04 Aug, 2009, Guest wrote in the 121st comment:
Votes: 0
Yeah, "report post" is more in line with "call the cops" rather than "bust out the guns"
04 Aug, 2009, Koron wrote in the 122nd comment:
Samson said:
Self-policing would be giving the community at large the ability to take enforcement action themselves.

Look, I don't really care enough about the term to argue over this any longer. Continuing to talk about it is only a distraction from the purpose of my posting about this to begin with. Semantics can often be important, but this is not one of those times. Call it what you will, my meaning holds even if you feel I've chosen the wrong label for it.
Samson said:
I suppose it's a good thing this hasn't happened here then.

See, the thing about analogies is that they get pretty ridiculous if you try to respond to them as if the other person means them literally. Of course no cop mugged someone while on duty here–that's pretty impossible.

David Haley said:
[The point is that people in charge set the example for everybody else, and so are naturally – by very virtue of setting the example – to be held to a higher standard, assuming of course that they care about the example they set. But no matter what the people in charge think, they set the standard for what is acceptable. The staff's behavior for any site sets the tone for the community.[/quote]
[quote=David Haley]Well, I don't want to put too many words into Koron's mouth, but that seems to be saying quite simply that people with authority can't just act however they feel like and blame it on just being human, but instead need to try to transcend whatever flaws they might have, and should be held to higher standards by virtue of being the ones in charge.[/quote]
Quite so. Thank you, David.
04 Aug, 2009, Guest wrote in the 123rd comment:
Koron said:
See, the thing about analogies is that they get pretty ridiculous if you try to respond to them as if the other person means them literally. Of course no cop mugged someone while on duty here–that's pretty impossible.

Except I wasn't responding to it as though it were literal, I was responding in the meaning you meant. We haven't had anyone here performing the administrative equivalent of the cops mugging you at the ATM. Frankly the assertion that we have is just plain absurd, but this is getting off target so I don't think it needs be discussed any further.
05 Aug, 2009, Koron wrote in the 124th comment:
Okay, I agree that we're getting off track. Seems like your disagreement is mostly in the terms I've chosen. :)

Have any other opinions?
05 Aug, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 125th comment:
Samson said:
I floated the idea of using a similar system here past a couple of people. The reaction was surprisingly favorable. I half expected to have it thrown out immediately as far too fascist or dictatorial or whatever. But it seems not and that at least a few people would appreciate a more public display of things when users here get warned or suspended, or God forbid banned. I can't say I fully understand why, but it does seem to work for Nexus.

The way I see it working best here is to have our own dedicated forum with the same sort of rules posts moved into it. Each time we need to take action, a post is made there. We would be able to leave those open for possible future followups, the regular membership would only be able to read them.

Publicly condemning people who will have no method of publicly defending themselves is "far too fascist or dictatorial or whatever".

It is of course up to each site to come up with its rule-sets, and then a choice can be made by members whether they wish to abide by the rules or go elsewhere.
Samson said:
So as the second half of this I want to know if folks would like to see a new group of moderators formed here as that layer for us. So that we as admins don't need to constantly step into these things directly. We don't yet know who we'd like to see in those positions but we do have a couple of possible candidates.

I would prefer the admins continue to moderate.

There are a few people that post here that would not moderate in a fair fashion. Placing any of these people in any "position of power" (no matter how small) could have a negative impact on several individuals in the short term, and the community as a whole in the long term.
05 Aug, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 126th comment:
We are pretty much set on choosing the moderators ourselves. I don't think the idea of electing or community-appointed moderators should continue further, as it is extremely unlikely we will implement that.
05 Aug, 2009, Koron wrote in the 127th comment:
Mabus said:
There are a few people that post here that would not moderate in a fair fashion. Placing any of these people in any "position of power" (no matter how small) could have a negative impact on several individuals in the short term, and the community as a whole in the long term.

