JUSTICE (game_settings->obj_vnum_summon_justice)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_MACE (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_mace)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_DAGGER (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_dagger)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SWORD (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_sword)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_STAFF (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_staff)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_AXE (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_axe)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_FLAIL (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_flail)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_WHIP (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_whip)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_POLEARM (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_polearm)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SICKLE (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_sickle)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_VEST (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_vest)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SHIELD (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_shield)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_LIGHT (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_light)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_SLEEVES (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_sleeves)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_CAP (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_cap)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_GLOVES (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_gloves)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_LEGGINGS (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_leggings)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_BOOTS (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_boots)
params.h:#define OBJ_VNUM_OUTFIT_BELT (game_settings->obj_vnum_outfit_belt)
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_SUMMON_GUARDIAN (game_settings->mob_vnum_summon_guardian)
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_VYR_GOOD (game_settings->mob_vnum_vyr_good)
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_VYR_BAD (game_settings->mob_vnum_vyr_bad)
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_BEAR 60
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_STAG 61
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_SWALLOW 62
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_OSPREY 63
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_TORTOISE 64
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_RAVEN 65
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_BAT 66
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_WOLF 67
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_SERPENT 68
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_TOAD 69
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_OWL 70
params.h:#define MOB_VNUM_TOTEM_HARE 71
pathofdarkness@zeno:~/dot/src$

================================================

Ok. So, if I got it right, those vnums, in those areas are the .are files i -do not- need to remove? i found those vnums using….

grep VNUM_ *.h
30 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 17th comment:
Yes, any area with vnums of those ranges, needs to stay, otherwise your MUD will repeatedly crash.
30 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 18th comment:
Ok. Apparently, the mud Owner wanted to try something a bit simpler with less color. Or, at least something that is more familiar. DoT is great, but not for a first timer I'd imagine. So, we've decided to go with AFKMud 2.1.1. Well, now I'm running into a very simple problem. The banned name list can't be found. I've tried….

grep ban *.cpp
grep authorized *.cpp
grep unacceptable *.cpp

etc
etc
etc

….and the problem is. I don't know which file the banned name list is in. I've even tried to grep 'banned name list' and it just gets stupid on me or I get stupid on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please, I hope you do. I know we've switch code midstream of you assisting us (and I'm eternally greatful), so I hope that your assistance will continue. Thanks again!
30 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 19th comment:
I believe it's called the reserved list. Although for the life of me I can't recall what the exact filename is.
30 Nov, 2008, darkestjustice wrote in the 20th comment:
This is what I found….

pathofdarkness@zeno:~/afkmud/src$ grep reserved *.cpp
comm.cpp: snprintf( buf, MSL, "grep -i -x %s ../system/reserved.lst > /dev/null", name.c_str( ) );
comm.cpp: snprintf( buf, MSL, "grep -i -x %s ../system/reserved.lst > /dev/null", invname.c_str( ) );
md5.cpp: Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2002 Aladdin Enterprises. All rights reserved.
new_auth.cpp: * Addition so that denied names get added to reserved list - Samson 10-18-98
new_auth.cpp: * Addition so that requested name changes get added to reserved list - Samson 10-18-98
new_auth.cpp: * Addition to add denied names to reserved list - Samson 10-18-98
new_auth.cpp: * Addition to put denied name on reserved list - Samson 10-18-98
new_auth.cpp: snprintf( buf, MSL, "grep -i -x %s ../system/reserved.lst > /dev/null", arg.c_str( ) );
new_auth.cpp: ch->printf( "%s is already a reserved name.\r\n" );
new_auth.cpp: ch->print( "Name reserved.\r\n" );
sha256.cpp: * All rights reserved.

and when I tried to pico the 'reserved.lst,' (without the '' and the ,), it started a new file. I think we're getting close, any other suggestions?
0.0/33