07 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was just curious as to the opinions of those who know the diku license on a matter. If I had a friend who had a code that was based on the diku code, and I wanted to use said code, would it be legal for me to offer my friend a hundred bucks for the use of his code? Would that go against the "making a profit" part of the license?
07 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
I think it breaks the license. It seems this would be a clear case of selling a modified version of dikumud. Which would be just as much of a violation as selling an unmodified version to someone.
07 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
okay, that's what I was thinking as well. Just wanted to be sure. I've had a change of mind about which direction I want to go with my new idea anyway. Thanks.
07 Jun, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 4th comment:
'If I had a friend who had a code that was based on the diku code, and I wanted to use said code, would it be legal for me to offer my friend a hundred bucks for the use of his code? '
What would be 'illegal' is if he won't give you the code except for money.
He is your friend, you are allowed to give him money for his anniversary, for his christmas, or for whatever reason you want to.
07 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
I used the term friend a bit loosely there. Acquaintance is more like it.
07 Jun, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 6th comment:
Igabod said:
I used the term friend a bit loosely there. Acquaintance is more like it.

Would be the same. Either he give you the code without compensation in mind and then you can give him whatever you want (or nothing) because it is then completely unrelated to Diku, or it is illegal.
07 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
yeah, that kind of sneaky underhanded evasion of license violation is disgusting to me. I intend on following the diku license not only to the letter, but also to the intent behind it. And you would be better off not preaching this kind of activity on a forum full of developers who wouldn't want their licenses violated in such a way.
07 Jun, 2011, Vigud wrote in the 8th comment:
Your friend can re-license their own work, though.
07 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
right, but the diku license still applies. just because you re-license does not invalidate the previous license.
07 Jun, 2011, Vigud wrote in the 10th comment:
Provided that we're still talking about the work done by your friend, the Diku license only applies to the old distribution of their code (if it has been distributed), but it doesn't apply to the new distribution.
07 Jun, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 11th comment:
Vigud said:
Provided that we're still talking about the work done by your friend, the Diku license only applies to the old distribution of their code (if it has been distributed), but it doesn't apply to the new distribution.

Yes, it does. The copyright in a derivative work does not extend to any preexisting material, so if you're distributing a Diku-derived codebase you must follow the Diku licence. You can add your own additional licence/s if you wish, but you still have to follow those of the other copyright holders.

You could sell area files though, or modules of custom code that aren't derived from Diku.
07 Jun, 2011, Vigud wrote in the 12th comment:
We're not talking about the same thing. So no, it doesn't.
07 Jun, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 13th comment:
Vigud said:
We're not talking about the same thing. So no, it doesn't.

Well then I've no idea what you're talking about. But the answer to the actual question posed in this thread - the one everyone else is talking about - is very clear.

Igabod said:
If I had a friend who had a code that was based on the diku code, and I wanted to use said code, would it be legal for me to offer my friend a hundred bucks for the use of his code? Would that go against the "making a profit" part of the license?

Selling a Diku-derived codebase for $100 is clearly against the Diku licence. And the codebase cannot be relicenced without explicit permission from the Diku team.
07 Jun, 2011, oenone wrote in the 14th comment:
If it's your code, you can distribute it under a different license or even sell it.
07 Jun, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 15th comment:
oenone said:
If it's your code, you can distribute it under a different license or even sell it.

Not if the codebase is a Diku derivative.
07 Jun, 2011, Vigud wrote in the 16th comment:
Why not? I own the code.
07 Jun, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 17th comment:
Vigud said:
Why not? I own the code.

To own a copy is not to own the copyright, and you cannot claim copyright to another's ....

The copyright in a derivative work cover...
07 Jun, 2011, Vigud wrote in the 18th comment:
It doesn't answer my question. And my question was: why my code isn't my code anymore when it's been part of a Diku derivative.
07 Jun, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 19th comment:
Vigud said:
It doesn't answer my question.

You have to ask questions before I can answer them.

Vigud said:
And my question was: why my code isn't my code anymore when it's been part of a Diku derivative.

It is your code, you own the copyright to your derivative work in the same way as the authors of fan fiction, and nobody (not even the Diku team) can use it without your permission.

Furthermore, as I explained in my original post, "You could sell … modules of custom code that aren't derived from Diku". However in this thread we are explicitly talking about "code that was based on the diku code".

If you wish to learn more about derivative works, I already posted a link in my previous post.
07 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 20th comment:
oenone you may as well just stop trying to argue with Kavir about this subject. He is highly knowledgeable about this particular issue and I would take his word over yours any day.
0.0/96