08 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey there, just a quick question about hosting locally.

I've got a friend with a server that normally hosts for me, but his server is having some updates etc and he's not too quick with setting it up.

I was just wondering how I can host it from my own Windows XP computer.

I've booted the mud up using Cygwin and used port '9999'..

../src/rom 9999

And I've logged onto my router and used port forwarding to open port 9999..

Then I send people my current IP and port 9999… but they still can't seem to connect.

I've also tried disabling my firewall completely.

Any suggestions?
08 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you can connect, but outsiders cannot then it's still somehow a firewall/router issue. Make sure you're not giving them the LAN IP either.
08 Mar, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
11 Aug, 2009, Numick wrote in the 4th comment:
I had this problem before. Are you making sure that you are not closing cygwin to kill the MUD's connection?
Also if your IP adress constantly changes that could also be the problem.
Make sure your using the IP adress that comes up on your command prompt.

If you don't know

Open Command prompt
Type in Ipconfig
Then look where it says IP Adress that should be the adress you should be giving out to your friends.
11 Aug, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 5th comment:
Firstly, this thread is 5 months old.

Secondly, that advice is incorrect. In this case the issue is not that his friends don't know his IP address, but that their connections are being refused. Furthermore, even if he hadn't given the correct IP to his friends, ipconfig would not necessarily help him. In my case, for example, it tells me my internal IP address - that information is somewhat useless if I want people outside of my own network to connect to my PC. As Zeno and Cratylus said 5 months ago, the problem is a router/firewall issue and is likely something to do with port forwarding.

Thirdly, I've come to expect better from you, David Ha- … oh wait.
11 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Confuto said:
Thirdly, I've come to expect better from you, David Ha- … oh wait.

I know, my first reaction was to look at that and think to myself that I really didn't remember writing that post… :lol:
11 Aug, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 7th comment:
Dang I thought it was you also. As far as ipconfig goes, I thought it would show you your external IP address as well but I'm not really familiar with Windows apps.
11 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
The Windows box has no way of knowing what its router's IP address is, unless they're some kind of very clever communication going on between the router and the Windows box.
0.0/8