26 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
The useful conversation got derailed then the thread got locked, so here we are.

The problem statement:
1- Some people don't like having their MUD crawled too often, for a variety of reasons. They want to control the frequency with which a crawler pings the MUD.
2- Some people don't want their MUD crawled at all. A subset of these people (perhaps all of them) don't want to bother with MSSP to tell crawlers to go away.

The solutions to (1) are fairly simple. If people are already implementing MSSP, they can use the a 'crawl delay' field to specify the minimum delay between connections.

The solution to (2) is less clear. If one doesn't want to implement or otherwise deal with MSSP, obviously they cannot use the 'crawl delay' field. Therefore they need to communicate to the crawler in some other way to go away.

Possibilities:
1- "robots.txt". If crawling www.example-mud.net port 4000, first check http://www.example-mud.net/mssp.txt (??) for instructions. Such instructions could say "don't ever", or specify delays, or maybe even times at which to not log on. (??)
2- "social approach". Get in touch with the crawler operator and ask them to please not crawl the game.

I think that, realistically, option 2 is the best here. Setting up the specification for option 1 is a lot of work most of which will be wasted, and besides this only helps a rather small set of people (namely the ones who are bothered by connection attempts in logs, and who for various reasons refuse to solve it on their end). I think that the vast majority of crawler operators will be reasonable, so getting in touch with them and allowing a, well, reasonable delay to fix it seems like it would work just fine. For these reasons I think that option 1 incurs far more cost than gain. Besides, not everybody has web space, so it wouldn't work in general anyhow.

So my proposal is that we do two things:
1- Add the crawl delay variable.
2- Very, very strongly suggest that crawlers allow people to opt out of MSSP scanning, preferably relatively easily and ideally without crawler admin intervention.
26 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 2nd comment:
David Haley said:
1- Some people don't like having their MUD crawled too often, for a variety of reasons.

Considering this is part of the log file that I logged into this morning, can you blame me?

said:
Read_from_descriptor: Connection reset by peer
Fri Jun 26 02:00:44 2009 :: Sock.sinaddr: 98.20.14.106

EDIT (Asylumius): Trimming this down. It used to show the same IP hitting the MUD every minute over and over. You get the picture.

That aside, from what I was able to gather from the other thread (and I would appreciate some clarification) this is the policy as I understand it:

-Right now, the only way to opt out is to remove your listing
-Eventually, you'll be able to opt out with your listing
-The crawler will ping every 30 minutes regardless
-Having the ability to customize the frequency of the crawler defeats the purpose of the crawler with regards to tracking player trends and connection info
-If you don't want it crawling every 30 minutes, your option is to opt out (in whatever ways that are available at the time)

Is that an accurate summation of what we are looking at?
26 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Look, we get it. OK. It connects a lot. I don't think we need to say it again, let alone paste so much text in everybody's way. Could you edit that out?

Hades_Kane said:

Yes, apparently MB combines the connection testing with the MSSP validating, so you can't opt out of MSSP without opting out of the listing as well. But that can change. I don't think we need to dwell too much on how the MB crawler happens to be implemented now; all of this is still in beta, after all.

I don't think it needs to ping 30 minutes if it's just testing connections.

-Having the ability to customize the frequency of the crawler defeats the purpose of the crawler with regards to tracking player trends and connection info

Well, sort of. MSSP isn't just about tracking player trends. It's about getting automatically updated listing information. Having frequently updated player information is nice, but it's not the main point.
26 Jun, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 4th comment:
From what I gathered the primary purpose of the crawler is to check if the mud is up, and secondary purpose is gathering player stats through MSSP.

I'd suggest:

1) Crawl MUDs every 24 hours.
2) If a MUD supports MSSP increase crawl interval to every 3 hours.
3) If a MSSP MUD supports CRAWL DELAY set the crawl interval between 0:30 and 24 hours depending on the value returned using -1 for crawler default.

I don't think a crawler should go with shorter intervals than once an hour, unless specifically requested by a mud returning 0.
26 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 5th comment:
Scandum said:
From what I gathered the primary purpose of the crawler is to check if the mud is up, and secondary purpose is gathering player stats through MSSP.

I'd suggest:

1) Crawl MUDs every 24 hours.
2) If a MUD supports MSSP increase crawl interval to every 3 hours.
3) If a MSSP MUD supports CRAWL DELAY set the crawl interval between 0:30 and 24 hours depending on the value returned using -1 for crawler default.

I don't think a crawler should go with shorter intervals than once an hour, unless specifically requested by a mud returning 0.

