18 Jun, 2012, Izmar wrote in the 161st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi there, I'm Izmar.

I cut my teeth on the internet on the IRC and roleplay MUSH/MUXs. I've admined on several projects, mostly as BuildStaff/Helpstaff between 2001ish to 2005ish (if you want to know exactly where, just shoot me a PM, but most of those projects are long dead).

I made the jump to MMOs and currently work in the industry as a Community Manager.

I'm looking into building a MUD version of the game I work on as a community chat area (players are spread out over multiple servers, a global chat area would be useful and the company codemonkeys are dragging their heels on building me one) and as a fun project to help our roleplay community grow.

Personally, I'm also kind of eyeballing the idea of getting back into the MU* world in general, as I miss the type of interesting characters I used to meet and the entertaining mishaps that we used to get up to in the old days.

Really glad to see there's still some people out there with appreciation for the text-based game!
11 Jul, 2012, Maddy wrote in the 162nd comment:
Hi everyone.

I'm working on a small MUDish project every now and then. Seems like this would be a good forum for any discussions related to that so I decided to join.

My game is a custom codebase written in C# and I run it on Linux using Mono. The data is stored in a MySQL database. The game is still at very early stage. Rooms, items and monsters are basically coded and working. The game has now about 30 commands. I have just begun to implement a combat system.

Originally my game had room descriptions like most other MUDs. I realized that while I can write fairly good room descriptions myself, it is simply too much work to create a large world by myself. I want to just focus on the stuff I like, such as game mechanics and code side. My experience shows that trying to recruit builders to a project which is at an early stage is also extremely difficult. I have tried to post a few ads on MudConnector among other places every now and then, but ultimately came to the conclusion that it'll never work in the long run if I am dependent on anyone else but myself. Currently my solution is to use an ASCII automap in place of room descriptions, similar in appearance as to what many muds have. I am not ruling out going back to room descriptions in the future, should things change for some reason.

Looking forward to having interesting discussions with you all.
11 Jul, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 163rd comment:
Maddy is a good egg. He stops by my game sometimes to chat about development.
21 Jul, 2012, Davenge wrote in the 164th comment:
Hello, I'm Davenge. I've been around the mud world and dabbled in building and coding SWR muds for years. Though, on and off and usually more building than coding.

I'm currently working on a SWR themed PvP encouraged/pure-pk mud with RP elements. I'm having fun and plan to do most of the coding and building myself! It's a challenge but a worth while one. I hope you will all come check it out when it launches!
18 Aug, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 165th comment:
Hi.

I just registered twice. Someone deleted my account almost immediately after I registered.

Is there a particular reason why?
18 Aug, 2012, Runter wrote in the 166th comment:
Barrons said:
Hi.

I just registered twice. Someone deleted my account almost immediately after I registered.

Is there a particular reason why?

They probably thought you were a spam bot. They seem to get a lot of them registering and posting. It may be just me, but I think just deleting bot accounts over and over isn't really the best approach to handle with bots registering..
19 Aug, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 167th comment:
Ah. Greetings, then. Call me Barrons. A little about myself; I am not a bot.

Cheers.
20 Aug, 2012, kiasyn wrote in the 168th comment:
Hi Barrons,

I just checked the moderator actions log and can see no record of your account being deleted, are you sure the signup completed successfully?

Thanks,
Sam
20 Aug, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 169th comment:
Yep. I got a confirmation e-mail from Mudbytes. I confirmed, logged in… no such account exists.
The post notification in the sidebar that says "New Member: Barrons" even disappeared.

So, to clarify, having registered a second time, I have two (2) confirmation e-mails from Mudbytes in my inbox.
20 Aug, 2012, Davion wrote in the 170th comment:
Barrons said:

Cheers.

Thanks! FWIW, it was me! *blush* We're working on anitspam but it require a rather extensive upgrade (fortunately, not code side :D). Bare with us while it gets fixed. These people have resorted to hand-making their spam accounts, and current site software is not holding them back. Upgrade comin within the month I'd say.
20 Aug, 2012, kiasyn wrote in the 171st comment:
Davion said:
Barrons said:

Cheers.

Thanks! FWIW, it was me! *blush* We're working on anitspam but it require a rather extensive upgrade (fortunately, not code side :D). Bare with us while it gets fixed. These people have resorted to hand-making their spam accounts, and current site software is not holding them back. Upgrade comin within the month I'd say.

gosh davion
23 Aug, 2012, arendjr wrote in the 172nd comment:
Hey all,

My name is Arend van Beelen jr. and I started playing MUD games almost 10 years ago (Lands of Stone). More recently, I was looking for a nice project to work on in my spare time. I was thinking again about those nice days of playing in a MUD with friends, and decided to create my own. It is my intention to write both a new game engine and an actual game with a completely new world on top of that. For the latter part, I found some friends who are interested in helping me out with that.

Currently, I'm working hard on my own engine, aptly named PlainText. It's written in C++ and runs on Linux and Mac OS X (and might with a little bit of tweaking run on Windows too). Scripting is done in JavaScript. It supports both old-fashioned telnet and WebSocket connections, with a bare HTML interface I quickly hacked together. When it comes to game mechanics, it is already fully functional, but still lacking in many areas.

