08 Jul, 2010, Bojack wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I just recently bought a vps using CentOS on it which centos comes with gcc 4.1.2. When I do a make I get the weird a letters:

dragon.c: In function fread_dragon:
dragon.c:615: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
dragon.c: In function dedit_show:

I was searching around on the internet but nothing was specificly for this problem. Has anyone encountered this and knows how to fix it? Also if I jump straight to 4.5.0, will that mess anything up?
08 Jul, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
whats line 615

EDIT: MAN I CANT EVEN USE MY OWN FORUM PROPERLY.
08 Jul, 2010, Bojack wrote in the 3rd comment:
Oh no dont worry about the actual lines, its the weird "a" character that its spitting out. Doesnt matter what the error is, if it has to point to an argument, itll give me those weird A symbols. I just want to fix the stupid symbols, I cant properly read what line its talking about.
08 Jul, 2010, Koron wrote in the 4th comment:
Uh, just for the sake of argument, let's pretend that the line being reported by the compiler isn't totally erroneous. It might have something fun to talk about, even if it's not giving you those evil symbols. :wink:
08 Jul, 2010, Kaz wrote in the 5th comment:
My guess is that the output from GCC has gone unicode and they're "smart quotes." Meanwhile, your terminal is still running ASCII, so gives you the character it thinks it is.
08 Jul, 2010, Bojack wrote in the 6th comment:
So how would I go about fixing this? Im not using g++ to compile under either.
08 Jul, 2010, Kaz wrote in the 7th comment:
Bojack said:
So how would I go about fixing this? Im not using g++ to compile under either.

Umm…

make | tr \"

:)
08 Jul, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 8th comment:
Quoting: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-il@cs....

What it has to do with - is your terminal being in non-UTF-8 mode. To
start xterm in UTF-8 mode, run "xterm -u8". Most terminals can also be
toggled in runtime into UTF-8 mode by running the following (in bash):

echo $'\033%G'
08 Jul, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 9th comment:
09 Jul, 2010, Bojack wrote in the 10th comment:
Thanks guys, I figured it out. I didnt have xterm so I couldnt do it that way but because of zeno's link I figured out a way to do it by tracking down to where the actual file to edit would be. That was etc/sysconfig/i18n file. Once I changed that, no more symbols. Those symbols were even showing up in man pages.
09 Jul, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 11th comment:
The simplest fix for that is to add this to your .bashrc:

export LANG=C

I hate the fact that installing an OS for the English language still forces foreign character filth upon my nice pure 7-bit ASCII terminal.
09 Jul, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 12th comment:
wow, when I asked the same question a year ago I didn't get any responses as to how to fix it. Just that it's an error caused by my upgrading to a new version of gcc. I learned how to ignore it eventually, but these responses would have been nice.
0.0/12