03 Sep, 2017, wifidi wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Mudders,

Is a "doomsday" spell that crashes a MUD using code that actually crashes the MUD, legitimate? I'm interested in knowing why I should only use the provided shutdown function or a modified version of it, or what programmers who know MUDs have to say.

I realize a safe shutdown indistinguishable from an actual crash is probably smarter. I just wonder if there is any reason to use or benefit to using an actual crash, even if psychological, for a doomsday spell or effect, e.g. cast 'doomsday' or "don't enter the Temple there or an apocalypse with be brought upon the land".
03 Sep, 2017, Rhien wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you collect core files for inspection later then it saves you the administrative overhead of weeding out what's a real crash vs. this. I would safe shut it down (although I wouldn't even do that). I would probably disconnect all the descriptors instead (but, I still wouldn't do that, because it's super annoying to a player).

That's just my opinion. You can find lots of cataclysmic things to do otherwise though on a global scale. Doomsday, the world goes dark, saves to crap, day becomes night and night comes something darker than night. Cats hug dogs and dogs do something not friendly. Arch angels snatch villagers off the street and etc.etc.
03 Sep, 2017, wifidi wrote in the 3rd comment:
Great ideas. I guess there's no substitute for knowing the code and being creative!
03 Sep, 2017, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 4th comment:
I do not even start to grasp the idea of why you would crash the mud voluntary….except for ONE reason:
Test that permissions to create a core dump in case there is a real crash are still there when you are not the admin of the server…..

If someone has another idea about on, I would like to see it :)
04 Sep, 2017, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
BatMUD, and indeed many LPMUDs, used to have an NPC called "Armageddon the Game Crasher", who would do a proper reboot of the game, shouting out the impending doomsday messages beforehand.

If you were so inclined, you could make that NPC attackable, so if enough players *REALLY* wanted to stop the game's reboot, they could kill him and stave it off until he respawned.

It's pretty dumb to make it actually crash, as that can corrupt player files or other data that might be in the process of being written… but making it a controlled reboot is potentially cromulent if your game has such things in whatever story/lore/etc you use. :)
12 Sep, 2017, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
The idea of some sort of timed event until world wide destruction (even if its killing everything) is interesting.
19 Sep, 2017, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 7th comment:
>The idea of some sort of timed event until world wide destruction (even if its killing everything) is interesting.

Funny to kill everything and have corpses everywhere.
I made a command like that, but for the hell of it I cannot kill my whole world (around 6500 mobiles) in less than 6-9 seconds or so…quite laggy. If anyone does it instantly tell me, probably something I could do without I forgot about. Never really looked into it as it is more a test command than anything.
(I am creating the corpses and do all the standard stuff like a normal death)
0.0/7