01 Mar, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Sure, I get the PK aspect. But I don't see where griefing should be a rewarding gameplay mechanic for anyone over the age of 9.

If you want to kill me, have the balls to attack me… don't try to get me killed, or annoy me. If you want to play those kind of tactics, you want to be in a pure PvP environment. Guild Wars 2 has one… it's called "world vs. world", and there you can employ all the dirty tricks of denying people material shipments… but pure PvP MUDs are the exception, not the rule.

Even when I play PvP, I don't want to be griefed. That's just childish.
01 Mar, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 22nd comment:
quixadhal said:
Sure, I get the PK aspect. But I don't see where griefing should be a rewarding gameplay mechanic for anyone over the age of 9.

Think clan, thikn wars etc.

If you want to kill me, have the balls to attack me… don't try to get me killed,

Using surroundings (traps swamps, aggro mobs) is a good part of strategy in pk. Frontal attack hardly works when you are not a pure fighter class.

it's called "world vs. world", and there you can employ all the dirty tricks of denying people material shipments… but pure PvP MUDs are the exception, not the rule.
Even when I play PvP, I don't want to be griefed. That's just childish.

I have one world. and only one, and either you are pk or npk.
Griefed is addressed by another mean on my game anyway. Pk means no rules at all exept the hard coded one, you get a huge interest to be pk (meaning a lot less need to address grinding for more pooooower. (ie : levels and stock eq becomes quite secondary)
01 Mar, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 23rd comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
I have one world. and only one, and either you are pk or npk.

Guild Wars 2 has a totally seperate map for PvP. You can level there from 1 to 80 if you like. You can also choose to never go there if you hate PvP. It nicely seperates the people who like PvP from those who cry about it.

Rarva.Riendf said:
Pk means no rules at all exept the hard coded one

Well, to each their own… but I see no thrill in swooping in to kill steal, or ninja'ing an ore node while somebody else fights the mobs that were near it. That's just the kind of schoolyard bullying you have in 3rd grade.

In any case, the mechanics on the PvE maps are there for the majority of players who prefer to NOT have their time wasted by griefers and bots. :)
01 Mar, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 24th comment:
Funny that you don't like no rules in PK when you say 'dont coddle to people or you only get stupid people' :)
Jsut saying heh.
01 Mar, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 25th comment:
Coddling isn't the same as chaos. It's actually much harder to work within a structured system than to just run around griefing people, which is why so many kids enjoy the griefing… for the momentary thrill of "power".
01 Mar, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 26th comment:
So to summarise:

Any muds that are more restrictive than yours are coddling to stupid players.

Any muds that are less restrictive than yours are promoting childish griefers.

On the subject of shared quests, I remember playing some MMO that worked that way. I don't remember much about the game itself, other than rushing around trying to find where my friends had gone, while being inundated with messages about starting and completing various quests that I knew nothing about.
02 Mar, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 27th comment:
Yes, KaVir.
You are so smart and wise, you know everything and nobody else here should even speak.

I challenge you to find players (not admins) who enjoy being griefed and think it's a good game mechanic. Note that I don't mean killed.. I mean people who are trying to level a character and find some a**hat following them, stealing their kills, harvesting stuff that the leveling player is clearing to harvest, repeatedly killing and spawn camping them.

Get them to post on here, describing how much they enjoy having their time wasted, and how much they enjoyed being on the losing end of the one-sided fights.
02 Mar, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 28th comment:
I'm not the one claiming that everyone who doesn't do it my way is either coddling to stupid players or promoting childish griefers.

Players don't like being griefed, but every feature or rule you introduce to limit such activity will impact the gameplay of other players in a variety of ways.

In fact it reminds me a bit of this article: Ultima Online creators remember the good.... In particular:

"Players managed their own experience. We just gave them their own tools," Koster recalled, saying modern MMOs control players much more now, though granted "a huge percentage of the time" players made each other miserable.

"But when they pulled something off like the weddings, sporting events… funerals… the player governments that emerged… that's when it was really magic."

"That's kind of the thing we lost."

Every design decision has a price.
02 Mar, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 29th comment:
quixadhal said:
Coddling isn't the same as chaos. It's actually much harder to work within a structured system than to just run around griefing people, which is why so many kids enjoy the griefing… for the momentary thrill of "power".

As I said, the pk rules are hard coded. it just means, then that everything is known by the player, and immortals will not interfere in ANY ways.
(unless there is an actual bug)

But pk can group with npk for exploring and npk quest as an example.
20.0/29