04 Apr, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So I say 'mud-like' in the topic title because this is a contest for Guncho.

Guncho

My idea is that a small Mudbytes crew could get together and do a mud-like area. This would be played through however we want. Think of it as designing a quest area – however, we would have to design all the systems ourselves – combat, magic, whatever we decide to do based on the theme and setting we create. Also we would write the area in
Inform 7. Check it out if you haven't yet.

I'm totally open for theme, setting and system. I think it would be neat to create an interesting story and some innovative systems but we probably would want to keep the scope small….let's hear your ideas! Zombies? Flying steamships? Mad Max gang warfare?

who is with me???!!!??
04 Apr, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm not at all familiar with Inform 7, but I'm willing to help out. I'd probably recommend a medieval or dark age fantasy type theme/setting. I know it's cliched, but it's what I (and a large percentage of other MUD admins) have the most experience with. Alternatively, we could go with something science fiction… I've had a number of interesting, original sci-fi themed ideas rattling around in my head for a year or two now. I just never get to use them, due to developing a dark age/fantasy MUD! :tongue:
04 Apr, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
Like I said, I'm open to any theme or setting, but now that you mention it a SF idea sounds really interesting. I've had a few concepts like that in my head as well but nowhere to put them really for a while.

One idea revolved around a combination of M. John Harrison's K-ships in his book Light(basically ridiculous military vessels controlled by a single human operator sort of 'assimilated' into the ship, with NPC 'ghosts' called shadow operators doing a lot of the other work), the salvaging of ancient alien artifacts in the same book, and Glen Cook's Passage at Arms (basically submarines in space).

Another one was sort of a 3D Starship Troopers/Hammer's Slammers/Space Marines/Halo non-violent/stealth cooperative thing.

There was a pretty interesting post about how to do multiplayer IF here: http://emshort.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/...
05 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 4th comment:
So Guncho is a LPMud like system with the difference that it allows connecting between different worlds and that whoever is behind it will host your Guncho Mud for you?
05 Apr, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 5th comment:
Yes, that's basically it – I think. I don't think there's an in-line code editor like on LPs – either you do it offline then upload, or write it in a web page builder I think.
05 Apr, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 6th comment:
Interesting. I'm slightly familiar with the old Inform languages, back when they were simply an offshoot of the Z-Code that Infocom games used. I7 looks to be quite interesting though, as it's packed a natural language processor atop an engine that reminds me of prolog. Refreshingly different.

Here's a link to a nice introductory article.

http://www.brasslantern.org/writers/howt...
05 Apr, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 7th comment:
Yes, part of what draws me to Inform 7 is its declarative nature – a fun way to try a different programming paradigm.
05 Apr, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 8th comment:
I read the first three chapters of the Inform 7 tutorial. I was going to read more, but I decided to wait and see if this idea is generating any interest. Who is in so far?
09 Apr, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 9th comment:
I'm still not counting out another Mudbytes member (Mudbyter? ;) ) throwing their hat in, but if not what do you think Lyanic? Willing to enter as a two-person team? I also have some interest from the IF community side, we could pick up another teammate that way.
09 Apr, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 10th comment:
Idealiad said:
I'm still not counting out another Mudbytes member (Mudbyter? ;) ) throwing their hat in, but if not what do you think Lyanic? Willing to enter as a two-person team? I also have some interest from the IF community side, we could pick up another teammate that way.

Sure.
0.0/10