30 Aug, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have another question for you Linux guru's. I'm trying to run a VB prog in Linux my issue is I can't get mono to compile/use this program. How do I compile the .EXE file to work?
30 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Is it a VB.net program? I was under the impression that you just ran the Mono compiler/interpreter on it without doing anything special. Have you tried following a VB.net "hello world" example with Mono?
30 Aug, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 3rd comment:
See i'm confused here. I want to run a VB game client and a VB game server under linux. I need to get the apps to run under linux and wine works like a charm accept for this VB prog. It tells me im missing MSVB60.dll or some crap of that nature. So I did some research and it told me mono is what I need. Now I can't get wine to compile the file to run in linux in the command prompt or in the program itself. I get a invalid PE file message.

Excuse me Mono to compile* or convert/run not wine.
30 Aug, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 4th comment:
Mabey i'm doing it wrong I'm not sure i'm still new to Linux i'm typing the following mono –aot <filename> and it does not work. I also tried mono –config for the file and it does not work also, I must be doing something wrong…

When using –aot I get an Invalid CIL image.
30 Aug, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 5th comment:
Sounds like you're trying to run a VB6 app. Mono only works for VB.NET apps. VB.NET is an entirely different language than earlier versions of VB, rewritten from scratch to run exclusively on the CLR platform. VB6 and earlier apps cannot be run on Linux by any means I'm aware of.
31 Aug, 2009, Noplex wrote in the 6th comment:
I thought that inside the Mono tool-chain there was only a C# compiler? I think the newer release will run compiled .NET code from Visual Studio, but I haven't actually tried.
31 Aug, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 7th comment:
You thought wrong. Mono includes a complete CLR implementation and has used the standard CLR assembly format since the beginning. It also has included a full VB.NET compiler since version 1.2 or so.

The reference to an MSVB60.DLL sounds like the OP has a VB6 app, or he meant MSVC60.DLL. If the latter, that means it's not a true VB app, possibly a VB.NET app that makes use of native code via P/Invoke, which would make it incompatible with anything other than Window
31 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Yup yup. That's why I asked if it was a vb.net program.

Hellion, are you looking at source files or a .exe file? What exactly are we dealing with here? You cannot use Mono on a vb6 executable.
0.0/8