25 Feb, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
I looked at the MudConV logs and they looked pretty cool.

So, now that's settled, when and where? :P
25 Feb, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 62nd comment:
Davion said:
Fizban said:
It's been stated repeatedly that that was by far one of the least user friendly MUD bases I have ever seen.

…So far, only by you. I mean, I could be wrong, but the system was designed to be pretty simple. It was specifically designed to handle a multi-person multi-discussion environment. I do, personally think it handled that pretty well.

I'm one of the only people in this thread that was even at the previous MUDCON, I do remember several people complaining about its usability during the event itself though.
25 Feb, 2009, Davion wrote in the 63rd comment:
Fizban said:
I'm one of the only people in this thread that was even at the previous MUDCON, I do remember several people complaining about its usability during the event itself though.

Oh… wasn't aware. I remember people having a hard time figuring it out when they didn't read the little how-to prompted to them at login, but once MudMagic and the pastebin mirrored the helpfile, things picked up and moved along. At the very least, I thought it worked well. There definitely did need to be some tweaking though.
26 Feb, 2009, Guest wrote in the 64th comment:
From what I remember of it I wasn't a big fan of the way the channels worked, but I was able to figure out how to use them easily enough. It just didn't feel natural though.
26 Feb, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 65th comment:
I have no idea what was actually used, but one feature I might suggest is a command to toggle the interpreter on and off. :)

That is, people who aren't used to MUD's, but are used to IRC or other chat server environments, always bug me about wanting a way to be able to just type and have it go to the default "say" channel.

Anyways, simple enough to do if you make a command like "talk channel-name", at which point you'd make everything go into the chat channel selected unless you use an escape character prefix.

Not all that big a deal for normal muds, but one where everyone will be mostly talking and using socials for a few hours… it might save a few ' keys. *grin*
26 Feb, 2009, Davion wrote in the 66th comment:
quixadhal said:
I have no idea what was actually used, but one feature I might suggest is a command to toggle the interpreter on and off. :)

That is, people who aren't used to MUD's, but are used to IRC or other chat server environments, always bug me about wanting a way to be able to just type and have it go to the default "say" channel.

Anyways, simple enough to do if you make a command like "talk channel-name", at which point you'd make everything go into the chat channel selected unless you use an escape character prefix.

Not all that big a deal for normal muds, but one where everyone will be mostly talking and using socials for a few hours… it might save a few ' keys. *grin*

There was a 'chat' channel just for that purpose. Also, there were some short cuts built into the interpreter that helped keep things in line. I do believe there were little to no misschans in the entire event (I don't remember any at least). The logs will be a testament to that! That's pretty good for me, anyways, considering I'm horrible with channels.
27 Feb, 2009, Noplex wrote in the 67th comment:
Screw the codebase.

Let's go to California and get a beer.
27 Feb, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 68th comment:
quixadhal said:

Wasn't it the point of MudDev that it is visited by people used to MUDs?
27 Feb, 2009, Noplex wrote in the 69th comment:
For those of you on the east coast near New York I'm going to be setting up a meet up alongside another that I am running with my company. It'll most likely be next weekend on Saturday. The current place is Clifton, NJ at Rick's Bar and Grill. I'll post some more information later if there's any interest in this. If any of you would rather meet in the city New York City then I'd be willing to do that as well.
27 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 70th comment:
Is "the city" NYC? That would definitely be preferable for me and I'd most definitely be up for it :smile:
27 Feb, 2009, Noplex wrote in the 71st comment:
David Haley said:
Is "the city" NYC? That would definitely be preferable for me and I'd most definitely be up for it :smile:

For us on the east that is the only city I know of ;-).
27 Feb, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 72nd comment:
Noplex said:
It'll most likely be next weekend on Saturday…If any of you would rather meet in the city New York City then I'd be willing to do that as well.

It's a bit short notice, TBH, but if it's in the city I'll make the effort. NJ is physically
and psychologically a bit too much.

-Crat

PS If David buys my beers of course.
60.0/72