25 Jun, 2007, bruski85 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello im looking for a General staff. THis staff need coders, Head Builder, Builders and a Enforcer. If intrested please stop by the mud and ask for azeque. the mud is evileyehosting.com 7000.

The mud theme is a fanasty bases so its up to the builders to do some kool areas that can build. The mud has tons of classes and some hybrids that are getting coded in.

Coders: Need to help my coder that i have right know, he cant code all by himself. He needs help kinda bad.

Head Builder: Pretty much build areas and looking over other builders areas to see if they are doing a great job. Needs to kno mprogs and stuff need to be experinced in that kinda of area.

Builders: Looking for people that know how to build and people are willing to learn how to build.

Enforcer: Need to make sure the players are following the game rules.
25 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 2nd comment:
Some advice.

If you want people to dedicate their time to a mud, give them a reason. Tell them why your mud is special and why its worth them, essentially, donating their time. Tell them what you intend to do with the mud, what your goals are, where you see the mud in 1 year, 2 year, ect. The start, of course, is a more specific theme ;)
25 Jun, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
I'd also suggest getting off evileye hosting, they're worse off then my host at Genesismuds. >.>
25 Jun, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Is Genesismuds bad? I haven't heard anything bad about them.
26 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 5th comment:
Nothing is wrong with Genesismuds.

Be very weary of free hosts. I lost 3k of well done rooms to a free host recently…
26 Jun, 2007, Omega wrote in the 6th comment:
with free hosts comes mud-owner responsiblity to back their shit up often. Hell, you should do that anyways.

I have an automated backup snippet released that could help anyone do that if the free-host has mutt installed on it. IF not, you could simply compile mutt yourself and include its functions as in-game mud-lib, or, you could simply take the time todo daily backups, and most likely not worry about the sillyness of loss on a free-server.

Note, I spent the first 8 years of my running a mud on a free mud-server before I finaly upgraded out of it to samson's server. Which btw, is much better then those free servers anyday.

Allot of free-servers, their owners DO steal your code, as they've setup their free-server to build their own mud, and they wait for someone silly enough to come along and use their server to snag the code from that they like. Thats been one of the biggest issues I've seen with free-servers over the years. But hey, if its on their server, they have the rights to it. So why not right.

Anyways, this message turned from a short rant into a larger one. Peace!
26 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
The cost of the host is not the issue. The integrity and professionalism of the administrators is. There are paid hosts out there ( doubt I need to mention names ) who are infinitely more dishonest.

If the person running the place is a code thief, they'll be just as likely to steal it from you if you pay them.
There are plenty of paid hosts who don't offer backups, and you should be maintaining one of your own regardless. Catastrophe can happen.
Some paid hosts pay no attention to modern tools or to system security. There are free hosts who are fanatical about both.

Best advice: Do your research and make an informed decision.
26 Jun, 2007, Omega wrote in the 8th comment:
Agree'd, and if push comes to shove, Arthmoor Services are always looking for new customers (winks at samson)
26 Jun, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 9th comment:
I wouldn't go so far as to say there's nothing wrong with Genesismuds. The servers are fine, it's the people behind them that truely suck. I'm still waiting on several things that I requested November of last year. Although, there are a few major problems with the servers as well, mainly that the default compiled is gcc 2.something, and that they advertise having gcc4, but in fact it is not present, the highest they have available to customers is gcc3.

And I don't even want to go on about pricing.
26 Jun, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 10th comment:
Are you sure? They should have gcc4.
/usr/local/bin/gcc4.2

Pricing doesn't seem bad either, unless the CPU Usage is not enough. 250MB disk space for $10 seems average.
26 Jun, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 11th comment:
I had my VPS with 15gigs of space for $20/month or something similar, mabye $25
27 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 12th comment:
I've been helping someone who runs a little fun "beat the hell out of your friends" mud port on portent.genesismuds.com and they have gcc 4. Can't speak for any other server. The Public_html is messed up ( don't have access to it, heh) but that's not that big a deal.

Yeah, VPSs are cheaper, and more difficult to work with. I currently have both. Spend $10 a month on 5 gig/256mb ram VPS for my coders/builders to have their own ports and $5 a month at arthmoor for my main port. I had genesismuds before moving to arthmoor, I was "satisfied" but the add-ons can pile up if you break any of the preset limits on the account. Also, I don't like having to pay a frickin year in advance for a good price.
04 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 13th comment:
They've got 4.2, just last week I helped someone set up tbaMUD on a GenesisMUDs server wjo couldn't figure out how to get it to properly compile with 2.x so I had them alias gcc to gcc 4.2
0.0/13