21 Jul, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
quixadhal said:
Bzzzzt.

You appear to be living in the 1980's, so let me clue you in a tiny bit….

And y'all are a bunch of girls.
21 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 62nd comment:

I thought we were homosexual Mexicans? Darn, and here I thought these were just man-boobs….
21 Jul, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 63rd comment:
Scandum said:
Cratylus said:
I'm not, like, in love with Cygwin, but I never had the kind of trouble described here.
If anything what I didn't like was the awkwardish feel of the package management,
but that's just a style preference, not a practical obstacle.

I think that's the main problem people are having. They try to compile their software, get a bunch of errors because of missing packages, and rather than adding these packages they start hacking away at the sourcecode till it compiles, then they're annoyed when the hacked up code is unstable.

Your condescension knows no bounds.
22 Jul, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 64th comment:
quixadhal said:
while(fork()) system("cp -rp /usr/src/linux /tmp/fun$$; nice -n -20 make vmlinuz");

lol'd when i saw this
22 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 65th comment:
I just never understood the point of Cygwin. If you need it, you are using the wrong operating sytem. (I already know the responses. I need Windows for work, I want to play games, blah blah). =)
22 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 66th comment:
But work only has Windows machines and I like to game at home. So I needs my Cygwin! :devil:
22 Jul, 2009, Dean wrote in the 67th comment:
But then, that's what virtual machines are for and so forth. :lol:
26 Jul, 2009, Grimble wrote in the 68th comment:
Samson said:
No joke actually, I knew someone back in the late waning days of the C-64 who ran a MUD on his poor ailing computer. But back then I really wasn't all that aware of what he was doing besides "playing D&D with strangers" as he put it then. High end 1200 baud C-64 modems were the rage. Though, I suspect his parents were none too happy to have the phone line tied up with however he was allowing the public to connect. Sort of silly to say "if you ran nothing else" because a C-64 was not capable of multitasking. You ran one app/game/whatever, that was it.

The C-64 being my first computer, I wondered about this during my trip in the way-back machine. I think your friend was probably running a single-user (at a time) BBS rather than a MUD. It would have been a challenge just to get the networking protocols onto a C-64. T'was a wonderful machine in its day though.
26 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 69th comment:
He had some sort of internet gateway going. It's all a bit fuzzy since it's been many many years ago but I do know he was able to have more than one person online at a time. People did a lot of unexpected things with those Commodores :)
26 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 70th comment:
Grimble said:
Samson said:
No joke actually, I knew someone back in the late waning days of the C-64 who ran a MUD on his poor ailing computer. But back then I really wasn't all that aware of what he was doing besides "playing D&D with strangers" as he put it then. High end 1200 baud C-64 modems were the rage. Though, I suspect his parents were none too happy to have the phone line tied up with however he was allowing the public to connect. Sort of silly to say "if you ran nothing else" because a C-64 was not capable of multitasking. You ran one app/game/whatever, that was it.

The C-64 being my first computer, I wondered about this during my trip in the way-back machine. I think your friend was probably running a single-user (at a time) BBS rather than a MUD. It would have been a challenge just to get the networking protocols onto a C-64. T'was a wonderful machine in its day though.

Hehehe, Ok, I had to dig these up….

Some hardware – http://home.ica.net/~leifb/commodore/eth...
and then some software – http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki/
and you have http://www.c64web.com/ and http://58.6.118.18/, which claims to be an actual C64.

So, having a very small MUD might be quite possible, but the game design would have be fairly clever (procedural generation) to fit it AND the tcp/ip stack in about 52K of RAM. You can't get all 64K, because some hardware events are tied to particular chunks of memory.
12 Aug, 2009, Vermax Hosting wrote in the 71st comment:
So I was scrolling through the forum and stumbled upon this thread. I found it quite interesting and decided to do some research. After a little time on the search engines, I realize there is not really a true nailed down tutorial on the initial setup and security of a MUD server. There are several tid bits that one could put together provided they were patient enough to do so (a good trait to have when setting up a server of course), however nothing that provided a step by step for complete n00bs. Of course I don't think everyone and their brother should be going around throwing up MUD servers on their home desktops as we have many of those already, but for someone truly interested in venturing into the world of servers, should their not be some type of tutorial specifically geared towards MUDs?

So after that long winded pointless paragraph, would anyone be willing to possibly collaborate and build a tutorial? I will of course put forth my knowledge but my time is limited currently. I have no problem hosting the tutorial site and I think it would be a great addition to the MUD resource community.

What are everyone's thoughts?

- Vermax Hosting
12 Aug, 2009, Davion wrote in the 72nd comment:
Something like that could be done in the articles section very easily, and support collaboration from anyone and everyone interested. There's some stuff in the HowTo category on how to add new articles. You can always look at existing ones to see how they use the header and subheader bbcodes.
12 Aug, 2009, Exodus wrote in the 73rd comment:
Dean said:
But then, that's what virtual machines are for and so forth. :lol:

Totally. One of the muds I have set up runs in a VM on a Vista (yeah, I know) box.
Domain host->freedns service->router->VM instance. Works well if you have even a moderately fast connection as long as you have some sort of high/unlimited bandwidth plan, you'll be fine.
60.0/73