13 Jan, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
This is a question for the Windows users out there that I can't figure out the answer to.

So when I browse to my C:\ drive it says out of 51 GB I have 43 GB used. That 43 seemed kind of high, and casually looking at the folders in C:\ shows I only have about 16 GB used in Windows, Documents and Settings, Programs, and a couple of other random things like pagefile.sys and IBMTools (for my IBM laptop).

I downloaded a better analyzing tool than Explorer (FlexTk – it seems better anyway for freeware), and an analysis of C:\ says I have 24 GB used.

I ran defragment just last week….where are the other 20 GB?
13 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 2nd comment:
Might be from temporary files that don't get deleted. Also, if you have restore points enabled those can use up a lot of space.

I use CCleaner when I'm in Windows to clean all my temp files and stuff. It's free as well.
13 Jan, 2010, Davion wrote in the 3rd comment:
Windows has a couple of temp folders IIRC that sometimes aren't so temp. Check C:/temp, also there should be one for internet files too. Those can all add up. If they're hidden they also may not appear in the 'Used' statistic. Empty the recycling bin too if you haven't.

ninja'd
13 Jan, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
OK, my C:\Windows\Temp directory is 3 MB. Pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys (not exactly temporary I don't think, but large individual files) are 3.5 GB in total. These are still included in the 24 GB analysis of C:\ though. All hidden system files are shown as far as I can tell.

My C:\RECYCLER (I think that's the Recycle bin) has 13 MB.

I thought maybe System Restore would be the problem but I found this:

The amount of space a System Restore will allocate towards its use is, by default, 12 percent of your total useable space on the particular partition being monitored if the partition is greater than 4GB, otherwise it will use up to 400 MB. This amount can be adjusted per partition in the System Restore tab in your System control panel. If you have less than 200 MB, system restore will be disabled until the amount of available space rises above 200 MB. If system restore attempts to make a new restore point, and that restore point would put you past the allocated amount of storage that system restore can use, system restore will delete the oldest restore point automatically to create more room for the new one.

So it says it'll use up to 12% – I checked my System Restore and it's using about 6 GB – that doesn't seem like the culprit then?
13 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 5th comment:
Have you tried rebooting? After cleaning my temp files and cleaning all but one restore point I only had 14GB of space left. I rebooted and it was back to 25gb or so.
13 Jan, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 6th comment:
You might find this tool useful: http://download.cnet.com/SpaceMonger/300...
13 Jan, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 7th comment:
I did a disk cleanup and removed all restore points but the most recent, then rebooted. Now I have 12 GB free on a 50 GB disk, with 20 GB listed as used in C:\. There still seems to be 18 GB missing.

System Restore says it uses 6 GB, so I'm willing to say that's part of the 18.

This is the HDD information:

Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
Size 55.89 GB (60,011,642,880 bytes)
Partition Size 51.62 GB (55,428,678,144 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes

Partition Disk #0, Partition #1 <— this is the hidden factory restore partition
Partition Size 4.26 GB (4,575,191,040 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 55,428,710,400 bytes

I thought for a minute that the factory restore partition was eating some of the missing memory, but I think this shows that's already accounted for.

So it still seems like there's 12 GB missing…any other ideas?

kiasyn, thanks for the suggestion, I think the other tool I got does the same thing.
13 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 8th comment:
You know, I don't think I can help you any further. LOL

I'm not very good with windows I barely know how to use it I've run Linux as my main desktop for many years now and am just now getting back into windows.

Have you checked your Program File directory? Have you poked around with hidden files viewable to see if somethings been logging crazy lately or perhaps is creating random files that are starting to add up in a not so easy place to find?

Like I said, I'd try getting CCleaner(http://www.ccleaner.com/) and check what it finds. It searches not only windows but firefox, ie and other programs you have installed. :)

My friend had 9.3gb of temporary files on his computer.
14 Jan, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 9th comment:
Thanks Kjwah, I appreciate all suggestions :). The weird thing I don't understand is, even if there are temporary files, shouldn't they show up when I check the memory occupied by folders? I have 'show hidden files' checked and everything.

edit: I just tried CClear, nice program! It deleted 30 MB – the search continues ;D.
14 Jan, 2010, elanthis wrote in the 10th comment:
Windows does a lot of weird things with hidden files and the like.

Also note that you may just need to run a scandisk and a maybe even defrag. You might have a lot of unlinked files that the disk usage checker is counting but which are not accessible or in use anymore (it can happen if you delete stuff and lose power before the meta-data changes are fully committed). The defrag might help if Windows does something funky but theoretically possible with the counting of size of fragmented files.

If it still doesn't help, maybe you should ask on one of the Windows forums instead of a bunch of MUD programmers, many (most?) of whom are more of Linux/UNIX experts than they are Windows experts. :)
14 Jan, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 11th comment:
elanthis said:
If it still doesn't help, maybe you should ask on one of the Windows forums instead of a bunch of MUD programmers, many (most?) of whom are more of Linux/UNIX experts than they are Windows experts. :)

Yes, it's kind of a shot in the dark I know, but I have more confidence in you guys than finding a good Windows forum…I actually just posted this question on another Windows forum, but if you have any suggestions…

I did run defrag recently; I could do it again but this issue was noticeable even before I ran the defrag last week.
14 Jan, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 12th comment:
Sorry for the double post, looks like I missed the edit window. Figured this out – it was hidden recovery images created by my laptop. Deleted the old ones and got back 18 GB :D.
14 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 13th comment:
I figured it'd be some random program doing something silly like that. :)

Glad you got it figured out!
0.0/13