26 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm currently working on writing a new gui-based MUD server using Python. At the moment it's more of a reason to just tinker with Python code and finally learn the language, but ultimately I'm thinking that I'd like to turn it into a sort of IDE for MUD development.

Anyhow, I'd like to see if I could solicit some ideas for what the project should be named. I do have a tentative name for it, but I'm not particularly sure of it. My first thought was to call it something like "MUDkit", and that led to a play on words of an internet meme as "MUDkitz" (or "Mudkitz") which strikes me as being somewhat catchy (i.e, "so i herd u liek MUDkitz"), although perhaps annoying at the same time. I've also thought about trying to come up with something that uses 'Py' in it, per the trend to name Python-based programs in that way (i.e, PyDev, PyQt, PyGame, etc), but I've yet to come with anything along those lines.

Suggestions?
26 Jul, 2009, Dean wrote in the 2nd comment:
The Python MUD construction set or PyMUD CS for short. :cyclops:
26 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
MudPy
26 Jul, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
This is a little obscure – pystil, a takeoff on pistil, which is derived from the Latin word for pestle, as in mortar and pestle. ;D

MudPy has been used before – that project may or may not be active though.
26 Jul, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 5th comment:
3.14mud

mud3.14
26 Jul, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 6th comment:
And you get a release number system for free :biggrin:
26 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
Snake House.
26 Jul, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 8th comment:
Monty Mud is the Holy Grail

Snakes on Plains

PyGMi

I haven't quite worked out what that last one means, but it's got possibilities. ;)
26 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
I'm not a huge fan of people naming their project after Language + Project Type. It means we end up with endless variations on PyMud, RubyMud, MudRuby, LuaMud, PythonMud, MudPy, etc.
26 Jul, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 10th comment:
I like it when people do combine the two things though. Then you get things like Argila (Lua) and Doro (Ruby).
26 Jul, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 11th comment:
PieMUD.
27 Jul, 2009, Kline wrote in the 12th comment:
I like pie. Mmmmm.
27 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
Venom.
27 Jul, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 14th comment:
Great name for a MUD, but pythons are non-venomous. :(
27 Jul, 2009, shasarak wrote in the 15th comment:
Something along the lines of "mortal coils".
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 16th comment:
PyMacs?
27 Jul, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 17th comment:
David Haley said:
I'm not a huge fan of people naming their project after Language + Project Type. It means we end up with endless variations on PyMud, RubyMud, MudRuby, LuaMud, PythonMud, MudPy, etc.

.. and whats wrong with that?
27 Jul, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 18th comment:
Mostly Brainless
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
flumpy said:
David Haley said:

.. and whats wrong with that?

Well, just in my personal opinion, several things…

- It's a little unoriginal.
- It sounds a little silly. Imagine if we had codebases called CMud or C++Mud.
- It sounds a little presumptuous to call one's MUD "the" <language> MUD codebase. Normally I would reserve such names for (quasi-)official language modules.

Clever plays are more interesting IMO, e.g. CoffeeMUD (Java –> coffee) and so forth. MoonMUD could be a somewhat interesting (but very simple) play on Lua.

Again, just my opinion though…
27 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 20th comment:
Some random thoughts and ramblings…

In Greek mythology, "Python" was an earth-dragon, represented as a serpent, who was later slain by Apollo. Mud is wet earth, and the python is a snake…mud snake.

The "mud snake" is believe by some to be the source of the hoop snake myth, which in turn is similar to the ouroboros of Greek mythology. The ouroboros (a symbol depicting a serpent or dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a circle) has important religious, mythological, alchemical and historical meanings.

Plato once described such a being, saying "Of design he was created thus, his own waste providing his own food, and all that he did or suffered taking place in and by himself. For the Creator conceived that a being which was self-sufficient would be far more excellent than one which lacked anything".

As the creator of this new Python MUD server, I don't suppose you've designed your IDE to be fully self-sufficient, have you? ;)
0.0/43