10 Feb, 2008, Darmond wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
ok well …. as it turns out tower is totaly toasted teraboly
so I am stuck with my laptop for now *ugg why vista why vista ;_; * I cant aford to install linux on this as its my MSN and gameing computer … but I want to resume work on my mud farly quick

so here is my delema
I dont want to change my codebase and start from scratch again I have made a few changes to my code that I dont want to make AGAIN as its time consuming and well annoying

so my general idea is which do I want to go with Cygwin or a virtual mashine

biggest issue right now I have with cygwin is I dont want to alter all my code so that it works on a windows setup for cygwin that totaly negates the point of a temp server in my opinion as when I get a new server I will have to remove it later
sooo
A. can cygwin compile normal mud code that hasent been modifyed for windows usage
B. can cygwin run a mud normaly like I would do off my linux computer

now I also got a few questions about a VM.
A can I run a VM from my windows login without switching users etc basacoly run it in windows mode so that I can still use my windows programs while it runs
B. what type of space usage would it take

I am basacoly just looking for the ability to enter into the command line and then boot up the mud so I dont need a grafical interface at all realy just the ability to compile and then run so what would be best suited for this if I was to use a VM.

my goal here is to do as little changes to my code as possabole if any at all so that I can easly transfer my code back to my linux computer once I get a new tower. any and all help would be most greatly apreceated and I thank you in advance if I can get all this up I can get my builders working again… also if I can get this up before valentines day I can rebuild my GF's present lol she lives far away so its the best I can give her at the moment
10 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Darmond said:
A. can cygwin compile normal mud code that hasent been modifyed for windows usage

Yes, that's sort of the whole point of Cygwin. (Only very occasionally are there compile problems.)

Darmond said:
B. can cygwin run a mud normaly like I would do off my linux computer

Yes.

Darmond said:
A can I run a VM from my windows login without switching users etc basacoly run it in windows mode so that I can still use my windows programs while it runs

Yes, that's the whole point of the VM. It runs as a user process like any other. When I run Windows I turn my VM on and off all the time.

Darmond said:
B. what type of space usage would it take

As much as you need for the Linux installation. VMWare, for instance, can grow the hard drive as needed. You probably won't need more than a few gigs if you use the default OS installation (which will include all kinds of stuff you probably don't need); you can cut it down much further if you strip it to the essentials.
11 Feb, 2008, Brinson wrote in the 3rd comment:
Some things about cygwin.

1. Some codebases make calls to linux programs it can't use, such as debugging apps, ect, in which case you'll need to stop it from using them.
2. Cygwin uses -alot- of space and can be annoying at times.
3. It is kinda like learning a distro, it takes time to figure everything out.

VM
1. It will use more ram than Cygwin, but probably less HD space.
2. If you know how to use linux, it easy.
3. You can move the entire VM as one file to another pc and just boot it back up.

A Virtual Machine is essentially another OS running in a box.

Like this:
http://oslutions.com/blog/wp-content/upl...

Vmware has a free version.
0.0/3