17 Jun, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
How about adding a difficulty rating to the Code repository? (Yeah you could do this in the desc but .. yeah)
17 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 2nd comment:
What if the author's view of difficulty is skewed? I've been told a snippet or two that I've written were pains the ass but I'd rate their difficulty (both that of installation and of the original creation) at a -5/10.
17 Jun, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 3rd comment:
i dont know :P
17 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 4th comment:
Difficulty rating would be completely coder bias, some coders think making a function that says hi to the entire mud is difficult, where-as someone else would think thats child-play.

Difficulty is a state of mind, i'm a more advanced coder, so when i do something, and it is difficult, i tend to note it within my snippet (if i release the code) that it was indeed, difficult.

My opinion on this is difficulty rating is completely based on the coders talents, if the coder sucks, doing something big would be difficult, but if the coder is really good, then they would gage it based on their ability. Its off skew.
17 Jun, 2006, Darmond wrote in the 5th comment:
mmm well you could get a group of coders ( some good some bad etc ) to rate the code itself for difaculty then average the scores that would cut back on the bias a bit
17 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 6th comment:
Good luck finding a bunch of us with time and/or patience to install every last snippet and rate the difficulty.
17 Jun, 2006, Justice wrote in the 7th comment:
Could allow any user to rate it… then the difficulty rating would average out as people downloaded and commented on it.
17 Jun, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 8th comment:
Darmond said:
mmm well you could get a group of coders ( some good some bad etc ) to rate the code itself for difaculty then average the scores that would cut back on the bias a bit

Some good, some bad? I don't know that there are bad coders out there… Just less experienced ones maybe? :wink:
17 Jun, 2006, Justice wrote in the 9th comment:
Heh, I've seen bad coders… and it wasn't for lack of years coding…
Like many fields, some people just don't have the knack for it.
17 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 10th comment:
Erh, the way I see it, a _massive_ portion of people who would actually use a snippet are inexperienced (most I know would rather write it themselves unless it's a really, really big pain in the ass and they stumble on a snippet that's well written) and probably not going to comment, either.
17 Jun, 2006, Remcon wrote in the 11th comment:
I have to agree with Midboss on that one. I use to use snippets all the time and I'm trying to avoid snippets. They are great if they are well written and would save you alot of time then feel free. But I always kind of looked at snippets as a chance to learn how to do something (and in some cases as how not to do something). Even back when I used snippets I don't know how many I would no more then glance at and simply delete because it was written badly. I also agree that difficutly does depend greatly on whos doing the codeing. Things I can toss in very quickly others could probably spend weeks getting in. A rating type of deal that others can rate it would be nice I guess so it gets an overall oppinion of it.
17 Jun, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 12th comment:
odd what so many of us who dont use snippets are doing on a snippet site ;) lol
18 Jun, 2006, Remcon wrote in the 13th comment:
Because we enjoy releasing snippets in hopes that someone out there will find it useful? :)
18 Jun, 2006, Guest wrote in the 14th comment:
I don't think difficulty ratings are in the cards. We already have general ratings on the code itself which are subjective enough as it is. How difficult something is would be even harder to quantify. If people feel a piece of code here is difficult to install, they can make a comment to that affect in the listing for it.
18 Jun, 2006, Conner wrote in the 15th comment:
Overall, I'm going to take the position on this one that Samson has expressed, we've already got a general overal rating for each submission and room for all the comments one cares to leave regarding that snippet.

As for good or bad coders, there are some folks who just don't quite have it in them to grasp coding, but in general I would think that most folk who can look at some code and understand what they're seeing can eventually become good coders given some experience and guidance.

Remcon, I've seen you completely rewrite a function that ended up a thousand lines of code, basically from scratch, in under an hour.. enough said on that one. :wink:

Finally, I agree with Remcon's last comment that the reason folks who won't use a snippet themselves would frequent a snippet site is two fold, at least from what I can see, one, they want to give back to the community by releasing their snippets for those who lack their experience, and two, they play watchdog over the snippets others release to correct things in them so newbie coders won't get too frustrated and quit because someone's snippet wasn't written to be usable. Both of which are great reason for those of you who can code that well. Personally, I still need snippets and am very proud of the fact that I've come far along enough to have been able to release a few back into the community myself, even though I know that what I've released were generally easy things that someone with more experience could've probably done far more easily and possibly in a better way.
0.0/15