The problem is my new OS is 64bit, and Mordor won't "make world" out of the box on 64bit. Rooms, and possibly players/objects/monsters will need to be removed, converted, and then re-imported.
Bit more work than I was hoping to do (as well as not having a 32bit system to work on to convert the base).
May as well ask; does anyone have a 64bit version of Mordor they'd be happy to share????
Probably have nothing to do for the datas. Would be surprising import would fail when it have more rooms than necessary. For the 32 part, install a virtual machine , as you can choose it is is 32/64 bit. Clean 32 bit code has very little modification needed to run fine in 64bit. (We are talking about muds.)
Really old codebases used to use binary data file formats, which will likely not work on a 64-bit platform unless you go through and carefully specify the structures to use the correct sizes for everything.
Dunno if that's the case here, but I know my own DikuMUD used to use binary files for all player data. Of course, I changed that years ago, but still…
As I recall, all stock versions of mordor store the db in a non portable binary format. The mud itself will compile with little issues on a 64bit system, but you'll have to either wipe the db or run a conversion program. Additionally, as it's pretty much just a binary dump of the structure in memory, you'll have troubles if you ever want to change or expand the structures.
I think the newer versions come with a binary <–> ascii converter, but I ended up writing my own and then migrating everything to xml based files.
There's an older version of our code, which is based on mordor, in the mudbytes repository that ships with the oceancrest db converted to xml: http://www.mudbytes.net/file-2722 if you're interested in that. It's a bit of a mix of c and c++, but if I recall most of the xml stuff is pretty plain c. There's newer code available on our git repository, but I haven't gotten around to updating the config files that we've distributed to work with the newer code.