24 Mar, 2011, bozimmerman wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello all,

Perusing the I3 Docs, it does not appear that I3 supports a ping command, specifically one I can send to the router. Due to the hokey way Java sockets work, one can be disconnected for hours and not know it. I would like to be able to ping the router, say, every 30 minutes… even if it's just to get an un_imp error response back. Anyone see a problem with this? And are there any plans in the works to support a ping command? Is there a more kosher way to do this that I just missed when perusing the I3 specs?

Thanks for any responses,
- Bo Zimmerman
24 Mar, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Dead Souls uses a non-standard "ping-req" and "ping-reply", the format is the usual i3 packet array.

I think DS is the only lib that honors this though. I've been meaning to ask Aidil about making it official
and extending the protocol in some predictable way, but he's busy in RL lately and it can wait.

In the meantime, you can do what I used to do, which is send an auth-mud-req to yourself. Even if you send
it to someone else, everyone should honor this, and it achieves the intended result, albeit slightly more noisily.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
25 Mar, 2011, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
I started experiencing similar problems with IMC2 depending on where I hosted a game. I settled on polling for a new mudlist with the keepalive routines provided in the Diku/Merc IMC2 client.
0.0/3