12 Jan, 2015, Ssolvarain wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Just want to bounce around a few area ideas with someone. As far as I know, I can do whatever I want theme-wise, within reason, while working on Subversive Visions.

Thinking the first unique, non-stock area I'd like to do would be something sci-fi.

A derelict space hulk?
An oldschool arcology?
Maybe something cyber punk…

Anyways, throw some ideas out there and I'd be happy to discuss them.
12 Jan, 2015, Hades_Kane wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm partial to Firefly, and anything from that series would be cool.

If you're familiar, a scenario similar to the episode of them coming upon an abandoned ship that's all creepy with signs of a slaughter, with them being stalked by the sole survivor of the Reaver attack would be interesting.

Kinda par for the course for many sci-fi horror scenarios, of course, but still a fun idea.
12 Jan, 2015, Ssolvarain wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hey, I like doing horror, too. I remember that episode of Firefly. Shame it got canceled. One similar idea is present in WH40K, where ships lost to the warp for untolds amount of time, called Space Hulks, suddenly reappear somewhere, and are generally loaded with a shit-ton of angry, demented things. My Lost Temple area is sort of along this line of thought. Whole thing's warped, and twisted.

I've found that unless people actually READ, though, horror is hard to pull off in a MUD. That said, I'm not opposed to trying again.

It might be cool to build a large, linear space where when you reach the end, it flips the room exit to lead you back through a monster-infested area.
12 Jan, 2015, Nathan wrote in the 4th comment:
In my mind scifi of the modern sort basically means high technology and any interesting exploration of tech seems to necessitate a lot of low level coding of systems unless you have soft coding. Some kind of space salvage or anti-alien defense or something could be fun if done right. Since it's a mud, if you don't want or have the ability to set up coded systems combat or exploration (or both). Making the text a bit more than just flavor would be good, but again no idea if it's doable.

Any particular kind or style of play in mind.
12 Jan, 2015, Ssolvarain wrote in the 5th comment:
On End of Time I can do almost anything I want with the soft code. Stock ROM is a different story altogether lol
13 Jan, 2015, roguewombat wrote in the 6th comment:
I'm turning Old Thalos into "Thalos Outpost", a post-attack version of the outpost overrun by the bugs in Starship Troopers. ;)
15 Jan, 2015, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
I've often considered building a fairly large city, themed according to the overall theme of the game, and then have various sub-levels, ruins, catacombs, etc. scattered around it in hidden places. A traditional room-based MUD gives you the advantage of being able to easily add a whole new area accessed by a single door, although keeping a coordinate system sane can be a challenge (if you bother).

Over the years, I've moved from wanting the ginormous open world, to thinking it's smarter to keep things centralized and ensure people always have a reason to revisit the newbie area. A multi-player game isn't much fun if you never see anyone else, and the best help system for newbies is having other players around to help them out. :)
15 Jan, 2015, arholly wrote in the 8th comment:
I've often thought the same thing has quixadhal. My part-time hobby mud is one where the players are essentially trapped in a city with a massive dungeon underneath it that sometimes pours out monsters into the city. Somewhere, deep in the "dungeon" is the gate they need to seal and yada yada. Basically, I went with making the mud a massive dungeon with a city on top of it and maybe a few minor cities in it (like a dwarf city or something).
15 Jan, 2015, SlySven wrote in the 9th comment:
Does that include an immense tower with limited access where the Coders/Builders/Creator get to relax and watch what everyone else is doing? :lol:
15 Jan, 2015, arholly wrote in the 10th comment:
Probably. Hadn't really gotten to that point yet.
15 Jan, 2015, Ssolvarain wrote in the 11th comment:
Winterhold is designed around a central town with several outlying areas…

But I'm not really worried about mechanics of areas. I'm worried about themes.
0.0/11