01 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
It should be possible to hijack various google searches to lead to a MUD portal of sorts.

Searches that come to mind are: dial-up MMO, dial-up mmorpg, blind games, text games, text based games. It would likely require some brainstorming and usage of google trends to come up with the best set of keywords to target. Next step would be to create specialized pages that not only cater to a set of keywords, but also explains what muds are in a manner relevant to the keywords.

Another hurdle is getting the page rank to get a top 3 position on google. This can be done by only including MUDs that link to the portal site, and it's important to also add relevant keywords to the image link, since that's one thing google cares about.

Next problem is categorization, this probably needs to be simple with big buttons, people new to MUDs will likely only care about the genre, subgenre, and playing style. Modern MUD listings seem to primarily cater to those with a vested interest in muds.

It's also important not to list dead muds, whether they're offline or have no active players. The portal site should probably also have a flash client to make connecting easy.

Matter of fact is, if you can't google muds by any of their characteristics they don't exist as far as the outside world is concerned.
01 Dec, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
MudGamers could probably make use of this.

'inuyasha online game' has http://www.onlinegamesinn.com/showgame/2... on the first page, although the URL being matched really helps that show up. But there's no portal on that site at all, so it's kind of useless.
01 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 3rd comment:
You'd get a lot more hits if you were to somehow get the #1 spot for 'inuyasha game' which is a far more popular search term, that is, according to google trends.

Hard to do on your own however.
01 Dec, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Hmm, apparently I never included 'game' much in my site content. I'm on page 3 for 'inuyasha' so I think I could get up there with 'inuyasha game' if I added more of that term to my site.

It doesn't help that I use frames either.
0.0/4