03 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I moved to the most ridiculous place in the world and I have no internet. The only thing available is satellite…and I refuse to pay 80 bucks a month with a 2 year contract for limited monthly bandwidth and a terrible downstream. Hopefully it will be resolved soon so I can come play with you guys again.
03 Dec, 2009, bbailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I moved to the most ridiculous place in the world and I have no internet. The only thing available is satellite…and I refuse to pay 80 bucks a month with a 2 year contract for limited monthly bandwidth and a terrible downstream. Hopefully it will be resolved soon so I can come play with you guys again.

Heeeeey, you're not dead! Woot! See you soon!
03 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
People were starting to wonder if the ChrisHaleyDavidBailey (looking at you, Sini) entity had separated and you'd disappeared. Good to hear that you're still around, but bad to hear that internet access is so ridiculous over there. :sad:
03 Dec, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 4th comment:
I lived in a small town when I was a kid (in the days of dial up) and we had the worst speed ever.
It took about a minute and a half just to load a .gif file, so I understand! But hey, I played my first mud
on that computer with that horrible connection and hey, it worked :wink:
Don't give up, the Ruby community needs your help.

(although I've turned to the DARK Lua side for now :devil:)
04 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 5th comment:
Alright, I signed up for verizon mobile broadband stuff. It's a stupid price and it has only 5gb a month of bandwidth. If you go over it's 1.99$ US per MB!!!! If I download a movie when I'm out of bandwidth it will cost 1500$ US, meh. The modem will be in on monday.
04 Dec, 2009, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Alright, I signed up for verizon mobile broadband stuff. It's a stupid price and it has only 5gb a month of bandwidth. If you go over it's 1.99$ US per MB!!!! If I download a movie when I'm out of bandwidth it will cost 1500$ US, meh. The modem will be in on monday.

Text based browser ftw? :)
04 Dec, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 7th comment:
Chris Bailey said:

I had actually been wondering why I hadn't seen you since I got back on IMC2 recently…
04 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Sounds like it might make sense to invest in a router that will cap your bandwidth usage for you, or at least let you easily see your usage, so that you don't accidentally blow out your 5gb limit. It would be pretty easy to use up a lot of bandwidth quickly when doing fairly innocuous things, even like poking around on image-heavy sites, updating Linux systems, or things like that.
04 Dec, 2009, Runter wrote in the 9th comment:
My only bit of advice is disconnect modem from internet completely when not using it.
04 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 10th comment:
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but there's no arguing with an Internet addiction.
04 Dec, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 11th comment:
Chris Bailey said:

move back
04 Dec, 2009, Kline wrote in the 12th comment:
Available cell coverage? I'm on my "tactical internet" this weekend (read: wifi tethered to my cell data connection); because while the hotel I am is very nice looking, there is no internet to speak of. <3 unlimited data plan and free roaming!
05 Dec, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
There was a patch for linux, ages ago, which allowed you to set quotas on network usage, in much the same way you can for disk usage. For amusement, I tested it by setting a user to be allowed 10KB/hour. Sure enough after about 10 minutes of playing nethack, they got disconnected. :)

If you have a 5G/month limit, you might try setting up a firewall to do the same thing?

Oh, and yes… be sure you turn it off when not in use, and be really sure you use authentication! Unless you're in a cabin, miles from everyone else, somebody else may see you appear and go "Ooooo, dat naked chicks interweb thing is back!".

I also have unlimited data and roaming, but it's a crapple, so I haven't yet got tethering enabled (you apparently can drop a file in the right place IF you have a mac… if you don't, you get to SUFFER!). Am I the only one who things "tethering" is a stupid name for bridging?
05 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
quixadhal said:
I also have unlimited data and roaming, but it's a crapple, so I haven't yet got tethering enabled (you apparently can drop a file in the right place IF you have a mac… if you don't, you get to SUFFER!). Am I the only one who things "tethering" is a stupid name for bridging?

I gotta say, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've seen both terms (tethering and bridging) but never one used to mean the other.
05 Dec, 2009, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
Isn't tethering your cellphone when you use the cellphone itself as a modem..?
05 Dec, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 16th comment:
Tethering is having your cellphone act as a bridge between its cellular network connection and your wireless device's connection. That sounds like bridging to me….
05 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
How is that different from your cable modem acting as a "bridge" between the cable network and your wired device connection?
05 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 18th comment:
Actually, I am in a Cabin! But I'm not miles from anyone else, it's a little cabin neighborhood!
05 Dec, 2009, Kline wrote in the 19th comment:
Tethering was simple on my WinMo (T-Mobile Dash) as it was natively supported…It's only simple on my G1 (HTC Dream) because I rooted it and use 3rd party firmware :P For all the travel I do where I know not to expect and form of internet; it's a must in a cell phone for me to be able to use the data plan like this.
05 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
It sounds like you should maybe get in touch with Scandum to help cure your Internet addiction. :blues:
0.0/32