21 Nov, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
hey guys, this probably is something of a longshot question but I don't really know even the right search terms to figure this out, so hopefully someone will give me a clue.

I'm running a remote Debian server and using tmux as a Screen alternative, connecting with Putty on Windows. Whenever I open a port on the server side (for example, starting a web server), Putty immediately closes (with a 'Network error: socket is not connected').

If I start the web server in the tmux session, the process lives on OK and I can reconnect, attach, and keep working.

If I start the web server just from the command line, Putty dies as usual and as expected the web server dies too.

I'm pretty sure this happens when I open any kind of port. For example, if I start emacs on the server from the command line, Putty dies with the same error (I think because emacs uses a client/server setup).

Any ideas here?

edit: As usual. asking the question helps me find the answer myself…this seems to be a problem with X11 forwarding; turning this option off solves the issue for now. Another alternative might be to run Xming.
0.0/1