02 Aug, 2012, roh-bane wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Runter said:
There's C++ string implementations out there that don't suck. The more an application uses strings, the more invested they should be in using a good string implementation. The milage will be high for a text game.

What implementations have you run accross that you do like/don't think suck?
02 Aug, 2012, Runter wrote in the 22nd comment:
Votes: 0
roh-bane said:
Runter said:
There's C++ string implementations out there that don't suck. The more an application uses strings, the more invested they should be in using a good string implementation. The milage will be high for a text game.

What implementations have you run accross that you do like/don't think suck?

You might check out some comparisons like this. This is performance stuff, which is going to be important to a lot of people.

http://bstring.sourceforge.net/features....

My problems with std::string actually roots from the design of the class, not really the performance. You might look at David Haley's implementation. I seem to recall that being pretty nice. I haven't worked in C++ for a while, but when I did (12 years ago) I had written my own string implementation that fit my needs on my game better than std::string and didn't have such a fat interface. Overall my position is don't assume that there's no alternatives out there to std::string. There's quite a few.
20.0/22