14 Jul, 2009, mitchm wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have done most of my MUD coding in CircleMUD and CoffeeMUD.

Both are really nice, I prefer the CircleMUD mostly because Coffee doesn't seem as quick, nor does it use vnums for objects etc.

I'm currently wanting to implement mobs that track players and attack them, but I'm not sure how easy this is going to be in Circle.

Before I started, I was looking at some other codebases and wondering if I should switch from Circle.

Can anyone give me some insight into what I couldn't do with Circle that is easier with another base? Is there much of an advantage to jump to something written in C++ such as AckFuss?

Also, I have a memorization and introduction system written into my MUD, do you know of any bases that this is standard in, that would save me a lot of time on the conversion.
14 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 2nd comment:
People play what they know, which in the case of Diku players seems to be ROM and Smaug.

So arguably that's what you want to settle for Diku-wise, even if there's better stuff out there.
14 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 3rd comment:
Scandum said:
People play what they know, which in the case of Diku players seems to be ROM and Smaug.

So arguably that's what you want to settle for Diku-wise, even if there's better stuff out there.

That sword cuts both ways, though. If you can attract first time players, or win over those from other systems, then the fewer other muds like yours the better.
14 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 4th comment:
Attracting first time players is incredibly difficult, it's why all the commercial muds leach on the mud community.
14 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 5th comment:
mitchm said:
I'm currently wanting to implement mobs that track players and attack them, but I'm not sure how easy this is going to be in Circle.

I don't know if this would help you any, but here is a snippet for ROM:

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...
14 Jul, 2009, Skol wrote in the 6th comment:
Mitchm, for a Rom based game I have done similar. The age-old track snippet that Hades posted above, but then also put in a new 'Act' for mobs ACT_TRACKER. I haven't made them auto-track down people, but use it more for mercenary type 'pets' (or a blood hound etc).

Mine goes on to check if the mob is humanoid/intelligent enough to speak, if not then they simply pull towards that direction.

You'd most likely want to create a 'track timer' or perhaps just an action timer in the mob/char structure so that it doesn't fire off all at once. Maybe put some variance in for light/dark, weather, randomize things, a chance to 'lose the trail' and stop, or find them and attack.
14 Jul, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 7th comment:
mitchm said:
I have done most of my MUD coding in CircleMUD and CoffeeMUD.

Both are really nice, I prefer the CircleMUD mostly because Coffee doesn't seem as quick, nor does it use vnums for objects etc.

Before I started, I was looking at some other codebases and wondering if I should switch from Circle.

Can anyone give me some insight into what I couldn't do with Circle that is easier with another base? Is there much of an advantage to jump to something written in C++ such as AckFuss?

Also, I have a memorization and introduction system written into my MUD, do you know of any bases that this is standard in, that would save me a lot of time on the conversion.

Assuming when you say CircleMUD you actually mean CWG or tbaMUD then the mob idea is stupidly simple, and can be done with DG Scripts.
15 Jul, 2009, Frenze wrote in the 8th comment:
I believe that TBAmud already has that with memory mobs don't they? I know they attack, but yea. As for tracking them, just down load a swr code, look at the code for hunting mobs, then just pretty much make a circlemud port of it, but as a warning, SMAUG code does not mix well with CIRCLE, mostly because of things like do_fun that circlemud does NOT have. Shouldn't be to hard though if you just put your mind to it.

As for switching, you might decide that moving up to a recent copy of TBAmud, or CWG. Seeing as both have a wide range of support, and updates, if you haven't done so already, I suggest TBAmud myself but others would say diffrently.
15 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 9th comment:
My old Diku has some code that does this. Each mob actually holds a list of "hated" and "feared" players/npcs… if you beat it up and it flees, it will remember you until reboot and run as soon as it detects you. Likewise, if you're the one running, it will remember and track you. There have been cases when players have run back to the newbie village and their foes sit outside the inn taunting them to come out and fight. *grin*
15 Jul, 2009, Skol wrote in the 10th comment:
Rofl, that's Awesome Quix!!
I still remember going back to kill the Black knight (Lok's Camelot) over and over in a kind of retribution for him pasting me repeatedly in a game heh.
Did you keep the names as strings in an array? (rather than a ch->hated[0] = victim where it'd NULL if the person wasn't on etc).
15 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 11th comment:
Since it's slightly on topic, I released lola 1.0 today, a merc/mrmud/emud derived codebase, as I lost interest and hadn't worked on it for a while.

It supports tracking for players which should be fairly easy to change so it'll allow tracking by angry mobs.

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...
15 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
I thought that fear/hate was pretty standard in SMAUG or SmaugFUSS.
15 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
Yep, it uses strings (linked lists, rather than arrays). :)

It might be standard in Smaug, but mine is older so it was probably borrowed from SillyMUD/DaleMUD, or possibly Copper 2. I don't think Merc had come out yet in 93, but maybe.
15 Jul, 2009, Skol wrote in the 14th comment:
Nice nice Quix, I might have to meander down that path as it always seemed fun.
I remember once hiding in a room (only exit up) because I'd fled a dragon above… that's when I realized the 'Duh' in Diku heh. The dragon didn't remember me or care/know that I was hanging out underneath him going 'omfg crap how do I get out, it's gonna KEEEEL me!' etc.
Linked lists are my friends ;).
0.0/14