27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
KaVir said:
Some random thoughts and ramblings…

In Greek mythology, "Python" was an earth-dragon, represented as a serpent, who was later slain by Apollo. Mud is wet earth, and the python is a snake…mud snake.

The "mud snake" is believe by some to be the source of the hoop snake myth, which in turn is similar to the ouroboros of Greek mythology. The ouroboros (a symbol depicting a serpent or dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a circle) has important religious, mythological, alchemical and historical meanings.

Plato once described such a being, saying "Of design he was created thus, his own waste providing his own food, and all that he did or suffered taking place in and by himself. For the Creator conceived that a being which was self-sufficient would be far more excellent than one which lacked anything".

As the creator of this new Python MUD server, I don't suppose you've designed your IDE to be fully self-sufficient, have you? ;)

As much as I like the name Ouroboros, it already seems to be in use by a number of programs; far more than I'd expect, actually, as I was expecting to see one at most. I have to wonder what exactly the law(s) are (if any?) regarding software product names. In regards to it being self-sufficient, I'm not sure; I suppose it depends on what you mean by self-sufficient. Although as a side note, one alternative to calling it Ouroboros that comes to mind (thanks to having played the .Hack//G.U. game series lately) could be "(the) Serpent of Lore".

I also very much appreciate all the suggestions and discussions being generated in this thread so far, guys. It's giving me quite a lot to think about.
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 22nd comment:
AFAIK there are no special laws for software product names. My understanding is that the regular trademark laws apply.

Of course, there are more or less polite things to do; the open source community generally frowns upon copying names. (That's another reason I kind of dislike <Language><Mud> because everything ends up with the same name…)
27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 23rd comment:
David Haley said:
Of course, there are more or less polite things to do; the open source community generally frowns upon copying names. (That's another reason I kind of dislike <Language><Mud> because everything ends up with the same name…)

I suppose so, and you do bring up a good point in that regard (the <language><mud> thing). I think that's more or less why my first thought was to call it something like MUDkit; it felt like the odds of the name being "taken" already were slim to none.

As a side note, another name possibility that comes to mind thanks to the Ouroboros thing would be Serpentarius (or Ophiuchus / Serpens). It seems there's quite a lot of snake-related names to be had. :thinking:
27 Jul, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 24th comment:
PaPieMUD, PyPaiMUD, PyPieMUD heh just being stupid and wanted my two cents in.
27 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 25th comment:
Benzene

LobotoMUD

Blissard

ViPy

Blue Harvest

Your Mud Name Here

Shitting Dicknipples
27 Jul, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 26th comment:
Heh, Funny.
27 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 27th comment:
Hellion said:
Heh, Funny.

me too
27 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 28th comment:
IWIWAMMIRBIISMBTP - It's original, you shouldn't find anyone else using it. It might not be particularly catchy or easy to pronounce, but it's meaning is profound and will support your MUD's opinion if it ever becomes the singularity.

I wish I was a MUD made in Ruby because It is so much better than Python.

What do you think?? =)
27 Jul, 2009, Kline wrote in the 29th comment:
Are you a military man Chris Bailey? Only someone with previous military background could understand how to make an acronym that complex and uselessly long :).
27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 30th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
IWIWAMMIRBIISMBTP - It's original, you shouldn't find anyone else using it. It might not be particularly catchy or easy to pronounce, but it's meaning is profound and will support your MUD's opinion if it ever becomes the singularity.

I wish I was a MUD made in Ruby because It is so much better than Python.

What do you think?? =)

You could always start a thread for specifically that matter if you want to go into detail regarding the differences of Ruby and Python, and why Ruby is actually better. I'd be interested in being educated on that particular matter (in another thread), as I'm not so much interested in which language I use as much as which will be the most effective/easiest. Though, GUI support is a concern so that'll need to be part of the comparison; particularly, whether or not Ruby has built-in gui support (as Python does, which is largely why I chose to start using it in the first place).
27 Jul, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 31st comment:
I'd call it the Python Enhanced Nameless
Internet Server and wave it about.
27 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 32nd comment:
I understand that you don't want your thread hijacked as well as I hope you understand that I was just joshing you because I couldn't come up with a good name. PS - Ruby does have a standard GUI lib. =)
27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 33rd comment:
Tyche said:
I'd call it the Python Enhanced Nameless
Internet Server and wave it about.

Lots of potential for that one. :smile:

Chris Bailey said:
I understand that you don't want your thread hijacked as well as I hope you understand that I was just joshing you because I couldn't come up with a good name. PS - Ruby does have a standard GUI lib. =)

Yeah, I know it was in good spirit; I just wanted to be really sure it didn't go the other way anyways.

Edit: Are you going to be starting the aforementioned thread, Chris, or should I go ahead and do it? Either way is fine with me.
27 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 34th comment:
lol @ Tyche. I can just see Lobotomy advertising that one. Have you guys tried my new Penis? It's got all the features you have come to expect plus a graphical interface for administration. You just plug it in and your ready to play. Push a button and it will start up on it's own. You can configure the device it will record all of it's activity too as well.
It's also important to note that you can adjust it on the fly based on the experience level of your players. Switching between easy, medium, hard and VERY hard with a few simple strokes.
27 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 35th comment:
lol penis lol that slike a dick rite
27 Jul, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 36th comment:
Cratylus said:
lol penis lol that slike a dick rite

Some of the people that have them are called Dick…. others are called dicks.

Dick You MUD is already taken, though….

SpamMUD?

MUD of the Flying Circus?

The Penguin On Your Monitor Is About To Explode

(yes, there's a theme here, but "Python" doesn't refer to a snake, actually.)
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
Sandi said:

It's kind of interesting how few people know that, but I suppose that it's not really obvious if you haven't looked at the manuals/docs/examples at all.
27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 38th comment:
David Haley said:
Sandi said:

It's kind of interesting how few people know that, but I suppose that it's not really obvious if you haven't looked at the manuals/docs/examples at all.

I've been reading through the manuals, docs, and examples quite a bit, and I've not noticed any sort of link between the two. Granted, I'm not too familiar with Monty Python's work, so that's probably why.

Anyhow, thanks for clearing that up, Sandi.
27 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 39th comment:
The first section of the tutorial says the following:
The tutorial said:
By the way, the language is named after the BBC show “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” and has nothing to do with reptiles. Making references to Monty Python skits in documentation is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

:smile:
27 Jul, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 40th comment:
Well, I haven't exactly been reading the pages in order, so a little section like that was easy to miss. :thinking:
20.0/43