27 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I don't think anyone was trying to be discouraging to the newcommer. And no, there isn't anything wrong
with stock areas. However, IMO, purely stock code-bases with stock areas, should be discouraged. Since we are
on the topic of ROM, QuickMud specifically, I think this site's notation on QM says it best: However, for the sake of the mudding
community at large, don't just download this code, compile it, and advertise it on MUD websites as "a highly modified ROM codebase".
Spend some time developing it. The world doesn't need another cookie-cutter MUD.

Of course, this isn't saying anything about the OP. His idea is adding something fresh to the community. Our niche might not be as small if there was more diversity in the mix.
11 Aug, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 22nd comment:
After poking around for a little while, I had a few questions before I started any serious work.

For example, someone mentioned (I think?) somewhere that RaM was a more updated version of RoM. I hate to ask, but could anyone briefly outline the major advancements, or link me to the appropriate page? I'd rather promote something that's being actively maintained.

And would it be best to simply stop once I've renamed the skills, spells and races, when it comes to tinkering with the source files?
11 Aug, 2010, Runter wrote in the 23rd comment:
Its just cleaned up source and bug fixes. No real additions.
11 Aug, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 24th comment:
Thanks. I'll look into that.

I've started on Midgard, and here's the new "By the Temple Altar". The first room!

By the Central Server Stack [Room 3054]
A shining pillar rises up from the deck at the center of this small room,
housing a stack of servers behind its mirrored glass. Hidden projectors map
out the celestial bodies of the known universe in the air with the flat
curving screen of the walls and and ceiling affording an artificial depth.
Just beside the server case, on the thin black durafoam covered floor, rests
an anti-gravitational tube, pointed through a hole in the ceiling of the
chamber. Twin statues are built into the arch of the southern doorway,
through which the rest of the ship lies.

[Exits: south up]
A pit for surplus equipment is set into the floor.
The Altar AI is being projected into the room.

Caught a typo :3
07 Dec, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 25th comment:
If anyone's interested, work has been progressing. A bit slowly, but I'm very happy with what I've managed so far.

I added in a new wearslot, accessory, for those miscellaneous objects. I wasn't sure I wanted to make any code changes to the mud, but I'm seeing now that I need to in order to alter the theme. Like, tonight I made a change to the message you see when wearing a light. I don't have or want torches in my retheme, so "lighting" a flashlight doesn't make sense. As I went about adding in the wear slot, I started learning more about how ROM works and realize that a lot of the things I wanted to do will be simple, with no real expertise needed. I want to change certain weapon types to modern and futuristic types, change the spell names and messages, among other things. This clears one of my worries :3

K, I'm done. When I finish the Midgaard, I'll slap it up on a different port by itself for the curious.
07 Dec, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 26th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
And would it be best to simply stop once I've renamed the skills, spells and races, when it comes to tinkering with the source files?

Nope. That's how I started and it led me deeper down the rabbit hole as time went. The more skills I renamed, messages I altered, etc…. the more I learned about the codebase itself. It wasn't long before I was adding some pretty major advancements to my base, good luck I'll definately check it out when you get something up.
07 Dec, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 27th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
After poking around for a little while, I had a few questions before I started any serious work.

For example, someone mentioned (I think?) somewhere that RaM was a more updated version of RoM. I hate to ask, but could anyone briefly outline the major advancements, or link me to the appropriate page? I'd rather promote something that's being actively maintained.

Runter said:
Its just cleaned up source and bug fixes. No real additions.

RaM ice is what Runter said. RaM fire is a C++ version and it got a few nifty additions, the coolest being a well done language setup.

As for making changes to the codebase, I would just document the changes to the code. Just in case someone who wants to adopt your re-theme dislikes one of the changes. That way they could easily change it back.
08 Dec, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 28th comment:
If possible, use version control to commit your changes separately. That will make it much easier to identify specific changes than having to hunt and peck through error-prone manual notes on what changed.
09 Dec, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 29th comment:
Hmm… would it work if I were to take a backup for each major batch of changes, assign a version id and rar it with a list of changes in an included .txt?

Or is there a better way?

And is there an easy way to make a backup? I've been using putty/edit plus 2 so far.
09 Dec, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 30th comment:
Try checking out CVS (concurrent versioning system)… there are other things like this out there, but I'm not familiar with them… (I know they've been talked about in some threads a few months back). If you don't want to do it like that… you could always just set up a backup script and run it each time you have a new 'version' to pack up.
09 Dec, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 31st comment:
The thing is that as soon as you start including changes manually, you get into the same old error-prone process of "go to line bla and change foo to bar". It would be much better if you could generate those change-lists automatically. The format of the end result might not be so different, but you'd be more confident that the list of changes was indeed completely accurate.
15 Jan, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 32nd comment:
If I were to go through the code and change sword to, say, shotgun… would this mean I would need to go through the areas and change all sword to shotgun… or would it be easier to keep sword as "sword" but change all its visuals to "shotgun"… humm… Or is there a more attractive way to do it that I'm not thinking of? I don't think I'd want to keep sword and make an entirely new set of weapon skills and all that jazz.
15 Jan, 2011, Asylumius wrote in the 33rd comment:
IIRC, in ROM, the swords would become shotguns because it stores a number, not a name (string) to lookup via weapon_lookup() or something.

That said, you may not want EVERY sword to BE a shotgun.

You'd probably want some kind of conversion/translation function that runs on bootup and maps the old to the new. This is especially easy if you have OLC.
15 Jan, 2011, Runter wrote in the 34th comment:
I DO want every sword to BE a shotgun.
16 Jan, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 35th comment:
Runter said:
I DO want every sword to BE a shotgun.

Would you accept the compromise of using a gun and a sword at the same time? :P
16 Jan, 2011, Runter wrote in the 36th comment:
Gunblade
27 Mar, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 37th comment:
============S-P-A-C-E===R-O-M============
[ 1 Human War] Jake the Swordpupil
[60 Human IMP] Thedude Abides
[ 1 Human War] Lazare the Swordpupil

Players found: 3

Struck me as hilarious. Or maybe it's 5:30 am. Whatever. Fix it in the m… afternoon.
28 Mar, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 38th comment:
Tyche said:
Rarva.Riendf said:
…be sure about reading the limitation of ROM in the first place.

Where can I read "The limitation of ROM"?

Reading about it in the dedicated forum. I made enough thread when I realised how messy it was ;p
I heard about Ram a long afterwards I picked my old mud code, but basically I don't even know if Ram can handle area effect skill/spell, makes so people dont have 2 rounds of attack the first one in case they autoassist and so on.
28 Mar, 2011, jurdendurden wrote in the 39th comment:
What's the addy? I'd like to check this out…
28 Mar, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 40th comment:
Until at least Midgaard is finished, I won't be open to the public. Thanks for the interest, though.
20.0/40