08 Jul, 2012, rendo wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've noticed this for awhile now, and it's likely something that affects very few people or maybe just me. I use a DNS redirect so people can connect to my home server to play my MUD. Most people connect just fine, however there are a few players that whenever they connect, the entire MUD hangs for a few seconds before everything resumes. It's mostly an annoyance and I don't know exactly how to pinpoint what it is. Too many connections on the router? Poor port forwading? Something within the code itself? I'm not sure what information any of you would need, so I'll wait for a response or maybe someone already knows what the issue is. Thanks!
09 Jul, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 2nd comment:
Sound like slow DNS name resolution usually caused by gethostbyaddr().
Turn it off. IIRC, Smaug has a configuration parameter to not do name resolution.
09 Jul, 2012, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
Tyche nailed it, it's DNS name resolution locking you up. If you don't want to disable it you can always thread it out pretty trivially, I want to say SocketMUD does this and is a small enough base you could use it as a good example to work from.
09 Jul, 2012, rendo wrote in the 4th comment:
Noresolve didn't seem to work, so I just disabled that portion of the code and it seems to be fine now. Appreciate the assistance guys!
0.0/4