22 Nov, 2011, Runter wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
Now I'm wishing I had seen this signature…it must have been epic.
22 Nov, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 62nd comment:
Darien said:
Ya know, I feel the same way about your posts 99% of the time…..

At least he does not directly insult people like you do…
22 Nov, 2011, Omega wrote in the 63rd comment:
Runter said:
Now I'm wishing I had seen this signature…it must have been epic.

It was Epic, wasn't meant to offend, was just something funny. But apparently people around here have a lack of sense of humour.

Rarva.Riendf said:
Darien said:
Ya know, I feel the same way about your posts 99% of the time…..

At least he does not directly insult people like you do…

Its a new thing I am trying out. Seems to fit with everything else on this forum.

With that said, I wasn't intending on hijacking this thread, this is supposed to be about death, and not the death of my extremely cool sig block. So back on your heads and talk about in game death and your opinions already. I think my statement on my up-coming system is neato. But whats everyone's take on death?
22 Nov, 2011, Runter wrote in the 64th comment:
Link to it or it didn't happen
22 Nov, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 65th comment:
Runter said:
This is thread creep, but there's nothing worse to me than seeing ambiguous rules on games that add up to "play unto others" rules. When I see these I typically immediately leave. It's a symptom of a biased administrative model.

Definitely, rules should be in game, so everyone is equal. As soon as you start wanting 'people to play nice' when they fucking want to kill each other in the first place, it is a recipe for disaster. There is no niceness about killing each other…So have mechanism that makes so the penalties are not too bad when dying..of makes so it is not that easy to kill, or give the killer some drawbacks, but all that without immortal intervention. Or there will be whine grief and so on very fast, instead of just the usual one.

Darien's signature was not that funny as it is quite unoriginal and seen a lot anyway (post upside me sucks, post under me sucks et)
what was REALLY annoying was the size of the animated gif.
22 Nov, 2011, Omega wrote in the 66th comment:
Runter said:
Link to it or it didn't happen

Thats what my block was.
22 Nov, 2011, Hades_Kane wrote in the 67th comment:
On ganging up? I think it's fair game. We have things in place, though, where that can be neutralized to a degree. Throw some recall options at a few of them, or flee, setting a trap in each room you pass through, effectively dividing the people who are after you, etc.

We are level based, but once you opt into PK, any level may fight any level. This can cause some problems, must since "a valid roleplay reason" is one of our PK rules, we generally don't run into any problems with this. I don't normally like legislating behavior, but this is what we have chosen to do. If this ends up becoming an issue, we'll probably put in a PK range and eliminate the rule.
22 Nov, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 68th comment:
Deimos said:
@Crat: I also enjoyed BioShock's system. I think it would do well in a MUD, provided the upper end game areas and loot was significantly time consuming to get to (enough to dissuade kamikaze playing, anyway).

Out of curiosity I tried a different approach to death in BioShock, to see how that altered my appreciation of the game. Rather than regenerate at Vita-Chambers, whenever I died I would restore from my last save point. This has a pretty dramatic effect on play, it turns out…more than I anticipated. Before, you could just grind down Rosies and Bouncers over and over, with their defeat a matter of time even with reckless charges. When the damage you do does not persist after your death, you now have to actually be kinda good at the game to get past the Big Daddies. It's interesting that the Vita-Chamber approach allows casual gamers to experience fun content without sacrificing their time to honing game-specific skills, while allowing save games gives hardcore gamers the option of roughing it. I like choice.

Hades_Kane said:
On ganging up? I think it's fair game.

I'd say that if ganging up is a "problem", it's a wonderful problem to have. It provides a delightful opportunity for creative approaches to play that people are interested in. For example, off the top of my head I can think of a few defenses you could sell, like holobots to confuse people into fighting the wrong guy (or morph that into Magic Twin spells if appropriate), or a portable kit that transforms into a pkilling golem for 10 seconds if you have more than one player aggressor, or karma/luck deductions for players who pkill in gangs, or…heck, there's loads of ways to even the field and dissuade griefing, and some of them are gold sinks to boot!

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
22 Nov, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 69th comment:
Darien,

A big flashy thing that takes up excessive room for no reason and is distracting and is intentionally rude in the words it uses goes a little far.

Your pal,

-Crat

PS 69 get lol
60.0/69