30 May, 2009, cr08 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So I thought I'd get a post in here finally. I'm really interested in this and would be tickled if it went down a similar path to that of mudwho/rwho (given limitations of course).

So Javelin (one of the many older developers of Penn) has started the initial support of MSSP into the codebase, although it's not in the main branch yet (and probably won't be unless more main developers sign off on it. Which reminds me: Whoever is in charge of the tintin.sf.net/mssp page needs to edit it as MSSP isn't in the main branch but locked away in a private branch till it is accepted and merged. Right now the only public access is through a diff file on the trac from a posted ticket and manually patching it in. M*U*S*H has it active because that is the primary development/test copy for the penn dev's. My game, Pokemon Adventures, has it because I manually patched it in when I came across it 'cause I was curious.).

I have recently went through and did some more work on this, mostly adding to what was there. I'm not a programmer so most of my work is copy/paste and debug stuff. ;)

* More variables have been added. On the tintin mssp page I am down to 'ROOMS' in the World section. Javelin's original patch only had a small couple that the codebase could automatically provide.
* Added the plaintext implementation so both that and the telnet negotiation options are there.

The ticket and patch file on the penn dev site are here: http://dev.pennmush.org/ticket/8158
I should note that it is VERY sloppy and far from complete. But between of not having more time on my hands and not being a programmer, I can only take it this far. The only things protocol-wise that I can think may set off some people is that variables that can have multiple entries are only capable of single entries with the existing code and 2) variables that can be set 'None' will simply not be sent to the crawler at all if the config option is left commented or blank (though I think this is good. Like TMC you can leave options blank if not applicable or related and set 'No' if it relates to your game but is not allowed). Otherwise I think it's all as sane as can be given my skills.

My production mush where this current code is on is up at pokemonadventures.game-host.org:4202 . MSSP-REQUEST in a common client works as noted above. And you can compare incoming data on the existing crawler: http://tintin.sourceforge.net/mssp/mudli... by looking at my mush and M*U*S*H side by side (once mine is crawled again with the new info).

And last note: As with open source wares: Anyone is free to elaborate on my/Javelin's patch if they want to further it. Can't guarantee it'll make it into the public Penn branch since that is all up to the main dev's in charge. But a manual patching is always possible.
30 May, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
Hiyas,

I updated the mssp page with a mention that PennMUSH supports the protocol in a private branch, and added a link to your patch in the Snippets section.
0.0/2