Since most of the people here seem to be involved in running muds in one fashion or another, I find this a very ironic thing to say. Are things really that bad in the mud community that most people involved in it cannot be trusted not to be assholes?
05 Aug, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 128th comment:
Koron said:
Mabus said:

Since most of the people here seem to be involved in running muds in one fashion or another, I find this a very ironic thing to say. Are things really that bad in the mud community that most people involved in it cannot be trusted not to be assholes?

in short… yeah. Have you not read the threads that are a cause for some of the recent admin activity? Some people are just going to be assholes when they see something that pushes their buttons (spelling/grammar errors, stupidity, whatever).

kiasyn said:
We are pretty much set on choosing the moderators ourselves. I don't think the idea of electing or community-appointed moderators should continue further, as it is extremely unlikely we will implement that.

Yeah well I'm bringing it up anyway cause I have things to say that haven't been brought up.

As for my opinion, I am all for having the reason for each admin action posted publicly. I'm all for having a group of moderators, but I'm not sure they should be appointed per-say. I think the admins should put together a list of good choices and then put that list up for a vote. If the goal is to have 5 moderators, the list should have 15 or more names on it. These people should meet certain requirements that the admin can come up with on their own. Once the list is compiled, let the regular members make their choices. This way the members have a say in it, but there won't be any people elected who aren't going to be suitable mods.

I've been wondering for the past year or so why there isn't a "report this post" button. The button is a great idea and like whoever said it earlier said, it's also a good way to gain names for the list of possible moderators.

I had a few other thoughts a few pages back, but those were already covered as far as I remember.
05 Aug, 2009, Dean wrote in the 129th comment:
Igabod said:
If the goal is to have 5 moderators, the list should have 15 or more names on it. These people should meet certain requirements that the admin can come up with on their own. Once the list is compiled, let the regular members make their choices. This way the members have a say in it, but there won't be any people elected who aren't going to be suitable mods.

So people will elect those that'll not bust their chops? :smirk:
05 Aug, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 130th comment:
They will elect those that are chosen by the admin as good moderators, so theoretically there won't be anybody on that list that would be a problem to begin with.

I forgot to mention in the previous post that there should be an eligibility requirement to actually vote. The requirement should be that you have an account here for at least 6 months (maybe 3 months) to place a vote. That way we don't have a problem of people creating dummy accounts just to vote.
05 Aug, 2009, Davion wrote in the 131st comment:
It's hard enough coming up with 3 names let alone 15 :)
05 Aug, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 132nd comment:
It seems to me that if the standard administrators-pick-moderators-who-get-removed-if-they-misbehave approach is good enough for, like, every other internet forum, then it should be good enough for MUDBytes. Get over the voting thing. Sheesh.
05 Aug, 2009, Dean wrote in the 133rd comment:
Confuto said:
It seems to me that if the standard administrators-pick-moderators-who-get-removed-if-they-misbehave approach is good enough for, like, every other internet forum, then it should be good enough for MUDBytes. Get over the voting thing. Sheesh.

Exactly.
05 Aug, 2009, Kintar wrote in the 134th comment:
Confuto said:

From reading this thread and the ones that caused it, it seems like most of the complaints stem from the fact that people feel the admins aren't acting in an unbiased manner. If we accept admin bias as true for the purposes of this argument, and then state that admins appoint the moderators, it would follow that the admins would only appoint moderators who will behave in a manner that will agree with the admins' bias. That, then, doesn't address the complaint. The mechanism of having the admins put up a list of choices they feel appropriate then allowing the community to vote should quell most of the complaints that moderation is biased, as the community will either vote for the candidates they feel aren't biased, or start yet another complaint thread saying that they have no unbiased moderators to choose from.

Honestly, though, reading all the background threads I can find, it sounds like this whole thing started because one person was having a bad day and overreacted to a pet peeve, at which point other people wouldn't stop picking at the sore spot. Wars have started over less. :P
05 Aug, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 135th comment:
Kintar said:
The mechanism of having the admins put up a list of choices they feel appropriate then allowing the community to vote should quell most of the complaints that moderation is biased, as the community will either vote for the candidates they feel aren't biased, or start yet another complaint thread saying that they have no unbiased moderators to choose from.

