02 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Votes: 0
Somebody hasn't been following the forum too closely… :wink:
02 Oct, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 4th comment:
Not recently, no. :sad:
02 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
See this thread. Basically it is a FUSS-like project but for ROM.
02 Oct, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 6th comment:
This is where we're going to try to develop a "more modern" ROM derivative, ala FUSS and tba.

All are welcome to contribute, but please, keep things on topic, lest I ask for a mod bit and start bashing heads, er, I mean splitting threads. :devil:

I think one of the first things to decide is, should we stick with Ivan's rather raw OLC and fix it, or does someone have something better?
02 Oct, 2008, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
You might see about getting in touch with Darien and see how far along his ROCS system was to being completed. It's supposed to be a full blown redo of OLC from scratch.
02 Oct, 2008, Skol wrote in the 8th comment:
I've done a few years of OLC improvements as well, I'd be happy to share.
02 Oct, 2008, Skol wrote in the 9th comment:
Maybe we should post proposed code fixes/changes and make a group decision etc?
03 Oct, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 10th comment:
Samson said:
You might see about getting in touch with Darien and see how far along his ROCS system was to being completed. It's supposed to be a full blown redo of OLC from scratch.

Darn, it's been so long, I'd forgotten that. Darien, how's it coming?
03 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 11th comment:
I'm not overly familiar with Rom or it's olc but I believe that people like what they are familiar with. I understand from discussing it with others that are more familiar with Rom that Ivan's is the accepted standard. Would it not be better to clean up and enhance what Rom users are already used too? The only benefit I see to using a new system is if the old one is crude or beyond repair and the idea behind this codebase is to gear it more toward NEW Rom users.
03 Oct, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 12th comment:
That's a good question Chris, and I'm not the one to answer it. I won't use it. I have used what they have on TBA (years ago) and it seemed quite the same. I just don't think line by line entry is acceptable, and I can't imagine what someone who does, would want. Spell checking and global search and replace would be on my list.
03 Oct, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 13th comment:
Line by line entry? I can't think any possible alternative that's mud-client compatible…
03 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 14th comment:
Spellchecking is a must have for the builders. What do you mean by global search and replace?
03 Oct, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 15th comment:
s/typeds/typed (I'm not saying you typoed typeds, just an example of global find and replace…)
03 Oct, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 16th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Spellchecking is a must have for the builders. What do you mean by global search and replace?

Say you want to change the name of a town, and it's mentioned in several places.
03 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 17th comment:
Ah I see, that would be a very handy feature.
03 Oct, 2008, Guest wrote in the 18th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I'm not overly familiar with Rom or it's olc but I believe that people like what they are familiar with. I understand from discussing it with others that are more familiar with Rom that Ivan's is the accepted standard. Would it not be better to clean up and enhance what Rom users are already used too? The only benefit I see to using a new system is if the old one is crude or beyond repair and the idea behind this codebase is to gear it more toward NEW Rom users.

Well I think one of the motivating factors for Darien with ROCS was the odball licensing and lineage behind Ivan's. He started his project during one of Locke's famous "I wrote all OLCs" rampages partly as a way to free people from that particular problem since Locke is, well…… yeah. But I think also that he wanted something that was built ground up so he'd know exactly how it all worked and could integrate it better into the codebase.
03 Oct, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 19th comment:
Yeah those Rampages always made me laugh… Why? Oasis predates LOCKE's OLC and is probably more widely used and definitely preferred by many.
03 Oct, 2008, Skol wrote in the 20th comment:
Chris Bailey said:

No argument there :).
What I'd done was actually modify that so that it gives more information back to the builder while they're building. Also, allowing limits to be set on things, forcing checks for numbers vs strings (rather than just atoi(arg)) so that you come up with numbers that make sense etc.
0.0/181