03 Nov, 2007, basil wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi
after installing CircleMud on hosted site, it ran without problem. I used the ./autorun & command using SSH.

When I close my SSH, the Mud terminates as well.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

Basil
03 Nov, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
try nohup ./autorun &
03 Nov, 2007, basil wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thanks, but that still didn't work.

Closed SSH and the Mud terminated.
03 Nov, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 4th comment:
Are you sure you're putting the & on the end?

The only other thing I can think of, is are you logging out or just closing the SSH Client?
I don't know why this would play a role, but it recently played a roll with my SMAUG mud on Arthmoor, if I didn't logout, my mud process would terminate, along with the startup script.
03 Nov, 2007, basil wrote in the 5th comment:
The logout fixed it.

thanks
04 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 6th comment:
How curious.. I wonder why closing your SSH session would terminate your nohup ./startup & process, is that some sort of script kiddie protection?
04 Nov, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 7th comment:
I don't know, all I know is that it was happening to me on Arthmoor for a few days, and then it stopped. So I dunno.
04 Nov, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
It could be something to do with the session closing incorrectly. I could see that it could be desirable, in some situations, to kill the child processes of a session that did not close cleanly. But I think that more often than not, if a process was nohup'ed, you really don't want it to go away. Oh well…
04 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
That sounds pretty much right on with what I was thinking too. I could see an advantage to it, in certain situations, but generally if it was nohup'd you'd think it'd no longer count as a child process of that session specifically so that it wouldn't close out with the session.
28 Nov, 2007, Jamdog wrote in the 10th comment:
Most SSH clients (I use PuTTY) will send an SIGTERM signal to the socket it is connected to, as you close the client.

The SIGTERM signal terminates all processes running for that user. I have never found an option in PuTTY to turn this off. I don't know about other SSH clients.

The only way around this is to use the 'logout' command in the shell, which just means you manually disconnect from the server, so you are not connected when you close the client, so it can't send a SIGTERM signal.

If you have SSH server-side access for coders, make sure they all know about this too, otherwise they could shut down your MUD without realising, and if no other admins are logged in, your MUD may be down for a while before someone can restart it.
29 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
Hmm, good to know, Jamdog, and that would certainly explain why it happens.
29 Nov, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Yes, good info. I always log out server-side (ctrl-d) before closing the client, so that might also be why I'd never seen something like this before.
29 Nov, 2007, Guest wrote in the 13th comment:
Ah, that would explain why I don't normally see this either since I always use the "exit" command to leave the shell when I'm done.
0.0/13