Or, again the case with most internet forums, if people felt the moderators were behaving poorly or in a biased manner, they could PM the administrators or kick up a fuss on the public boards (not endorsing this, but it's likely to happen). If enough of a stink arose because of a particular person's actions as or appointment to moderator, I'm sure the admins would see that there was an issue and at least attempt to address it - as they're doing here.

Bear in mind that bias is a necessity of human nature. An effective moderation team includes people with different biases who keep not only regular forum members in check but also each other.

The admin-appointment moderation system is a widespread and (I would hazard a guess) near-univeral approach to forum moderation. I see no reason to replace a proven method with some complex pseudo-democratic system simply because a few individuals rub a few other individuals the wrong way. No moderation team is going to please everyone, so at the end of the day they may as well be selected rather than elected as - in the end - the same number of people will end up approving or disapproving of the results.
05 Aug, 2009, Davion wrote in the 136th comment:
Heh, I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm a little curious. Now before I ask this, I'd rather you answer me in a PM. Who would actually -want- this kind of responsibility? Keep in mind, the initial constant scrutiny you'll be under. As well as the current precedent for enforcing the rules.
05 Aug, 2009, shasarak wrote in the 137th comment:
Samson said:
If a mod can be "baited" into losing his or her cool, that person was probably chosen poorly.

This I would have to disagree with though. People lose their cool. We're human, it happens. I would argue though that if people perceive it clearly enough as being "baited" into it that it's clear enough as it stands to know someone was trolling, because bating people is trolling. If people see that as having fun, quite frankly I'd see that as a serious character flaw in those people.

That, in a nutshell, is why many people have a problem with the moderation style on this site.

Moderators are, indeed, human, and will inevitably screw up sometimes. However, a good moderator a) makes an ongoing, conscious effort to stay calm, even in the face of provocation, and b) when he does lose it, eventually backs down, admits that he was wrong to do so, and does his best to make reparation. Those two things are well within the grasp of many human beings; those for whom it is not have no business being moderators. It does not require inhuman powers of self-control to say "okay, I lost my temper, I shouldn't have, and I'm sorry".

On another point: I agree with the need for a "bring this post to the attention of a moderator" button.

Finally, I'd like to suggest that the forum permits, and even actively encourages, discussion of moderation decisions by ordinary users, on the condition that this dicussion happens only within the confines of a dedicated sub-forum. One of the things that makes people upset is if they feel they have a legitimate point of view and are not permitted to express it. Clamping down on this tends to make the problem worse, because the more you clamp down, the more people feel that their "right" to self-expression is being denied; this is what leads to explosions of "inb4lock" threads.

Having ongoing, heated discussions about moderation decisions within the thread where the original offending post occurred is definitely NOT desirable, as it drags threads off-topic and generates far too much noise rather than signal. But instead of banning this sort of discussion altogether it would be better (IMO) to allow it, but only in an area where it cannot derail any of the actual MUD-related discussion. The proposed new location where moderation decisions are posted would be the ideal place for this. But I don't think it should be a simple notice board, it should be a place for discussion.
05 Aug, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 138th comment:
Davion said:
It's hard enough coming up with 3 names let alone 15 :)

I laughed out loud at this, sorry :smile:

Maybe two days and 10 pages of discussion is enough of a general consensus for the Admins to make their decision, before this thread becomes in need of said new moderator? :)
06 Aug, 2009, Davion wrote in the 139th comment:
Davion said:
Heh, I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm a little curious. Now before I ask this, I'd rather you answer me in a PM. Who would actually -want- this kind of responsibility? Keep in mind, the initial constant scrutiny you'll be under. As well as the current precedent for enforcing the rules.

Just wanted to make sure that no one missed the above. Now! I have another question you guys can answer sending me a PM! I want you to send me 3 names of people you'd like to see as a moderator. For those who already voted for themselves, you only have to send two :). Anyone and everyone please answer!
06 Aug, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 140th comment:
Davion said:
Davion said:

Just wanted to make sure that no one missed the above. Now! I have another question you guys can answer sending me a PM! I want you to send me 3 names of people you'd like to see as a moderator. For those who already voted for themselves, you only have to send two :). Anyone and everyone please answer!

.. so basically we are voting? Wasn't that dismissed earlier in this discussion?
120.0/397