I'm with Scandum :)
26 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 6th comment:
I don't get that specific crawler coming to my MUD so I can't complain. However, connecting every 24 hours then defeats the purpose of the variable that tells how many players are on when the crawler connects, which would also be confuzzled if the crawler only connected once at like 1am in the morning when most MUDs will be dead. Why don't we change that variable to an average players variable instead, or instead of a set 24 hours, 30 minutes, 12 hours ect, let MUD admins pick when the crawler connects as previously stated. Perhaps you could tell it to connect not at all, connect at this specific time, or connect every 2 hours or variable'd as determined by the admin of the MUD.

If the MUD doesn't want to be crawled, why still crawl it at a delay? Why can't the crawler just check it and say 'don't crawl thus mud' and don't come back, or maybe ping it every 3-4 days or something.
26 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Can we please remove that huge log, or at least trim it? It doesn't contribute anything – we know what the problem is and have already acknowledged it – and it just gets in the way. Really, we get it, so let's not waste our time and space continually saying how much of a problem it is. :smile: Thanks…

Anyhow. I'm not sure we need to assume that the MB connection testing and MSSP crawler need to be the same program. But if they have to be, what Scandum proposed sounds reasonable. Given that player numbers seem to be important, I would suggest that crawl delay be in minutes after all, not hours, so that you can give easier values like 30 instead of 0:30.
26 Jun, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 8th comment:
Banner said:
I don't get that specific crawler coming to my MUD so I can't complain. However, connecting every 24 hours then defeats the purpose of the variable that tells how many players are on when the crawler connects, which would also be confuzzled if the crawler only connected once at like 1am in the morning when most MUDs will be dead.

I think the best options are: crawl every 3 hours or crawl every 11 hours.

If you crawl every 11 hours the hour crawled will change with 2 hours per day, so after 6 days you'll have 12 measurements spread out evenly over a 24 hour period.
26 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 9th comment:
David Haley said:
Can we please remove that huge log, or at least trim it?

Asylumius beat me to it :p
26 Jun, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 10th comment:
Scandum said:

TMC already checks if muds are up (and has done so for a long time), and I imagine there are other listing sites that do so as well. So I agree that checking once every 24 hours should be fine. If the mud has MSSP then personally I'd be tempted to check once every hour, simply because it would look good on a graph showing the on- and off-peak playerbase.
26 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Agreed. If a crawler insists on doing both MSSP and normal connection pinging, it makes sense to increase frequency only for MUDs that are known to implement MSSP.
26 Jun, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 12th comment:
Would you fellas please stop hitting refresh on this page? I think you you should only refresh and post at most 4 times a day, and then only if you have a new point to make.
This is a turned based game based on the content of your post. People who take more turns and post the same tired arguments over and over again ruin it for the casual reader.
*kof*
26 Jun, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 13th comment:
So to get things going again:

"CRAWL DELAY"        Preferred minimum number of hours between crawls. Send "-1"
to use the crawler's default.

With the implied understanding that a crawl delay of 0 means the mud doesn't mind crawl delays of less than 1 hour.
26 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
I think minutes are simpler, and there should be no distinction between "default" and "don't care". -1 should mean "please don't come back for <some long period of time>".
26 Jun, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 15th comment:
hi which thread is this now lol
26 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 16th comment:
Out of curiosity, since this has been brought up, which way is it planned (or currently) for Mud Bytes to check uptime, through a connection ping, or through MSSP alone? That might be an important distinction to make first, but if they do operate separately timers, I certainly think

DavidHaley said:
it makes sense to increase frequency only for MUDs that are known to implement MSSP.

If they are going to operate one in the same, its probably a moot point :p
26 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 17th comment:
Cratylus said:
hi which thread is this now lol

The productive one :p
26 Jun, 2009, Davion wrote in the 18th comment:
The MSSP crawler and uptime checker are on in the same.
26 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 19th comment:
Davion said:
The MSSP crawler and uptime checker are on in the same.

Thanks!

Hey, while I have your attention, I understand this might have been lost in the all of the crap prior to the thread being split. But this was how I interpreted the staff's view on MSSP. I was wondering if this was accurate, or if I'm misunderstanding something:

-If you don't want it crawling every 30 minutes, your option is to opt out (in whatever ways that are available at the time)

Is that the general consensus at the moment as far as the staff is concerned?

Thanks!

edited to add: I figure if we know where the staff is on these issues, the discussion can be more productive so we don't waste time discussing things that are contrary to what's going to happen anyway :p
26 Jun, 2009, Davion wrote in the 20th comment:
-You cannot opt out of being crawlled by our crawler unless you remove your listing
-Eventually the crawler will support a delay feature
-At the current time, the crawler goes every half hour.
0.0/52