26 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
xxa said:
Maybe this has already been discussed but I didn't see it.. what about a "DESCRIPTION" field? It would remove the burden of updating such game descriptions from the mud listing sites (via web form or email) and put it back on the game owners.

I agree that Description ought to be a field.
26 Mar, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 62nd comment:
Tyche said:
xxa said:
Maybe this has already been discussed but I didn't see it.. what about a "DESCRIPTION" field? It would remove the burden of updating such game descriptions from the mud listing sites (via web form or email) and put it back on the game owners.

thirded, motion passed.
26 Mar, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 63rd comment:
Tossing this into the ring…

One thing I don't see on this list that is very apparent as I browsed through random MUD listings over at TMC is "Newbie Friendly".

IMO, this is important information admins want to share and advertise as it draws in new players. I don't particularly like the terminology though. Maybe something like "New Player Training Area" or similar along those lines.

Thoughts?
26 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 64th comment:
"NEW PLAYER TRAINING AREA" would be a bit long for a variable name, but I second adding "NEWBIE FRIENDLY"

While at it, should CODEBASE be allowed to be submitted as a list, as in: CODEBASE\tDikuMUD\tMerc\tRom\tBubbaMud\r\n ? That way a mud list could grab the last known codebase for categorization.
26 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 65th comment:
I suggest discussing this in this other thread so that we can maintain sanity in these very long threads (one conversation per thread to the extent possible).
29 Mar, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 66th comment:
Tyche said:

Some listing sites allow the use of a markup language within MUD descriptions - and doing so can make the description look much nicer. On the other hand, other listing sites only permit plain text.

Presumably "Description" would be plain text?
30 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 67th comment:
We could allow Description and HtmlDescription, with the first being plain-text and the second being the obvious.
12 Dec, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 68th comment:
I'm adding MSSP, but I'm stuck in the Quest System type. Looking at the Mudbytes page… It has:

"None", "Immortal Run", "Automated", "Integrated"

I'm not really sure what "Integrated" means but I am assuming it would mean quests that are built into the areas and ran by NPCs (whereas Automated would probably be the Questmaster types), and we have both Immortal Run and in-area quests… Am I understanding the definitions correctly, and can you put more than one value since we have more than one type?
12 Dec, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 69th comment:
And it's randomly crashing here too:

#0  0x00d90643 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1 0x00d603ec in vfprintf () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0x00d7c94c in vsprintf () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3 0x00d6619b in sprintf () from /lib/libc.so.6
#4 0x0820ae66 in msdp_update () at update.c:4279
#5 0x08206ed3 in update_handler () at update.c:3023
#6 0x080c88a4 in game_loop_unix (control=4) at comm.c:952
#7 0x080c7fd9 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbfb64204) at comm.c:466

For now, I'm going to have to pull all of this stuff out because it's making the game unstable. Hopefully someone has some good advice :\
12 Dec, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 70th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I'm adding MSSP, but I'm stuck in the Quest System type. Looking at the Mudbytes page… It has:

"None", "Immortal Run", "Automated", "Integrated"

I'm not really sure what "Integrated" means but I am assuming it would mean quests that are built into the areas and ran by NPCs (whereas Automated would probably be the Questmaster types), and we have both Immortal Run and in-area quests… Am I understanding the definitions correctly, and can you put more than one value since we have more than one type?

Your definition is correct, and the "Variables and Values" section of the specification describes how to send multiple values (you basically just insert a MSSP_VAL character between each value), although the crawler might only use one of them (the last, if it follows the specification properly).

Hades_Kane said:
And it's randomly crashing here too:

Your code appears to have crashed inside msdp_update(), that's MSDP (and technically not even part of the protocol snippet). It shouldn't have any impact on MSSP.
12 Dec, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 71st comment:
I replied to the wrong thread with that crash bit, oops.

Thanks for the clarification on the other stuff.
60.0/71