01 Apr, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
In nanvaent, a good example of socials that were turned into an ability were 'pant and 'slobber'.

As a wolf, pant would restore GP and slobber HP, or the other way round (I forget).

Also 'tuck' was another, which would wimpy you out the fight.
01 Apr, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 22nd comment:
shasarak said:
A good question to ask about a socials system: if a player tips holy water on himself and then hugs a vampire, does the vampire take damage? Obviously your game may not contain vampires, but the point is whether the game models authentic physical consequences of social actions.

A more common scenario would be hugging someone while on fire, or wearing spiked armour, or while surrounded by a fireshield/shockshield spell.

But yes, this basically comes back to the question I asked in post #5 about intrusive socials. Personally I avoid them, but that does limit the number of options available.
01 Apr, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 23rd comment:
Ah I think I misunderstood Shas' example in that case.. That's an interesting concept.

I thought he was talking entirely in soul terms.
01 Apr, 2010, shasarak wrote in the 24th comment:
flumpy said:
Ah I think I misunderstood Shas' example in that case.. That's an interesting concept.

I thought he was talking entirely in soul terms.

Yeah, I was saying that if the action involved in a "social" would be expected to have physical consequences, do you model those consequences? I chose holy water and vampires, as a non-vampire dousing himself with holy water would presumably be unlikely to sustain damage, but the vampire coming into contact with his holy-water-soaked clothes perhaps might experience painful burning. But one can imagine diseases being transmitted via socials such as kissing, or shaking hands, or coughing on people; or someone with rabies might transmit it by drooling on a wound; or, as KaVir says, if you're wearing spiked armour then hugging someone might damage them.

Obviously this makes life substantially more complicated. You not only have to model the effects of the social, you also have to give people the ability to try to avoid the effect: if a fire elemental tries to hug you, then you need to be able to at least try to dodge. So being the target of a social becomes something one has to consent to, rather than merely passively experience.
01 Apr, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 25th comment:
Sounds like socials are turning into sneaky ways to initiate combat…
01 Apr, 2010, Runter wrote in the 26th comment:
David Haley said:
Sounds like socials are turning into sneaky ways to initiate combat…

Hugging is a classic backstab tactic after all.
01 Apr, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 27th comment:
… And (topically) does this mean a kiss on the cheek could lead to crucifixion?
Flumpy kisses you on the cheek!

You are dragged away..

You awake to find you have been crucified!

>
20.0/27