07 Feb, 2013, thebigirish wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey there, so I recently started learning C++, with a friend. He bought some mud hosting services, we got winscp, a copy of circlemud and ready to go. So… how do I get my mud up? heh. I have circle, smaug, or socketmud. We basically want a shell, I think? Any thoughts, help, suggestions?
07 Feb, 2013, Zusuk wrote in the 2nd comment:
Hey TheBigIrish:

I can give you the default instructions for most mud-hosting service, assuming its in Unix.
1) Get a shell client, like putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtat...)
2) You should have received login info from your hosting service for ssh. So login.
3) One of two choices, if you are using the most recent version of CircleMUD (which is tbaMUD) you can actually just take the most recent version from the repository. This assumes your server has SVN (which so far I have been 2/2 on servers) :P
a) Get latest revision from Repo, type this on your commandline from putty: svn checkout http://tbamud.com/svn/circlemud tbamud
b) Or if you have a copy of CircleMUD that is different, just unzip/untar it on your desktop and upload it to a directory using winscp (there is more efficient ways of doing this, BUT this is the easiest way I can think of)
4) Now you have your codebase ready to configure, with putty, from your commandline type:
cd <tbamud> or <directory name of mud>
./configure &
5) Now your codebase is configured to your server, time to make
cd <tbamud/src/> (you want your src, source directory)
make all
6) Now your mud is compiled and ready to rock, time to run it, go back to your tbamud (or whatever) directory, then you have to modify the autorun script slightly unless you already have port 4000 available to you. You should have received what ports you have access to via the mud hosting service
pico autorun
then find the line with:
# The port on which to run the MUD
PORT=4000
change the port value to whatever port you have access to
7) Start your autorun script!
./autorun &

I think that's about it :) There is tons of documentation on how to get circle/tba running on different machines available at tbamud.com Also there is an active circle development community there (tba, circle, CWG, d20.. you name it)
07 Feb, 2013, thebigirish wrote in the 3rd comment:
I just grabbed the latest tba download, and I've got it uploaded into winscp, but the putty for my winscp is… uhh messed up. Would telnet do the same thing…?
07 Feb, 2013, thebigirish wrote in the 4th comment:
I'm actually having another problem now too. I got putty, but I cant log in? When I use winscp I log in with enigma.dune.net port 22…. same port, host, name, and pass wont work though for putty?
07 Feb, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 5th comment:
Check your firewall ?
07 Feb, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 6th comment:
* If you're having issues setting up the server, you may be able to resolve them a lot faster by googling for UNIX forum help, winscp help, etc. Typing in the exact error message usually produces very good search results.

* AFAIK, tbaMUD is still 100% C. You mentioned you're learning C++ is why I'm pointing this out.
07 Feb, 2013, Maleficusu wrote in the 7th comment:
I'm working with the Irish. Now the issue has seemly compounded itself. Before he started touching stuff this morning I had followed the commands up to autorun and was able to change the port to our current port. The issue was i was unable to actually save it or to exit the autorun script although it gave me the command ^x to exit and ive tried various methods. I would assume after doing that successfully, we will be able to run the mud right? And assume we known nothing…because now I have to figure out what he did to get back to step one lol.
08 Feb, 2013, Maleficusu wrote in the 8th comment:
Decided to go with smaug, got that up and running and it seems decent enough…just not liking certain commands but they can be worked around
0.0/8