15 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm well aware of what MCCP is for and whatnot, and the potential bandwidth it can save due to how compressible text data is. I'm just curious to hear how relevant or useful others think it is these days, considering the average connection speeds users and hosts have at their disposal. At the moment I'm reworking some code, and fixing up the socket code is likely next on the agenda for me. In order to streamline things, I may just cut out MCCP support altogether; especially if it's not very useful or otherwise potent anymore.

Figured I'd see if it was worth saving at all. :thinking:
15 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
Transfer data since Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:17:49 PM Eastern US
Received : 5MB 430KB 551B
Uncompressed sent : 1KB 836B
Compressed sent : 40MB 501KB 935B
Saved by MCCP : 265MB 545KB 363B
IMC data received : 74MB 863KB 301B
IMC data sent : 11MB 669KB 135B
Total Received : 80MB 269KB 852B
Total Sent : 52MB 148KB 882B

Yes, very much worth it. And that's with no players. If I had players the number would be a lot higher. But I've noticed, from playing on muds that don't have MCCP installed, vs those that do have it installed, with 10-20 players on each, I experience minimal lag on the one without MCCP, whereas I experience none on the one with MCCP, and before the question of hosts comes up, both of said muds are hosted on the same machine by the same host.
15 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
So, if you take the total to be sent + saved, then MCCP is reducing the amount of data sent by 73%. I'd say that's worth it too. :smile:
15 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 4th comment:
I suppose so. Socketmud lacks nifty trackers like that, so I had nothing to go on where figures are concerned. One more thing for the to-do list, I guess. :thinking:
15 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 5th comment:
It still boils down to whether the client people use supports mccp, with zmud and mushclient having the vast majority of the client market share it pretty much means you would get good mileage from using mccp. For me however the client that will accompany my game does not support mccp, so its not of much use to me.
15 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 6th comment:
Most bases don't have something to track the MCCP, Remcon actually wrote what I have and passed it out on Smaugmuds.org or maybe it was here. Not sure, If you'd like, I can try and find it, and then you'd at least have something to use as a guideline. :P
15 Sep, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 7th comment:
Kayle said:
Most bases don't have something to track the MCCP, Remcon actually wrote what I have and passed it out on Smaugmuds.org or maybe it was here. Not sure, If you'd like, I can try and find it, and then you'd at least have something to use as a guideline. :P

By all means, please do. I have a basic idea of what needs to be done to create such a system, but having an additional reference couldn't hurt. :smile:
15 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
When Alsherok still had players MCCP was quite valuable to have, especially when dealing with the overland wilderness system. We didn't have the nifty tracker thing but that combined with some socket optimization cut complaints of lag down to almost nothing. I would say it's definitely worth implementing. The client market is saturated with clients that support it. Not just Zmud and Mushclient. Kmuddy supports it too and that's the major client for linux users. There's also plenty of smaller projects that include it.

The irony in all of this is that there's not a whole lot of actual codebases that support it stock. SmaugFUSS and AFKMud do, but honestly I don't know of much else that doesn't require it to be added as a snippet.
15 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 9th comment:
This thread is where the checktransfer command is discussed, you can get a copy of the LoP base from here or I think it might also be in the repository here at MudBytes. As detailed in Remcon's posts, the files you want are transfer.c, imc.c, db.c, and comm.c.

Or if you don't want to dig around in the code for it, I can send you a PM with only the relevant code in it. :)
0.0/9