05 Dec, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I would assume it would only take slight modification to the FUSS code to make it load Saga files. Hell, you could even copy the loading function from Saga, call it load_dbsaga_area and before the conversion save all your areas in some obscure version, like 2000 or something, and then version the load, kinda like Samson did for the FUSS 1.8 KEY'd Area files. Something like
if( area_version >= 2000 )
load_dbsaga_area( tarea );

But I dunno.. shouldn't be any harder to upgrade from DBSaga to FUSS 1.8 than from Saga to 1.7
05 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 22nd comment:
Kayle said:
I would assume it would only take slight modification to the FUSS code to make it load Saga files. Hell, you could even copy the loading function from Saga, call it load_dbsaga_area

That would only work if everything that Saga has, the FUSS code has. Maybe the Saga stuff has flags that FUSS doesn't have. This is not an impossible task, but it's not trivial either and it's worth thinking about if you plan on working in FUSS eventually anyhow.

Kayle said:
But I dunno.. shouldn't be any harder to upgrade from DBSaga to FUSS 1.8 than from Saga to 1.7

Yes. But the point is that if you start with FUSS from the get-go, you will have an easier time upgrading than if you started with non-FUSS and plan on upgrading to FUSS.
05 Dec, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 23rd comment:
But he is starting from FUSS.

I plan on using smaugfuss 1.8 now thanks to your suggestions. I am going to do one huge verison upgrade in about a year or so with the verison I create using Smaugfuss 1.8.

He'll just need the ability to load in his areas from Saga. Which is what I just explained. And Yes, there will be differences in flags, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he's probably going to finish adding all the things he needs like flags and what not before he tries to load his areas in.
05 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 24th comment:
Well, we might be reading it differently, but…

(emphasis mine)
Tailsthefox said:
Dbsaga is just going to be the first verison on this mud. I actually plan on doing it with another codebase in a verison update. It's just I wanted to get something I can mess around with to help my skills. (if any) I plan on using smaugfuss 1.8 now thanks to your suggestions. I am going to do one huge verison upgrade in about a year or so with the verison I create using Smaugfuss 1.8.

The way I read that, Saga is going to be used for a prototype, and in about a year it will be upgraded to SmaugFUSS 1.8.

Besides, if he's starting with FUSS, why do you think he would need to read areas from Saga? :wink:
05 Dec, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 25th comment:
I read that same thing as, hes running Saga to develop the world, while in the background he's revising the FUSS code to have the features he needs it to have for his mud. And then in a year when he's finished with his changes to FUSS.

Tailsthefox said:
It's just I wanted to get something I can mess around with to help my skills. (if any)

It being the DBSaga code he's currently running.

As for reading in the areas from Saga, That's simple, because he's already built some, why build them all again?
05 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 26th comment:
:shrug: My point was that if it's in the plans to upgrade later, and not much work has been done yet, it would be better off to use FUSS now when serious work begins, than it would be to continue using the prototype Saga version. In other words, it would be a better idea to not use Saga to develop the world while in the background revising the FUSS code; it could be a better use of time to finish adapting FUSS and then begin work there.
05 Dec, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 27th comment:
It could be, but speaking from experience, it puts a rather large hold on things for any other Imms he might have. My own staff has been unable to work on the MW game world, while I re-write our base, and they're getting a bit ansy now since they haven't been able to work since late July, early August.
05 Dec, 2007, Remcon wrote in the 28th comment:
Granted I haven't dug into dbsaga to much, but as far as I can tell it shouldn't take to long to modify SmaugFUSS with a good bit of the changes he would probably want. As for it putting a hold on things that depends on the order its done in. Like if you want builders to be able to build then modify the parts they will be using in areas first that way they can then be working on the areas while you continue to work on the code. As far as I can tell dbsaga is just a supped up version of the old smaug code (mainly by tossing in snippets).
05 Dec, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 29th comment:
As are a lot of the releases out there.

But in my case, it was put on hold for so long because I had to finish the Weather System for FUSS, and all that before I could even shift my focus to my own base. :P
05 Dec, 2007, Remcon wrote in the 30th comment:
Lol, I wasn't saying anything bad about you or any one else. Yea, happens with me alot to, but as I said it just depends on how everything is done.
05 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 31st comment:
I've never understood why building has to be put on hold all that much, except for the final process of inputting it into the world. You can still design the world, mobs, etc. and write descriptions without needing a MUD up and running.
06 Dec, 2007, Tailsthefox wrote in the 32nd comment:
yeah but wheres the fun in that? anyways I actually wanted to run dbsaga as a prototype to help improve my coding skills and to get a good staff started. I have spent hours just reading code trying to figure out what is what. So I am going to finish editing this dbsaga code have it running then start over with samugfuss. This means new areas aswell. I am only having them build areas now to see how good of a builder they are and that way I can already have a pbase that will be ready to move with us.
06 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 33rd comment:
So just to get this straight… you are planning to start with DBSaga and stay with it for a while and then some time later on convert to FUSS?
06 Dec, 2007, Conner wrote in the 34th comment:
Tailsthefox said:
I am only having them build areas now to see how good of a builder they are and that way I can already have a pbase that will be ready to move with us.

Well, you've likely just lost any staff that you had that read these forums.. :lol:

So, on top of starting yet another DB* mud, in dbsaga no less, you expect to purposely run the mud on software that you know has major problems for awhile even to the extent of having folks build areas for you just to test the loyalty of your players and staff when you move to SmaugFUSS and throw away the areas these people have made/played so far so that you can start over from scratch.. Did I miss something here, or does that actually sum this up correctly?

More importantly, am I the only one who sees this as sounding horribly 'wrong' in many ways? :sad:
06 Dec, 2007, Guest wrote in the 35th comment:
Unless there's a significant difference in the area file FORMAT or the FORMAT of the skills file and such, getting those to load into FUSS won't be an issue. With any conversion of old material you'd be expected to have to make adjustments to flags that come out weird.
06 Dec, 2007, Guest wrote in the 36th comment:
Conner said:
More importantly, am I the only one who sees this as sounding horribly 'wrong' in many ways? :sad:

No, you aren't. But I was trying to refrain from commenting on that aspect of it.
06 Dec, 2007, Tailsthefox wrote in the 37th comment:
Ummm I think you misunderstood. The first thing you guys said about me running it for a year then upgrading was correct. The reason why I am running dbsaga for the year is to get staff, a stable pbase and to mess around with a code before I actually start reformating smaugfuss by myself.
06 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 38th comment:
Well, if you do that, you should do so knowing that the more stuff you build in one codebase, the more tedious and error-prone it will be to move it all over to a new codebase. Additionally, you and your staff will have developed familiarity with one codebase, and the changes in a new one – even if they are relatively minor – might cause some headaches during the transition phase.
07 Dec, 2007, Tailsthefox wrote in the 39th comment:
I never said it would be easy :P
07 Dec, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 40th comment:
Well, sure. :smile: But what I'm trying to say is that a slight change now might greatly reduce your workload later on, and it's worth spending a little bit at least considering it.
20.0/46