05 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
hi everybody,

i've been building on MUDs for a while, but i am completely clueless when it comes to compiling and such, as this is the first time i've ever tried to start a MUD of my own. the whole compiling thing makes sense for the most part, but the errors are a completely foreign language to me. i tried extensively to find information in google about these errors but had zero luck. any help is greatly appreciated. :)

this is what i get when i run the make command:

> make
make -s smaug
Compiling o/imc.o….
imc.c: In function 'const char* imc_find_social(CHAR_DATA*, const char*, const char*, const char*, int)':
imc.c:7496: error: redeclaration of 'char lcSocName [4096]'
imc.c:7491: error: 'char lcSocName [4096]' previously declared here
make[1]: *** [o/imc.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
06 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Could you show the lines of code please? Perhaps all of imc_find_social, if it's not too big.

Chances are that you'll just have to remove the second declaration; it's a little strange that there are two in the first place.
06 Feb, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
This would be better reported on SmaugMuds where SmaugFUSS is maintained.

But you can disable IMC by making a change to the Makefile if you wish, should fix the error.
06 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 4th comment:
disabling IMC did the trick. thanks again. :)
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
Odd. I just pulled the copy off the SmaugMuds site and didn't get that..
06 Feb, 2010, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
You may not be set to warn/error on shadowed variables. Removing the dec on line 7496 would do the trick if you wish to keep IMC.
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 7th comment:
If it trips on the downloaded copy it trips on mine. :P It's the same makefile.
06 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 8th comment:
Kline said:
You may not be set to warn/error on shadowed variables. Removing the dec on line 7496 would do the trick if you wish to keep IMC.

that did do the trick–cheers. :)
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 9th comment:
Can you post that whole section for me? I'd like to try and figure out how exactly you ended up with a shadowed declaration when the copy in the repository at SmaugMuds.org has this issue.

Which also reminds me, I need to update the copies in MudBytes' Repository..
0.0/9