For anyone interested in the engine, check out the GitHub repository: https://github.com/arendjr/PlainText

For the game I want to build on top of it, I'm thinking of a medieval setting, but in a world where a prior wiped-out civilization existed that was actually more advanced than anything we know today. Artifacts of this civilization will be littered throughout the game. Of course, this will some relevance to the storyline as well. Anyway, these are just early thoughts which will hopefully be fleshed out during the coming months.

If I have interested anyone who wants to join me in my building my engine and/or game, please contact me and I'll be happy to discuss things.

Cheers!
Arend jr.
25 Aug, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 173rd comment:
@Arendjr: Wow! I have been tooling through your engine, it looks awesome! I might try experimenting with this. How long have you been working on this project? Welcome to Mudbytes (I'm a new member too) and thanks for the link!
26 Aug, 2012, arendjr wrote in the 174th comment:
@Barrons: Hey! Glad you seem to like it :)

I think I've been working on it some evening hours for about 4 months now, sometimes more than others of course :) Feel free to send me a message when you start experimenting with it. I'd gladly answer any questions, or implement suggestions for making the engine more reusable/flexible for other projects.

Cheers!
Arend jr.
02 Sep, 2012, thatjdguy wrote in the 175th comment:
My name's J.D. I've been MUDding for over 10 years now, though I can't remember exactly when I started. The first MUD I connected to was Aurora's Lost Prophecy. I played there for a few years and then took a break from it for a while. When I came back I noticed that it was shut down, but I found another Lost Prophecy run by Thunder. I started playing there and have never really played anywhere else. I've made characters on other MUDs, but none ever felt quite right.

I've also tried my hand at coding a few times. The idea of creating my own world for people to play is really intriguing, though I spend most of the time banging my head against the wall wondering why my code doesn't work. I've never programmed in C outside of the MUD so I have very little to go on. The approach I'm taking to try to learn is the same I took with learning HTML … view what others have written, learn what parts do what, then implement my own ideas. While that approach is somewhat working it is also VERY frustrating as well. So anyway, that's just a little about me.
04 Sep, 2012, Exodus wrote in the 176th comment:
That's great to hear. MUD programming, and more specifically, programming, is simultaneously one of the most rewarding and frustrating hobbies. Take it slow and pick stuff apart until you can figure out how it works. Change it, re-design it and make it better. That's how it works.

You will probably give it up many times, but if you keep at it, you will get much better. If something is giving you a problem, go work on something else for awhile. Usually, complex problems are solved through sudden and random realization. It usually makes you feel stupid at the time, but it works out in the end because that's knowledge you just gained.

Good luck!
22 Sep, 2012, yamamushi wrote in the 177th comment:
Howdy Everyone,

Yamamushi here, C/C++ Programmer, Senior Systems Engineer, Scotch Drinker, Smoker. :-)

I am the lead developer for www.TheASCIIProject.com, and considering that MUDs are a huge influence on my project's goals, it only seemed appropriate to sign up here and contribute to the community somehow.

I have a major revamp of my game engine in progress, and I'm having to take a few steps back to organize my data in a more comprehensible way. It's a bit of a challenge merging the MUD development mindset around the Roguelike Developer mindset, as you end up with many questions to which neither party has a well-tested solution to.

As a side project, I'm working on a MUD based on House of Leaves, www.navidsonsproject.com . There's not much to show for that project though, as I've literally just started putting my notes together for it.

I would like to contribute to other projects as well, if anyone needs a C/C++ programmer, or just a fresh set of eyes on their code, I'm more than happy to help where I can :-)

-Yamamushi
22 Sep, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 178th comment:
yamamushi said:
As a side project, I'm working on a MUD based on House of Leaves, www.navidsonsproject.com . There's not much to show for that project though, as I've literally just started putting my notes together for it.

I would like to contribute to other projects as well, if anyone needs a C/C++ programmer, or just a fresh set of eyes on their code, I'm more than happy to help where I can :-)

-Yamamushi

Hi and welcome.

The second link didn't work for me. The ASCII Project looks very interesting, though a bit too old-school for my taste :)

If you ever want to contribute to a game in production, feel free to visit playbedlam.com and look around. We have two active coders ATM, so in that sense we're luckier than most, but the more the merrier.
23 Sep, 2012, yamamushi wrote in the 179th comment:
Oops, correction* www.navidsonsrecord.com
15 Nov, 2012, Verias wrote in the 180th comment:
I always feel stupid trying to tack onto introductory threads, but here goes:

Not really a "newcomer" so to speak. More of an old mud coder finding his way back into the fold after nearly a decade. No public game up right now, just looking over and remembering my old code and working to get it somewhere playable. Mayhaps in the future I'll be looking for staff to assist, but for now, let me just say hi, and much thanks to Davion and Mudbytes (and MudMagic) for keeping up with some of my old code snippets. You guys kinda saved me a fair bit of rework from old backups.

Regards,
Verias/Arlieyn aka Keith Wood
160.0/221