18 Jul, 2013, Amore wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi, I am an extreme newbie to all this, but I was looking to start my own mudd. However being new to this I do not want to pay the cost of upgrading my website to handle MUDDS…yet.

I was wondering if there was a way to set a mudd up Virtually on my system.

I am moderately familiar with Unix, extremely knowledgeable in Windows, I have a basic knowledge of C++, and have the following software which I believe I would need to get started if this is even possible to do.

O/S Windows 8
VMWare
OpenSuse

As I said I am very new to MUDD design but I really want to learn. Could someone please help me get started?

THANKS! :grinning:
18 Jul, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 2nd comment:
Sure. Use whatever VM solution you're comfortable with. I use Virtualbox from Sun/Oracle, but VMware works fine too. Setup whatever unix/linux system you like within a VM container. I usually use bridged networking and let my LAN's DHCP server assign a full address… that way it behaves just like a physical machine would.

Once that's done, it's up to you how to use it. You can use whatever GUI desktop you like, or just ssh into it. Get your MUD of choice setup (or start coding from scratch if you prefer), and whenever you get to a point that you want others to be able to log in (either to play, or to help you build), you'll need to forward a port from your main network connection point to your VM.

If you used bridged networking, and a static internal address, that's easy. If you used something else, you may have to fiddle with two stages, since you might need the LAN router to forward to your machine, and then have windows firewall forward to the extra internal network. YMMV.

Good luck!
18 Jul, 2013, Amore wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thank you! I didn't realize it would be that easy. :biggrin:
18 Jul, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 4th comment:
This is just curiosity, but why the extra 'D' in MUD?
19 Jul, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 5th comment:
Lyanic said:
This is just curiosity, but why the extra 'D' in MUD?

You see it from time to time, but it originates from a typo:

The "MUDD" title in the listing I have from 1979 was because someone else (Keith Rautenbach, an undergraduate in the year above Roy) went through commenting the code and put in two Ds, probably because he thought it was a reference to Dungeons & Dragons. It never was, and the file that refers to "MUDD" is itself called MUD.MAC (.MAC for the MACRO-10 assembly language).
19 Jul, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 6th comment:
Thanks, KaVir. You can always be counted on for informative MU* history lessons.
0.0/6